Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sleep Walk - Santo & Johnny

To think that this gem was recorded in 1959 is absolutely mind boggling! When I hear it, I can't get it out of my head for days. I've heard that a lap steel was used and not a pedal steel. If it was a pedal, the pedals weren't used. Google doesn't bring up much.

GY

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK...Jaime, a co-worker (the master of Guitar trivia and Old record collector and Guru of Guitar rebuilding) says: Yes..,its a Fender steel dual neck non pedal. He has the Cover at home and will try to bring it and scan it for ya.
Lynn G

Beautiful, beautiful song. Oops, I mean "tune" ("songs" need words for "singing." :D ) Some great covers out there, too. I especially like Danny Gatton's and Brian Setzer's.

But the original still stands up well.

I usually like Larry Carlton, but his cover of this tune sounds like Muzak. :rolleyes:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Dennyf:

I usually like Larry Carlton, but his cover of this tune sounds like Muzak. :rolleyes:

As much as I love Larry, I agree.

GY

The original was the best. :thu:

I like Larry Carlton's work a lot.

However, the original was the best.

I'm glad that I'm not O L D like da Tedster who remembers when the song first came on the radio. Of course, I know about the song because my parents had the 45. :rolleyes:;)

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The tab is fun fun fun.

I set the backing chords on a loop on my G2 Lexicon rig and have been playing the head changes over and over.

So simple but so great.

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

That's a great song! I agree about Carlton's version too, even though I'm a huge fan of his. I think Brian Setzer does a pretty hot version. I heard Roy Buchanan play it live years ago and he did an exceptional cover of it!

Paul

Great song along with all the great covers (haven't heard LC) !

A non-blues song that can pull at your soul...hehe oddly enough while we're out here I might throw in a chorus of Telstar too - totally different in certin respects though, I just got a flash what can I say ?

:thu:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

The original was the best. :thu:

I like Larry Carlton's work a lot.

However, the original was the best.

I'm glad that I'm not O L D like da Tedster who remembers when the song first came on the radio. Of course, I know about the song because my parents had the 45. :rolleyes:;)

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

Thanks, Gas! I AM old enough to remember when it came out. Loved it then, and love it still. NO cover does Santo and Johnny justice. Pisses me off that the movie "La Bamba" starts out with that tune, but they left it off the soundtrack CD! Just glad I have it elsewhere.

Whatever became of those guys?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived