Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - using AirPods as hearing aids?

My wife has some hearing loss and may need to get some hearing aids. I understand that, starting with iOS 14, iPhones and AirPods together might be a possible alternative.

Do any of you have any experience or thoughts in this area? Many thanks in advance!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wearing hearing aids since I was three. Hearing impaired in both ears due to birth defect.

Trust me when I say that the Apple products - or any mobile for that matter - are no substitute for a hearing aid properly configured by a licensed audiologist.

I've been wearing hearing aids since I was three. Hearing impaired in both ears due to birth defect.

Trust me when I say that the Apple products - or any mobile for that matter - are no substitute for a hearing aid properly configured by a licensed audiologist.

Thank you! That"s helpful. And I hope that your hearing aids work for you and help you.

There are two different product categories here. The recent appearance of relatively inexpensive ($200-$500) in-ear devices are "personal audio amplifiers" that can be adjusted remotely from a phone. They're effective for people with modest hearing loss, primarily due to aging. The tricks you can do with a phone is to adjust the overall EQ to your personal test and apply curves and limiting that are helpful for listening in specific circumstances such as restaurants or concerts.

Hearing aids (generally $2000 and up) do more stuff, based on customizing from an audiologist who adjusts them based on your specific hearing condition. It's a bit of a racket since the hardware is expensive and can only be optimized by someone who really has all the data about your hearing loss (which is usually an expensive add-on).

The two are not interchangeable.