Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Caterpillar head toy fuzz box

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/msg/d/ferndale-toy-caterpillar-head-fuzz/7342007499.html

Photo attached in case it sells. $15, I have the money but I don't use pedals anymore and I am not into fuzz much. Just thought it was fun and wanted to share it!

:crazy: Pretty silly... ! :laugh::D:wave:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Maybe if you heard it first, it might be worth $15?

Maybe it is, to somebody. This is a listing bounce so it's not in demand apparently.

No footswitch, cheap plastic housing. None of that bothers me.

I have Tech 21 Tri-AC, Tech 21 Double Drive 3x, Tech 21 Bass Driver DI and Tech 21 Para Driver DI (both V2 on the the last 2)

I can get just about any thing from a slightly gritty clean to a screaming stack cranked with those. I do use them to record. I don't use them live, the less stuff on the floor the happier I am.

I'm running a Boss Katana 50 Combo MkII (just sold the 100 Mk I and bought it) and/or a Roland Cube 40gx live, straight in with one guitar cord and one small 2 pedal footswitch on the floor.

I am considering getting my Tech21 Killer Wail wah pedal fixed and adding that in but I really like as little as possible on the floor.

Long ago I owned a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, a Bazz Box, and the original big box Big Muff. I know what fuzz is, just not my thing.

I feel that lower levels of distortion and compression leave more potential for an individual tone and expression, fuzz is too over the top. You lose subtle dynamics and tonal variation in favor of gigantic edge of feedback splat noise tone.

That's my spin, I just don't like fuzz and don't use it.

A friend notes the variety of tones I get, then he goes back to picking as hard as he can with a medium pick and playing through compression and distortion. Everything sounds the same.

I can tell him why but it's up to him for that to sink in. It's been a couple of years since I stated my case and gave him a 2mm gator pick and nothing has changed on his end.

A thick pick is a great volume control if you haven't flatlined the rest of your tone. Fuzz is just not for me.

But this is funny, funny is for everybody!!! :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It would be a cute child's pedal for a budding little rock star. I couldn't find anything on-line or on YouTube for a sound demo... :cool:

Pretty sure it's a one-off from a local pedal kit builder who's child broke the head off the caterpillar.

There have been times when I'm walking the thrift stores and think about starting a band that only uses children's toys for instruments. Not sure how much mileage you could get out of that but one hit song is all you need.

It would be a cute child's pedal for a budding little rock star. I couldn't find anything on-line or on YouTube for a sound demo... :cool:

Pretty sure it's a one-off from a local pedal kit builder who's child broke the head off the caterpillar.

There have been times when I'm walking the thrift stores and think about starting a band that only uses children's toys for instruments. Not sure how much mileage you could get out of that but one hit song is all you need.

@Kuru Prionz - See if you can find a copy of The Residents' "Diskomo/Goosebump" online somewhere. "Diskomo" is a Disco-ized version of the music from "Eskimo", but the flip side, "Goosebump", is a slight twisted collection of children's songs and nursery rhymes, with the Music performed entirely on Instruments provided by Toys-R-Us.

[video:youtube]

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

@Kuru Prionz - See if you can find a copy of The Residents' "Diskomo/Goosebump" online somewhere. "Diskomo" is a Disco-ized version of the music from "Eskimo", but the flip side, "Goosebump", is a slight twisted collection of children's songs and nursery rhymes, with the Music performed entirely on Instruments provided by Toys-R-Us.

It's been a very long time since I last heard this. This was from a very fertile, creative period for the Rz, just a year or so before I started touring with them, running their sound. You have to view this in the context of the very early 1980s to get a sense of how astonishingly original this was. Nobody, absolutely nobody, sounded like this then, & the whole notion of doing defiantly unusual music just wasn't in the air at that time. I loved working with The Residents, it was really artistically rewarding. Groundbreaking stuff, they largely were responsible for inspiring the DIY movement of the 80s.

Thanks for posting this Winston, & bringing back the memories.

Scott Fraser

Thanks Winston, I have a long history of mangling sounds, ideas, etc. I'll post a link to this one because it might be the least offensive of The Posers catalog.

We used a 4 track Tascam in the late 80's, 3 of us would meet, create an idea for a song, write lyrics and record in one sitting. Mix down was a separate process, in large part because I only had on Effectron delay and stuff could always be more mangled. Hula Boy is the story of a man who decides to skin himself alive.

https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse/tracks/hula-boy/171612

It would be hilarious if that pedal was an utterly blistering fuzz housed in such a cutesy container.

Stack it into a Miku Stomp and chase feedback noises...

• Like 1

Kerrang!: 'What made this album so brutal?'

Guitarist: 'Well, I split my signal. One side I kept clean but high-gain, the other channel, I put a Caterpillar fuzz into a Miku Stomp, which then went into a Rainbow Machine, a Spectre flanger and a looper. I"ve never gotten a heavier sound!'

• Haha 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Kerrang!: 'What made this album so brutal?'

Guitarist: 'Well, I split my signal. One side I kept clean but high-gain, the other channel, I put a Caterpillar fuzz into a Miku Stomp, which then went into a Rainbow Machine, a Spectre flanger and a looper. I"ve never gotten a heavier sound!'

[font:Book Antiqua]None more- Cute...[/font] :evil::rocker:

18852318-7497033-image-a-26_1569292140610.jpg

Ah, yes, that's what we need, a Baby Taz pedal . . . Combine that with the MIKU, and who cares what it does?

@Scott Fraser - Glad you enjoyed that. I loved that period of The Residents, which is how I wound up at the Pension Building for The Mole Show: I couldn't let myself miss it!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

@Scott Fraser - Glad you enjoyed that. I loved that period of The Residents, which is how I wound up at the Pension Building for The Mole Show: I couldn't let myself miss it!

THAT was an amazing show, one which still stands out as among the most memorable live music events for me of the last 40+ years of mixing.

Scott Fraser

Ah, yes, that's what we need, a Baby Taz pedal . . . Combine that with the MIKU, and who cares what it does?

Baby Taz pedal demo. I'd probably add some delay.

Jennifer S.

Baby Taz pedal demo. I'd probably add some delay.

That's funny!!! This whole thread is funny!!!!

It just made me remember the Tasmanian Devil in the Looney Tune cartoons. That was Mel Blanc, he sounded just like a Tasmanian Devil but funnier!!

That caterpillar fuzz box has earned it's keep in laughs! :laugh:

Gotta sayâ¦the cartoon SFX were surprisingly accurate!

Nowâ¦who can make a Baby Taz Fuzzstortion pedal that can make that sound?

Bit of a cheat, but any Digital Delay or Looper will capture and play back the Screaming Tasmanian Devil.

Wa-a-ay back, the band Timbuk 3 had a song titled "Sample The Dog", inspired in part by the wave of cheap samplers, like the famous (or infamous) Casio SK-1, and this commercial . . .

• Like 1

Gotta sayâ¦the cartoon SFX were surprisingly accurate!

Nowâ¦who can make a Baby Taz Fuzzstortion pedal that can make that sound?

Bit of a cheat, but any Digital Delay or Looper will capture and play back the Screaming Tasmanian Devil.

Wa-a-ay back, the band Timbuk 3 had a song titled "Sample The Dog", inspired in part by the wave of cheap samplers, like the famous (or infamous) Casio SK-1, and this commercial . . .

I loved T3 back in the day!

But I was thinking less of a straight sample, and more of something like the Miku. Except instead of a variety of phrases, it would apply that screaming rasp to the input like a fuzz/distortion pedal would.

Or maaaaybe a Tazzed up version of something like the Last Gasp Sandstorm:

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/