Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear dolly with large wheels?

I need a gear dolly for moving amps and keyboards with reasonably large wheels, maybe even air filled. I move stuff out of my basement level and have to roll over my lawn. My current dolly has little wheels with 5" diameter and about 1.5" wide. I don't haul a lot, but when I do, I would like something that was easier to roll across the lawn.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check FB Marketplace and Craigslist for a used Magliner or filmtools clone. They're the standard for the motion picture industry for a reason. Buy once... cry once. You can use them either horizontally or vertically depending on your needs. There are lots of configurations available so do a little research first. A lot of the accessories (nose extension, accessory bag, straps) can be bought new and retrofitted but check first. I actually like the foam filled wheels better than the pneumatic ones. Nothing is a bigger drag than running late to a gig and fooling with a flat on your cart. The magliner may seem expensive at first but the time saved on your loadins and wraps, as well as security for keyboard and equipment, will be money well spent.

If you fly a lot to gigs, Kartmaster Tri-Kart might be worth a look.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

I"ve used the all terrain rocknroller referenced above over grass with gear and also for a host of home transport uses. Solid, works as you"d like.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

My 0.02 - that Magliner that Dave has spoken about several times looks like a beast. It certainly looks a lot beefier than my RnRoller.

Agreed that the RnRoller is hardly as sturdy as the commercial-level units I've seen and used over the years. The one thing it has going for it, as I drive an SUV, is that it folds up really nicely.

Last year I swapped out the front wheels into the add-on pneumatic tires. That was a game changer I should have done years ago.

If you go RnRoller and decide not to go Magliner (which seems like a better choice if I had it to do again and didn't need it to fold), get whatever unit you need and just upgrade the wheels.

I've probably written at least a half-dozen posts on this topic over the years.

replaced the original wheels and got the non-inflatable, flat proof, solid pneumatic tires.

Yes Dave is referring (I think) to the foam filled tires.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

I use a RnR here in Hawaii (Maui) and have to roll across hotel beachfront lawns all the time. It works great with the upgraded wheels - I've replaced one since buying it. While it might not be as strong as the Magliner, for me I've never had an instance where it worried me that it wasn't doing it's job. And I carry 2 KSC K-10 speakers, two suitcases with cable pedals, A Kronos 61 in hard case, a Casio PX-5S in a padded soft case, a Spider Pro stand and a folding piano bench/seat. It's held up fine for almost 9 years now.

I owned my Magliner for over 20 years. Pricey, but mine paid for itself on the first gig I used it on - going from a basement parking garage up to the 42nd floor for a roof party in one schlep. Pneumatic tires are the only way to go.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I'll add another suggestion:

https://www.ruxxac.com/home.html

I've had one of those - the Business XL model, I think, with the longer base - for probably 25 years and it's still going strong. Folds up small enough to fit into an airplane overhead compartment, but strong enough to carry a Fender Rhodes up and down stairs.

It doesn't have the form-factor of a RocknRoller for carrying a large load of stuff all at once, but if what you need to move can fit onto it it's awesome in terms of lightness, portability, and ease of storage.

https://rocknrollercart.com

All Terrain. 8' in the front 10' in the back. Look for a second hand one of price is an issue.

+10 for this brand. We got one for a review at the magazine, and they let us keep it. I was tempted to borrow it and never give it back, but my damn ethical streak got the better of me.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music