Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

7 b9 scale fingering pattern?

Hello all,

Did a search here but couldn't find anything (although I seem to remember it was discussed sometime ago?).

What's the conventional fingering pattern for a 7 b9 scale, ie (in C) C, C#, D#, E, F#, G, A, A# C? I am trying 1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3 in the RH, 4,3,2,1,3,2,1,2,1 in the LH, but it doesn't feel smooth, and in other keys this finger pattern doesn't seem to work for me. Is there a conventional fingering pattern for this scale, or could someone point me to a resource with such details? An internet search has elicited no help thus far.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C-C#-D#-E-F#-G-A-Bb-C. That's what I was taught to call a "diminished" scale - more properly a "half-whole" diminished scale. As far as fingering is concerned, I will tell you what I was taught, and what has worked well for me: use whatever fingering works for you.

The good news here is that - like the diminished 7th chords - there are only three of them to learn. The C diminished scale is exactly the same as the Eb, F#, and A diminished scale; the C# diminished scale is exactly the same as the E, G, and Bb diminished scales; the D diminished scale is exactly the same as the F, Ab, and B diminished scales.

Use the "half/whole" diminished scale when playing over the corresponding dominant seventh chord: i.e. the C half/whole diminished scale is used over a C dom. seventh chord (or the Eb dom. 7th, the F# dom. 7th, and the A dom. 7th chords), or C dom. 7th variants (C9, C7#9, C7b9, etc.- so long as the chord has a maj 3rd and a minor 7th)

I recently learned that the so-called "whole/half" scale is ALSO a diminished scale, but is used when one is soloing over the corresponding diminished 7th chord. So use the C whole/half diminished scale when soloing over a C dim 7th chord. I don't practice the whole/half scale because the C whole/half diminished scale is exactly the same as the B half/whole diminished scale.

Bottom line: use whatever fingering works for you, and you only have 3 unique scales to learn/practice.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

123,12,123 for RH for me on that particular one. Remember to practice overly slowly to start with. I usually pratice at 8bpm, playing whole notes, then half notes, then triplets, then quarter notes.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Thanks for all the input and suggestions, all very helpful. Is there any resource out there which covers fingering options/ best practices for more 'exotic' scales?

Best Practices: Use 1-2-3-1-2-3-4-1 when you can - it will become apparent when this doesn't work. I use 1-2-3-1-2-3-4-1 for all major, natural minor, harmonic minor, and altered scales - the starting finger varies depending on what scale/key you are playing, but the 3-4 pattern holds for all these scales in all 12 keys . For blues scales,pentatonic scales, and diminished scales, I have to use a different fingering - and for me the fingering seems to be unique and idiosyncratic for these scales in the different keys.

In general, if the scale includes black notes, I try to get fingers 3 and 4 up on a black note because this makes passing the thumb under easier. So for F major scale, I play 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-1. I avoid playing the thumb on a black note where I can.

If memory serves, the fingering for the major, harmonic minor, and melodic minor for all 12 keys are written out in Book 2 of the Hanon Exercises.

For all scales, focus on keeping your fingers and wrists relaxed and loose. As nadroj suggests, set the metronome really slow and play quarters, eights, eight-note triplets, and sixteenths. If you are obsessive like me, add in the swing eights and the swing sixteenths - and keep the fingers hands, and wrists relaxed and loose.

Did I mention the importance of keeping the fingers, hands, and wrists loose? Work on keeping the shoulders and back loose as well.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

RH for me:

123,13,123 starting on C.

3,123,123,1 starting on Db.

13,123, 123 starting on D.

Yup, these are fluid and efficient for me as well.

I asked Mike Lemmler (of the Funky Meters and the George Porter Jr. Trio) about his amazing runs and he said he really only used three fingers most of the time.

Another way to look at it -- a diminished scale is the first four notes in two minor scales a tritone apart. And you can play both with 1234 in the RH, or 4321 in the LH.

So in this case the two scales are C# minor and G minor, or E minor and Bb minor.

Diminished scale has 8 tones (plus octave) while all other diatonic scales have 7 notes (+ octave), so it might help to think of it like this as two groups of four notes, which makes it a bit more portable as we're usually familiar with all the minor scales.