Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Adapter for Korg PlugKey to new iPad Pro?

drawback

I'm thinking of getting a new iPad Pro and am wondering if any PlugKey users have found an adapter that will work.

Specs say USB-3/USB-4/Thunderbolt so I'm not even sure what to look for.

Here for the gear.

New iPads come with a Lightning to USB-C adapter. Korg Plug Key is not compatible with USB-C, from what I can tell. As someone who has just purchased a still factory sealed iPad, I hope I am wrong. If I am, I will purchase a PlugKey. Korg has discontinued them, best I can tell.
:nopity:

New iPads come with a Lightning to USB-C adapter. Korg Plug Key is not compatible with USB-C, from what I can tell. As someone who has just purchased a still factory sealed iPad, I hope I am wrong. If I am, I will purchase a PlugKey. Korg has discontinued them, best I can tell.

I wasn't aware the new iPads come with a Lightning to USB-C adapter! Good news.

I've searched for one of those, but they're usually Male Lightning to Male USB-C patch cords or adapters. In order to use the Plugkey, we need a Female Lightning to Male USB-C. You sure that's what comes with the new iPads?

Also â I've seen at least one adapter that charges only, does not transmit audio.

Here for the gear.

hey Rod, copied and pasted this from the order sheet on the 2020 8th Generation iPad I just received.

"In the Box : iPad, Lightning to USB-C Cable, USB-C Power Adapter"

Since I have not yet opened it I can not say for sure what gender the cables are.

I'm holding off opening it until I am sure I am keeping it. I am an iPad noob, completely.

Hoping Noah and/or Scott will see this thread and reply.

I think if it's saying a cable it's going to be usb-c male (goes into the ipad) and lightning male for connecting to lightning devices (?) that would be pretty useless for me.

That said I see what looks like usb c male to lightning female (sockets) adapters on amazon, so that may work.

Can't wait until everything uses the same dang connector, by the time it happens they'll likely move on to something else!

I was in another forum where all this adapter madness was the subject, and one person linked some cables that had attached adapters of different types. More expensive, but more flexible, and having the tips attached to the cable via a little lanyard dealie means it's hard to lose the dang things.

I have my iPad Pro 3rd Generation sitting right here in front of me and only connector is USB-C. Then checked the Apple site for it and it says.

In the Box

iPad Pro

USB-C Charge Cable (1 meter)

18W USB-C Power Adapter

Display

So I guess it depends on what model you get.

copied from Korg's website, "plugKEY Pre-Purchase FAQ"

Which iPhone,iPad,iPod touch model can I use this with?

May 02, 2021 15:58

plugKEY is compatible with the following models.

iPhone 7 PlusãiPhone 7ãiPhone SEãiPhone 6s PlusãiPhone 6sãiPhone 6 PlusãiPhone 6ãiPhone 5sãiPhone 5cãiPhone 5ãiPad mini 4ãiPad Air 2ãiPad mini 3ãiPad AirãiPad mini 2ãiPad miniãiPad 4th genãiPod touch 6th genãiPod touch 5th gen

They may be just listing models that they know work that have lightning. One of those adapters might (I'd think should) do the trick to go between the Korg and your ipad but you may not know until you try it.

While I don't have a plugkey, I'm following this a bit as I'd like to get a new ipad mini this year when it comes out, I've read it will have usb c.

May well be true, however the largest single music retailer in the USA has this product as "no longer available" on their website. It would be unusual for Korg to discontinue a product if it were still viable, n'est pas?

I was thinking for a USB-C iPad - the Roland Rubix 22 audio interface might be a better option over the Korg PlugKey.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/rubix22/

Pros:

+ near the price range of the PlugKey ~US$160

+ single direct cable (no dongles/adapters)

+ audio outs/headphone jack/ MIDI DIN

+ supports iOS

Cons:

- not as compact as PlugKey

- requires external power adapter

- still needs powered hub for USB MIDI devices

>> not sure if it can charge the iPad/iPhone

I was thinking for a USB-C iPad - the Roland Rubix 22 audio interface might be a better option over the Korg PlugKey.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/rubix22/

Pros:

+ near the price range of the PlugKey ~US$160

+ single direct cable (no dongles/adapters)

+ audio outs/headphone jack/ MIDI DIN

+ supports iOS

Cons:

- not as compact as PlugKey

- requires external power adapter

- still needs powered hub for USB MIDI devices

>> not sure if it can charge the iPad/iPhone

Yes, a new interface is probably where this is headed! The Rubix 22 looks very good.

Here for the gear.

Yes, a new interface is probably where this is headed! The Rubix 22 looks very good.

How about the Zoom U-24?

Either way, I also like that these have the MIDI Out that the PlugKey lacked, allowing you to do things like use the iPad to set Program Changes to your attached hardware devices.

I'm also wondering whether iOS apps allow you to address the 4 outs rather than 2 that some interfaces have, to give you the equivalent of the "assignable outs" feature some of us like to have on our boards, so that different sounds can go to different outboard destinations (outboard effects units like the Vent, or different mixer channels, or different amps, or click out).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm also wondering whether iOS apps allow you to address the 4 outs rather than 2 that some interfaces have, to give you the equivalent of the "assignable outs" feature some of us like to have on our boards, so that different sounds can go to different outboard destinations (outboard effects units like the Vent, or different mixer channels, or different amps, or click out).

For the DJ digital gear I use, as long as the hardware supports the extra outs, iOS on the iPad has been able to output different audio streams to the multiple outs.

The KORG plug key doesn"t work with the new iPads. I already tried. BlueTooth would be better. Also, Apple wants it"s users, to only use their products.

What adapter did you try it with?

I agree with Bluetooth being the optimal interface, if it doesn't come with too much latency.

Here for the gear.

The KORG plug key doesn"t work with the new iPads. I already tried. BlueTooth would be better. Also, Apple wants it"s users, to only use their products.

I agree with Bluetooth being the optimal interface, if it doesn't come with too much latency.

I don"t remember! I got it online, from some electronics store. It was supposed to be a USB-C that slipped over the Lighting cable. However, when plugged it into my iPad, the Plug Key did not light up. I think Apple made some changes when the put the USB-C on.

I don"t remember! I got it online, from some electronics store. It was supposed to be a USB-C that slipped over the Lighting cable. However, when plugged it into my iPad, the Plug Key did not light up. I think Apple made some changes when the put the USB-C on.

Yeah, as I said in the original post, Apple specs aren"t exactly forthcoming.

Here for the gear.

Yeah, as I said in the original post, Apple specs aren"t exactly forthcoming.

True!

• 9 months later...

Reviving this zombie thread.... I have a 5-year old iPad (basic 5th generation) that I want to swap out for a newer 9th generation.  It still uses the Lightning interface and not the USB-C.  Is there any reason my Korg Plug Key won't work with a newer "base model" iPad that still uses Lightning connector?    I don't have access to one to test here even though it's not listed as a supported device.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

1 hour ago, jeffinpghpa said:

Reviving this zombie thread.... I have a 5-year old iPad (basic 5th generation) that I want to swap out for a newer 9th generation.  It still uses the Lightning interface and not the USB-C.  Is there any reason my Korg Plug Key won't work with a newer "base model" iPad that still uses Lightning connector?    I don't have access to one to test here even though it's not listed as a supported device.

I bought the newer ipad 9th gen with lightning out and it worked fine with my Korg Plugkey in a recent rehearsal

• Cool 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

1 hour ago, jeffinpghpa said:

I just purchased both a iPad Pro (USB-C) (which will be my music tool and I need to understand if and what of my old gear works), but also a last generation 'base model' iPad (9th gen) with the old lightning connector.  I can do a test over the weekend if you'd like.

This guy to be clear - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1664332-REG/apple_mk2p3ll_a_10_2_ipad_wi_fi_256gb.html/overview

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

17 minutes ago, yannis D said:

I bought the newer ipad 9th gen with lightning out and it worked fine with my Korg Plugkey in a recent rehearsal

Thanks, Yannis!  That's great.  I'm going to upgrade my 5 year old iPad basic this year.  The new models probably come out in September so I'll either get the latest and greatest after the summer, or if they end-of-life the lightning connector on the new iPads I'll just get a 9th gen on clearance.  This is perfect.

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I'm debating the pros and cons of usb-c vs lightning on any new ipad I get as well.   Right now the ipad connects directly to the MODX, though I have experimented with using a hub so both my keyboards and talk midi back and forth with the ipad (and with each other if the app can route it).   My two top contenders would be a usb-c mini or a lightning standard ipad.  Both would be way more powerful than my current 4th gen ipad, which doesn't struggle it must be said.

22 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I'm debating the pros and cons of usb-c vs lightning on any new ipad I get as well.   Right now the ipad connects directly to the MODX, though I have experimented with using a hub so both my keyboards and talk midi back and forth with the ipad (and with each other if the app can route it).   My two top contenders would be a usb-c mini or a lightning standard ipad.  Both would be way more powerful than my current 4th gen ipad, which doesn't struggle it must be said.

Yes, I agree.  I would use the new iPad as a sound engine for more cores and processing power, and keep my 5 year old iPad, but dedicate its purpose more for chart reading and mixing apps (for a future digital box such as an XR18, etc.).  I know the Korg Plug Key is a bit obsolete now that most all devices are no longer using Lightning connector, but it is a nice product for iPads that can still use it.