Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why Do People Say They Hate Facebook?

3 hours ago, Jelly Bombilo said:

If you hate facebook then I can say that now there are many other social networks that are different from facebook. You can use instagram for example, and if you're interested, I can recommend you some great ways to get new followers on instagram. Here on this site you will find a services that will help promote your account, then you will definitely be in everyone's recommendations. So just give it a try

The only think I dislike more than social media that I do not like is spam on social media that I do like... 😇

• Haha 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 5/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, Jelly Bombilo said:

If you hate facebook then I can say that now there are many other social networks that are different from facebook. For example, I am a spammer, and I use spammersridiots.com. the bestest most wonderful spam site forever, it is goodness of maximum amount. By posting this here I got paid 0.000001 cents, and was also given a picture of Pamela Anderson when she was on Baywatch. Is Craig Anderton related to Pam Anderson? Maybe he could hook me up if he just joined spammersridiots.com?

Here on this site you will find a services that will help promote your account, then you will definitely be in everyone's recommendations of all time, and prime candidate for word salad spam posting. So just give it a try! May you all have happy happy online experience and posting of word salad posts as if spoken by maybe a dog! 

See what happens if you even mention Facebook in a thread?

Or at least that's what he/she/it/they wrote. But, I decided they really wanted to say something else! So I did a little, uh, creative editing on the post

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't hate Facebook. I accept it for what it is. I enjoy keeping in touch with friends. I promote my band(s) and gigs. If I engage in a pointless argument with somebody I don't know, I think of it as entertainment, as well as stretching my brain to keep logic and writing skills in shape. If it's an argument with a friend or somebody I know, I try to find a way to agree ... or at least be agreeable. It's not a time suck. I actually get some things accomplished on Facebook. Also, I have a busy and fulfilling Real Life so FB does not fill that need. 

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

20 hours ago, analogika said:

Link is dead. 😢

Because our fearless moderator edited it.

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

31 minutes ago, The Real MC said:

After seeing more and more ads in my newsfeed, I have decided to unplug FB for a while.  If FB wants to drive away members, ruining the experience by bombarding members with ads is a good way to do it.

That's part of what I'm talking about!

I had a LOT of "friends" and slowly but surely unfollowed almost everybody that posted. They didn't know how to avoid that thing where your cell phone is hooked up to Facebook and "Cecilia is looking at gardening utensils" "Mortimer just bought a six pack" and other random shit llke that popped up constantly. 

Once I'd unfollowed almost everybody who ever posted, it was time to make it go away. I get more done and am far less annoyed. 

Last time I checked, the world did indeed rotate before Facebook became part of it. So you can safely uninstall and ignore it, without causing damage to the fabric of the universe as we know it :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Real MC said:

I never ever put the FB app on my mobile for many reasons, and I was well aware of FB's aggressive marketing.

I reported every damn ad that appeared in my newsfeed, and they keep coming back.  The reports don't work and FB likes it that way.

Play some videos from friends, and now FB bombards me with "suggested videos" IE ads.

FB pushes groups that my friends commented on, whose content does not interest me.  Because they are ads disguised as "groups".

I had to snooze friends because the games they play infiltrate their friends list, and I get bombarded with ads disguised as "I scored xxx%".  I looking at YOU, "Thug Life".

God damn it, enough is enough.  I walked away from cable TV since 2000 because of the increasingly intrusive ads, and I may have to do the same to FB.

It's taken them a while to turn us into "numbers" but they have done it.

I haven't owned a televsion for almost 40 years and I don't want one. MPN is the only social media site I'm on at this point. It's pretty chill here...

24 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

It's pretty chill here...

That's because it doesn't degenerate into uncontrolled, regenerative feedback. I forget the exact details, but when publishers were moving to the web, there was a debate at one company whether to allow comments or not. After a fairly lengthy study, they found that on average, after 3.8 comments, additional comments turned into negative gibberish.

Because MPN is discussion-based rather than comment-based, it's self-moderating. In reality, the moderators here don't do much other than start discussions and participate. The forumites themselves moderate the forums, by the nature of the discussions they create.

On craiganderton.org, I turned off commenting. However, I thought "But what if I make a mistake? How will I know to correct it?" So on the home page, I include a note that says commenting is turned off, but there's a dedicated email given for corrections or comments. That has done a fantastic job of keeping out the riff-raff, because the people who just want attention know that the world won't see what they say, but the people who want to make the site better can communicate directly with the person who can do something about it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anderton said:

That's because it doesn't degenerate into uncontrolled, regenerative feedback. I forget the exact details, but when publishers were moving to the web, there was a debate at one company whether to allow comments or not. After a fairly lengthy study, they found that on average, after 3.8 comments, additional comments turned into negative gibberish.

Because MPN is discussion-based rather than comment-based, it's self-moderating. In reality, the moderators here don't do much other than start discussions and participate. The forumites themselves moderate the forums, by the nature of the discussions they create.

On craiganderton.org, I turned off commenting. However, I thought "But what if I make a mistake? How will I know to correct it?" So on the home page, I include a note that says commenting is turned off, but there's a dedicated email given for corrections or comments. That has done a fantastic job of keeping out the riff-raff, because the people who just want attention know that the world won't see what they say, but the people who want to make the site better can communicate directly with the person who can do something about it.

Spot on! 

It's not the 3 comments, it's the .8 that cause

8 hours ago, The Real MC said:

I never ever put the FB app on my mobile for many reasons, and I was well aware of FB's aggressive marketing.

I reported every damn ad that appeared in my newsfeed, and they keep coming back.  The reports don't work and FB likes it that way.

[…]

I had to snooze friends because the games they play infiltrate their friends list, and I get bombarded with ads disguised as "I scored xxx%".  I looking at YOU, "Thug Life".

Ads give you the option to "show less like these", or to block outright scams or ads based on misinformation. Obviously, reporting every single ad regardless of content is not going to make a difference, because ads are the business. It's like writing a letter to the editor for every single newspaper ad — they'll just roll their eyes and ignore you. 

It's thankfully really easy to block game invites and "Rosemary collected a strawberry in Turd Garden App!" notifications. 

• Haha 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

7 hours ago, Anderton said:

This is a RARE phenomenon, and due entirely to the fact that this particular group of people are pretty thoroughly awesome. 

This is NOT the norm on internet forums, and never has been. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

10 hours ago, The Real MC said:

God damn it, enough is enough.  I walked away from cable TV since 2000 because of the increasingly intrusive ads, and I may have to do the same to FB.

9 hours ago, Anderton said:

Last time I checked, the world did indeed rotate before Facebook became part of it. So you can safely uninstall and ignore it, without causing damage to the fabric of the universe as we know it :)

I quit watching all TV in the 1980s when I took a gig on a cruise ship. The 3-week gig lasted 3 years. When I got home, I hooked up the cable, found I wasn't watching it, and disconnected. I never got around to putting an antenna up, and living in a fringe area, that means zero TV.

Out of curiosity, I went to my mother-in-law's house to watch the last Johnny Carson Tonight show and the first Jay Leno Tonight show. The last 2 programs I watched on TV.

I quit Facebook when the Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal came out. I couldn't be an accomplice to that and have a clear conciense.

And you know what? Life is better without TV and FB!!!

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

It ought to be mentioned that the belief that deleting your Facebook account means that you are no longer feeding their algorithms is really heart-warmingly naïve. 

Facebook has a file on you and tracks you across the entire web, long before you ever sign up to use their service and populate that file with a (possibly fake) name and some photographs not available elsewhere. And of course they keep tracking you after you delete your profile, even if they might be forced to start over, depending upon what exactly is stipulated by local laws and the actual terms of termination. 

The dependency upon local laws is, of course, not a thing, unless they are caught in violation and sued. 

• Like 2
  • Annoyed 1

The sad part is, sometimes FB is the only way we have to reach some people. I'm talking about people we've met in actual real life. I met up with someone I knew from high school last weekend, and a) we only could have done that through FB, and 2) to set up the get together, we did it through Messenger (FB). We don't have each other's contact info otherwise. I've had other cases where I know people from events, happy hours, other networking events, and we've only stayed in touch via FB. Sometimes, one of us will ask for a phone number so we can message via a real service, but it doesn't always go that way.

My point is, that for some people I want to stay in touch with, FB is the only way. When people remove themselves from FB completely for whatever reason, that can mean cutting off a number of real contacts. And not everyone will see the announcement that says, "I'm leaving FB, if you want to stay in touch, message me by 5 pm today and I'll send you my contact info." Oops, too late, he's gone.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't hate Facebook. I hate Meta. 🤨

Aw hell, I barely have the energy to hate the things I really hate anymore. I got ahead of the curve of people's social media crapiness early, thanks to Usenet. When I kept seeing people on even alt.poetry carve each other new ones at every turn, it ruined the idea of community or more than minimal human connection. The reek of cheap monkey dominance was revolting. KC is one of the precious rarities.  

Its like a "Family Guy" scene I recall. Peter says "That smells like Fred Flinstone's ass."

Cut to a head panel of Fred, who says "Ah, nobody's askin' you to smell it." :D

Here's another winner. Tony Randall is on Letterman, recounting a recent social aggravation. Dave gets a laugh with "So sue the crap out of 'em." To his great credit, Tony draws himself up with indignation and says "I will not. This is the most casually litigious country on Earth and I won't waste the court's time with something so frivolous. It doesn't warrant legal action." Hear hear! :clap:

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

19 hours ago, analogika said:

It ought to be mentioned that the belief that deleting your Facebook account means that you are no longer feeding their algorithms is really heart-warmingly naïve. 

I followed instructions from PC.World mag on how to delete my data from Facebook. .

I also have a Facebook tracking blocker on my browser and I use a VPN.

If I'm feeding FB at all, I'm feeding them pennies, not dollars.

And life is better without FB

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

17 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

My point is, that for some people I want to stay in touch with, FB is the only way.

I got on, so my children could share pictures with me. When I got off, I told them that they know my e-mail address.

If someone wants to keep in touch with me, and is too busy or lazy to send me a personal message, instead of posting on FB, then I don't need to know.

11 hours ago, David Emm said:

I got ahead of the curve of people's social media crapiness early, thanks to Usenet.

Usenet is the reason for my screen name. When I joined alt.saxophone there was already a Robert Norton and a Bob Norton registered. So I took the nickname that my sister's business partner used to call me, "Notes". Now that I have established businesses with that name, it's become a keeper.

Usenet was fine until the spammers discovered it.

If it wasn't for Usenet, I wouldn't have discovered the Yamaha Wind MIDI Controller so soon, or later the Yamaha VL70m physical modeling synth module. The community I used to share on Usenet has now been replaced by moderated forums like this one.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

22 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

If someone wants to keep in touch with me, and is too busy or lazy to send me a personal message, instead of posting on FB, then I don't need to know

I knew someone would say that. :D

could live without having contact info for a lot of those people. When I met with Alexandria last weekend, that was the first time we've been together in 36 years. Most of the rest of my classmates it has been as long. I've done without them for that amount of time (and they me), so I could go either way. I choose not to. But there have been cases where FB relationships have turned into real ones. Do I wish FB was better about all that stuff people hate about it? Sure. If FB vanished from the face of the Earth today, would I live and be happy? Damned straight. But for me, it's like anything else. I decide how much of it I have in my life. There have been times when scrolling on it was depressing or rage-inducing, and I closed it and did something else, forgetting about it. Most of what I share on social media is me having fun with what I post. It's the same reason I don't watch or read much news. I don't really need to know everything that's going on everywhere at every minute. It's not going to change whether I know it or not. I can take a few minutes and catch up, and then get back to my life.

But I'm not trying to convince anyone what they should or should not do. I'm just saying there are reasons some of us deal with "free evil" like FB. I'd rather not deal with them, and I try to limit what they get from me. But I'm getting something from it as well. Lately, I've been on it much less because I've been busy, and I'm fine with that. Zero social media is a reasonable number as well. If that's what you want in your life, that's cool. Just know that if I need to reach you, I may not be able to. ;) 

But I do think it's funny that people complain about targeted advertising. People complain about irrelevant advertising. "But targeted ads are creepy," they say. Well, I wonder how many cases are simply a type of cognitive bias. They went to Home Depot and now they see ads for Home Depot. They cannot prove that there weren't just as many ads for Home Depot before that they just didn't notice. You'd think people would appreciate relevant ads. Back when the Stones had a tour in the 90s and they were sponsored by Budweiser or someone like that, people complained the Stones had sold out. An interviewer asked Keith about it and he replied, "It's the Americans who complain the most about it, and it's their bloody system!!!" :roll:I think of that when Americans complain about targeted ads. It's capitalism. It's not the best system, but it's ours.

I played for my high school's 50th class reunion. It was fun because I used to play for the high school dances when I was in school. Even met an old girlfriend. Although it was a lot of fun, I have no desire to keep in constant touch with any of them on FB or other media. To each his/her own, I guess. That was the past, I have new friends now that I get to see in person.

I have +500 people on my duo's mailing list, many of whom I see weekly. I've been out on their boats, had dinner with them, been to their homes, and some fans from Canada and Europe have invited me to stay in their homes if I ever get into their area. Our fans aren't really fans, they are extended family to us.

I don't hate FB, I just don't want to aid and abet with my data someone who committed fraud to manipulate a US election.

Plus, I prefer more targeted social media, like the half dozen forums I visit.

I don't pass judgement on those who love FB, it's just not my thing.

(me) If someone wants to keep in touch with me, and is too busy or lazy to send me a personal message, instead of posting on FB, then I don't need to know

(Joe) I knew someone would say that.

(Me again) And I really mean it.

If my neighbor wants to show me what she had for dinner, send me a picture, if my kids want to show me something they did, send the picture, if my old bandmate wants to share a triumph with me, e-mail me. It's not more difficult than a 'private' message in FB. BTW, the FB bot reads your private messages looking for keywords to put in your file.

Besides, when I was on FB, it was more like anti-social media than social media :D

There is more than one right way to go through life, this is my way.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

I'm on Facebook under an assumed name. I go there purely to see what certain bands and authors that I like are up to

I have no interest in having 'friends' on Facebook

I also have nothing to hide. I'm a very boring person

I have to acknowledge Notes' point about learning of Yamaha's VL-70 via Usenet. I made one of my best musical friends there, which matters even more, lately. He thinks in weird time signatures like I do, so he's also well-positioned to call me on my clams or moments of fetid mixing. My sister, by contrast, just stares at my second head rudely when I foolishly present her with my latest opus. What am I thinking? I already know she's going to look like she just whiffed way-out-of-date milk. 

So sure, with careful filtering, you can glean SOME good from it all. I simply got tired of ending most Usenet sessions feeling like I had just crawled out of the sewer pipe in "The Shawshank Redemption." 🤢 :Python:  I'm not holding my breath for civility to suddenly blossom on social media, but I believe every host for it will gradually decay and fall out of favor until the general model will come to lose profitability. Until then, stay tuned for more of "OW! MY BALLS!"

• Haha 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

On 6/11/2022 at 10:30 PM, David Emm said:

I simply got tired of ending most Usenet sessions feeling like I had just crawled out of the sewer pipe in "The Shawshank Redemption."

For me, when forums arrived on the www, Usenet posts got slimmer and slimmer and eventually even the spammers abandoned it. I haven't visited Usenet in a long time. I think I still have the app though.

The sax newsgroups were replaced by Sax On The Web https://www.saxontheweb.net// and The Woodwind Forum https://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Every social media platform has its downparts and advantages. My guess is, It's easier to get in touch with other like minded users on FB, but shitstorm is always around the corner, if it's just a tiny bit controversial. Youtube on the other hand makes it harder to communicate directly, it's mostly a one way street. It takes time to learn to stay alive on both platforms and to make the best out of it. Still, the tendency to feel "home" for me is rather with YT. More media, less words. 😉 A good example why YT feels more peaceful than FB: