Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don�t try this at home: Don Pullen style

Go to 4:00 and wait for it. I love how he always maintains the left hand chords:

[video:youtube]

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to spend around 4 hours alone once hanging out with Don Pullen. He was a kind, dignified, and gentle cat. He let me look carefully at his hand. He said people called it "cadaver hands." The skin was dry and hard, pale in color, and scratched up or rather lightly scarred looking. The hand looked as if it might have belonged to a martial artist who had trained to toughen it up by plunging it repeatedly into a bucket of hot sand. He had a round dark callous the size of a nickle on the edge of the side of his palm. He said sometimes it would bleed a little if the piano had some rough edges that might catch him. He could also play with great sensitivity and had been a member of the Charles Mingus band and also played for Nina Simone. Pullen was also deeply involved in the free jazz movements in NYC.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I saw him right after Mingus died at Carnegie Hall with all of Mingus' alum. Couldn't believe his style of playing...it felt like he broke through to another dimension. I read that he was also an accomplished classical player. Just an immense talent. AND, Dannie Richmond (drums) was just astounding. Thanks for posting the vids!
Nord Grand, Nord lead 4, Roli Seaboard 49, Moog Matriarch, Moog One

That right hand swirl sounds like Martian music. He was a guest on the Marian McPartland show, it"s online.