Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gus - I bought some M-Audio Powered Monitors!

The ones I bought are the BX5 and sell for ~ $300/pair.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/product_pics/big/bx5.jpg

The high end is clean, but the bass is not quite as prominent as I would like. I'm thinking of getting the companion SBX subwoofer.

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/product_pics/big/sbx.jpg

But for $300, these things are really nice. I compared them to some KRK Rokit RP-5 powered monitors in the same price range. The KRK had stronger bass, but colored the mid-bass. The M-Audio monitors had extended high end and seemed to be flat throughout their operating range. They just don't have an abundance of bass.

I figure that these speakers were designed with the subwoofer to be included. That makes sense to me.

Anyway, they aren't ADAMs, but at $300/pair they're really pretty good! What are your thoughts on these monitors, Gus?

Thanks,

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gas, I have 5 of the BX-8's to mix surround, and I love them. It took a while to adjust them with my non-M-Audio sub, but it sounds great.

I'm going to get some 5's for my computer rig. They're not as hi-fi as my Genelecs, but at the pricepoint, I think they are better than the Events of the same size.

"For instance" is not proof.

zeronyne! Where have you been? C'mon back to RTP and let me buy you a beer! :thu:

Thanks for your input about these speakers. The price point ($300/pair) really got my attention. I needed something small. I was thinking of putting them in my bedroom to use with the DVD player. But, the wife said "HELL NO!". I can't blame her. They LOOK like studio monitors, not bookshelf speakers. But, I tried to get powered bookshelf speakers. I just couldn't find any that I liked at that price point (that looked good enough so that my wife would stop saying "HELL NO!" :rolleyes:

Small powered speakers are great when you want to get decent sound from a portable CD player, MP3 player, or laptop. That's what I had in mind - something I could put out on the deck when I've got friends over. Right now I'm using my JBL EON 15-PAK. But I've only got one of them and it's overkill for this application.

I don't know if I'll buy the sub or not. I definitely would if they became my primary monitors for my studio. Currently I'm using a pair of KRK KRoKs (passive) for my studio monitors. I still like 'em after all these years. They have an 8" woofer and they seem OK without a sub. So I'll probably just keep these two BX5 as portable sound for the CD player.

Give me a shout when you're in town again. I'll see if I can round up the local SSS folk.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I have the BX8's and I love them, but being a bassist, I would like to have the sub too, even when is not needed, but I like to feel the bass hitting me in the chest :cool:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

ViLo, I can't imagine you not having the subwoofer! As a bassist that's the most important part of the sound spectrum for you.

I listened to these monitors again when I got home from work tonight. $300! WOW! Yup - they're going to find a home somewhere in my house! I'll worry about finding some speakers for the bedroom later.

I've heard that there is a break-in period for speakers. You have to play them loudly for an extended period of time before the woofer loosens a bit. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but... I've heard of guys putting heavy blankets over the speakers, cranking them up and leaving for work. Of course, since these are powered speakers I wouldn't want them to overheat. Have you ever heard of doing this?

For anyone who is considering the purchase of a pair of powered monitors and needs to adhere to a budget, give these a listen. You might be surprised. I know I was! :)

Hi Tom.

Well, I do appreciate the fact you actually liked your speakers.

My opinion? Sure?? :D

To keep this fair, they ain't ADAMs, of course... but they sound terrific... at any price point. And yes, get the subwoofer if you need low frequencies hitting you in the chest.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Hi Gus! :thu:

Thanks for your note!

Yup... I like the speakers. I guess I'm really surprised that I could find a pair that sounded this good for $300.

The thing about buying speakers - especially in a boutique - is that it seems that they set the price along the guidelines of 'How much will the consumer pay?' :mad:

I think that most speakers are overpriced. I'm a guy who chooses 'best for the money'. I'm not concerned if the equipment is made by a manufacturer with a 'GOLDEN' reputation. If another manufacturer produces a product that is just as good, or better, at a lower price point - and I feel good about buying it - then it only makes sense to go for it!

Lots of audiophile electronics are simply overengineered and their retail prices reflect this - and more. Are you really getting what you need or are you getting much more than you need and paying out the wazoo for it?

Sure, if you want to purchase something that's going to last forever, you expect to pay more. That's not my point. All I'm saying is that I think it's prudent to look around and compare products and choose the one that's going to be the best bang for the buck AND one that you feel good about buying.

Lots of people are shying away from attending concerts this summer because of high ticket prices. I think it's because many folks are sick of being gouged. Concert promoters continue to push the price of tickets higher and higher. I think many of us are just saying 'NO'. Not only is it out of the budget for many of us, it's just STUPID to pay out the yingyang for many of these acts. It's time for the promoters to rethink the ticket prices and bring them back in line.

I realize I should have put that paragraph in a different thread, but it does apply.

The M-Audio speakers sound good. That's what is important to me. My budget was closer to $1,000, but I preferred to spend less. I wanted a small, powered speaker. They fit the bill and surprised me with the reasonable price.

I think a subwoofer would be nice, but not mandatory. That's nice as well. However, with the money I saved, I can now go back and get the sub and STILL be under budget.

How cool is that? :thu:

Take care, Gus!

I love the BX5 and BX8 - great value for the money, plus a good sounding & honest monitor. I have the previous model to the BX8 (the studiophile 8) and they are pretty sweet - although the BX series is better. Can't go wrong for $300. I agree about the subwoofer part.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

ViLo, I can't imagine you not having the subwoofer! As a bassist that's the most important part of the sound spectrum for you.

:cool:

Oh I'll get one, believe me! ;)

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

GAS, Thanks for the review. I'm going to be in the market for a new set of computer/recording monitors & for that price, with the quality you say they have, I believe I'll start saving the bucks.

I've been thinking about the Carvin SRS6.5A Studio Monitors, but, at the price & your recommendation I think I'll go with the M-Audios.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Hi Dak!

To be honest, I didn't know much about M-Audio. I knew that Gus worked for them, but I didn't know that they used to be MIDIMAN. That doesn't make a difference. When I went to the music store (with my Steely Dan 'Aja' CD, of course) ;) I wanted to hear which monitors, of all the brands they had, sounded best to MY ears.

Like I said, these and the KRK Rokit were very close. And, it could have been the way the monitors' controls were set - I really couldn't get behind the display to check to knobs and switches. But what I heard told me that the KRK speakers were imposing a coloration in the midrange. They had great bass, but it was not quite natural. The tweeter sounded like it just didn't extend as high as the M-Audio speakers. I figured that I can always add a subwoofer to get more powerfull bass, and it would be better to pick the speaker that has the clearer sound.

When I got home, I carefully unpacked these speakers thinking that I'd probably listen to them for 2 or 3 days and take them back to the store to buy something else. Guitar Center had Mackies, KRK, Event, and maybe a couple of other brands of powered monitors. However, after listening to various CDs in my collection on these speakers, when I leave and return later to listen with fresh ears, I'm happy with my decision.

One day I hope to buy a pair of monitors not caring what they cost. I'm sure there are some really good ones that, in a side-by-side comparison, blow these M-Audio monitors away. That's reasonable. But I'm thrilled that $300 will buy powered speakers with as good of a sound as these.

Take care Dak and keep pickin' and grinnin'! :D

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

The thing about buying speakers - especially in a boutique - is that it seems that they set the price along the guidelines of 'How much will the consumer pay?'

I think that's more in the hi-fi world than in the pro audio world. I think the speakers in the pro audio world are fairly priced, even the ones that cost an arm and a paw.
Dooby Dooby Doo

Archived