Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacing my Nord Stage Classic Compact

Agustin

Hi

Due to COVID I've decided to sell my Nord Classic Compact and replace it for with similar keyboard for about 600 dollars. I'm wasn't impressed by the sound of my Nord Classic at all, I liked them but many times found it was lacking clarity. I'm looking something with at least 73 keys, similar keybed to this Nord and good sounds, don´t care if it's plastic. I've been looking at the Numa Compact 2x, which I can´t find available online at any store. Any other recommendations? I want something with built-in sounds.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played the Stage Classic Compact action, but my understanding is that it's sort of a medium-weight unweighted action. I'm not sure what you will find for that price that will have as nice of an action or better sounds. The sound improvement will be the hardest thing to find.

Trying to think of possibilities. Maybe a used FA-07 if you can find one at that price. Otherwise, a used MOXF might be your best bet. They only had the 61 and 88 models, with the 88 having a somewhat light hammer action.

Look at older flagship models and/or older stage pianos. Up to 2 generations back. Even something like a Yamaha CP40 could work. It all depends on price in your area.

Speaking of which, have you sold the Nord yet? If not, it appears you are in Chile? I'm not sure if you have the option of international shipping and a good way to do it, but those are sold for a bit more than $600-700 in the US still. That could give you a larger budget to work with.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

That said I would potentially be interested...

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

HI, thanks for the reply! I'm not looking for an improvement soundwise, I'm okay with how the Nord sounds, just not blown away with it. I want to sell it here in Chile cause I can get a lot more. The main reason I'm considering selling it is because with the extra money I can buy the guitar rig I need to complete my home studio. If there's a cheaper good option I will sell it, otherwise I'll keep it.

Do you need clonewheel in your new board? Roland VR730 or Korg Vox Continental are contenders for a comparable easy-to-use "stage-friendly" competitors to Nord. Numa Compact is a rare 88-key synth-weighted board. Kurzweil SP6-7 is more of a ROMpler, but still has an organ model.

You should expect your existing Nord to have held its value quite well. I bought a Nord Classic 76 (hammer-action) for £800 (call it $900-$1000) a couple of years ago.

Cheers, Mike.

HI, thanks for the reply! I'm not looking for an improvement soundwise, I'm okay with how the Nord sounds, just not blown away with it. I want to sell it here in Chile cause I can get a lot more. The main reason I'm considering selling it is because with the extra money I can buy the guitar rig I need to complete my home studio. If there's a cheaper good option I will sell it, otherwise I'll keep it.

Ah, okay, got it. I wanted to make sure you weren't being ripped off because $600-700 seemed to be kind of low. I see the Classic Nord Stage models going for around $1,200 these days.

Trying to think of possibilities. Maybe a used FA-07 if you can find one at that price. Otherwise, a used MOXF might be your best bet. They only had the 61 and 88 models, with the 88 having a somewhat light hammer action.

Although he hasn't mentioned it here, over at another forum the OP said he doesn't care about the typical sampled acoustic instrument sounds (strings, brass, winds, guitars, etc.) which the Nord didn't have... he only cares about the same kinds of sounds the Nord had. That leaves us clonewheel organ, pianos (incl EP, clav, etc.), and VA synth. (Though I don't know how important each of those three categories are.) That makes something like a MOXF less of a potential match, particularly from the organ side. FA-07 could kind of do it, if you don't mind adjusting drawbar settings through a menu, but even used, I don't think it would be that cheap.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

HI Scott, I'm sorry if things get confusing with 2 simultaneous posts, I'll erase the other one. That's correct, I don't care about any orchestral sounds at all. Just a a good grand piano, upright, rhodes, synths (classic 80's like "Fields of Gold" "Echoes" "Blade Runner's soundtrack" and organ. 1400 is about the price I can sell it here. I know this Nord is the best option for my needs it is just I can use the money to complete my recoding and live rig for my guitar. It seems the Numa is the only thing that comes close. I'll have to think about it then.

HI Scott, I'm sorry if things get confusing with 2 simultaneous posts, I'll erase the other one.

There's no problem posting in two forums... there are a lot of people who frequent just one or the other so you may get some different feedback. I happen to go to both, though I spend a lot more time here.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Okay, with those needs, you're going to be looking at the used Roland V-Combos mentioned here, or a Kurzweil SP6-7.

The point on selling the Nord is to buy something at around 600-700 used or new like the Nume otherwise I'll just keep the Nord. I don't want to loose too much quality when downgrading.
Ironically enough I went down the same road as you about a year ago looking for a board under $700 with your same criteria (73 plus keys, decent AP's, EPs, B3 clone and synth engines). After a lot of research, including looking at most of the alternatives mentioned in this thread, I landed on the Numa Compact 2x. I picked mine up B-stock for ~$600 (including tax and shipping).

I also have Nord 5D 73 and, even though the Numa Compact 2x's sounds aren't quite as high quality, they're probably as good as your older Nord Stage Classic Compact, The bottom line is that I'm happy with the Compact 2x, especially at the price I paid.

I would add that Compact 2x has some additional features and capabilities which I wish my much more expensive Nord 5D 73 had (e.g. better synth engine with pitch bend and mod, USB midi / audio, onboard speakers). I also like the Compact 2x's action better than the Nord 5d's; it's less springy and better for piano playing.

On the downside, the largely plastic build quality of the Compact 2x is not in the same league as the Nord's. But if you're not on the road and carefully handling your own load in /out this shouldn't matter as much. The Compact 2x's internal leslie sim is not nearly as good as the Nord 5D's but it's OK for gigging with a loud band if the C/V is on. Also, when I'm playing organ on the Compact 2x, I sometimes miss the shallow trigger that's present on the Nord 5d.

Having said the above, given your critieria and budget constraints, IMHO I don't think you will go wrong if you pick up a Numa Compact 2x for around $600.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I also have Nord 5D 73 and, even though the Numa Compact 2x's sounds aren't quite as high quality, they're probably as good as your older Nord Stage Classic Compact

The Numa has a whole other class of sounds that the old Nord didn't (the sampled strings, brass, winds, guitars, etc.). But as an organ, the old Nord probaby beats the NC2X based at least on the rotary/overdrive, and the Nord is a stronger synth, e.g. the Numa has far fewer synth controls or editable parameters, I think only a single oscillator, and no mono mode or portamento. NC2X is a great value... in many ways, nothing at its price can touch it... but that Nord is still a great board even if it is 15 years old.

Like many have suggested here, the Roland VR series would be a very good replacement instrument. Soundwise, the VR-09/VR-730 models are stronger than the NC2X. The pianos and especially organs in the Stage Compact are still viable sounds; the piano may be a little limited by now though. I feel that the VR pianos sound and play more like current digital emulations; meanwhile the VA synth offers more sound possibilities than the Stage or NC2X. Overall the VRs would provide the clarity of sound you find lacking in the Stage Compact.

THe only problem I see is one of budget: You could purchase a used VR-09 for just under $700 on reverb.com, but the key action is mediocre; plus moving to 61 keys from 73 would be somewhat limiting. The VR-730 would be the optimal choice - with its 73-key waterfall action (similar to the Stage Compact action), but the price tag exceeds your stated budget. You can find a used VR-730 on reverb.com for around $1100.

If live organ drawbars aren't needed a used Roland FA-07 could work (with internally programmable drawbars), though reverb.com's list of completed sales shows a range from $800 - $1200. A used Roland Juno DS-76 gets closer, though the organ programmability is limited; and it still exceeds your budget. A used Roland Juno Stage (76 keys) fits your budget exactly; you might want to look for a demo on YouTube.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

On the downside, the largely plastic build quality of the Compact 2x is not in the same league as the Nord's. But if you're not on the road and carefully handling your own load in /out this shouldn't matter as much. The Compact 2x's internal leslie sim is not nearly as good as the Nord 5D's but it's OK for gigging with a loud band if the C/V is on. Also, when I'm playing organ on the Compact 2x, I sometimes miss the shallow trigger that's present on the Nord 5d. Having said the above, given your critieria and budget constraints, IMHO I don't think you will go wrong if you pick up a Numa Compact 2x for around $600.

HI, thanks for the repply! I am willing to compromise built quality and some sound quality in the organ area and some capabilities on the synths. I'm not willing to compromise on action and feel, that's why I discard the phantom like ketboards, plusI wan't to keep it simple. Now that you say the action is more less the same or better I am more inclined to get the Numa. Nothing can beat Nord's interface and built quality but I am in a position where I know I am making compromises. I am only willing to sell the Nord because I need money. If you say soundwise I am not compromising a whole lot going from the Nord Classic to the Numa then it is almost settled for me, I don´t think I could tell them apart in the mix or live. My organ needs are mainly for slow blues or even little intros but nothing more sophiticated where you could appreciate the difference from my Nord, I'm guessing.

Are the keys of the Numa smaller? Do they feel strange coming from the Nord?

NC2X is a great value... in many ways, nothing at its price can touch it... but that Nord is still a great board even if it is 15 years old.

I also think that selling my Nord Classic and for half the price buying a Numa 2X seems good enough for me. The most important thing to me is getting good sounds and not compromising action. thanks again

THe only problem I see is one of budget: .

HI, thanks for the reply! The whole idea of selling the Nord is to buy something around half the price and be able to use the other half in the rest of my studio. The keyboard action is something I am not willing to compromise. Now that I know the Numa is more less the same soundwise I think I am settled.

The keys of the Numa are a little longer than the keys on the Nord (at least a quarter inch), but they also get stiffer to play toward the rear whereas the Nord keys are more consistent from front to back.

The keys of the Numa are a little longer than the keys on the Nord (at least a quarter inch), but they also get stiffer to play toward the rear whereas the Nord keys are more consistent from front to back.

Do you think of this as a drawback or an advantage? I'm used to the Nord keybed, it's good for synths,organs and piano, not too heavy.

Do you think of this as a drawback or an advantage?

Both. It's a trade-off.

If you say soundwise I am not compromising a whole lot going from the Nord Classic to the Numa then it is almost settled for me, I don´t think I could tell them apart in the mix or live. My organ needs are mainly for slow blues or even little intros but nothing more sophiticated where you could appreciate the difference from my Nord, I'm guessing.
I play a lot of blues as well and don't use much organ overdrive which is worse on the Compact 2x than on Nord 5d. I also don't use the Leslie sim much, using it mainly a little at the end of organ solos or holding background organ pads with my left hand while doing piano raindrops or comping piano with my right hand. As mentioned previously, the Compact 2x's poor Leslie sim can be mitigated when its C/V is on, which is not a big problem problem for me since I usually play with C/V on anyway. If I played more hard or progressive rock, I'd be a lot more concerned about the Compact 2x's poor overdrive and Leslie sim.

One other little niggle for the Compact 2x's stereo AP's is that it does not sum to mono, which initially concerned me because I usually play band gigs in mono. I just use the Compact 2x's right output or I sum to mono with a keyboard mixer (or mono summing DI) and the Compact 2x's AP's sound fine in a band context.

I agree about the Compact 2x's keys becoming a little stiffer towards the back, perhaps because of how skinny the Compact 2x is and its consequent reduced pivot length (?). But I'm not sure if and how pivot length factors into SW keyboards, unlike fully-weighted hammer action keyboards where it's a critical component. In this context, it would possibly be useful if someone could do systematic measurements of key length, key weight, pivot length, etc. on SW boards similar to what's been done on fully-weighted hammer action boards.

Despite the above variation in key stiffness issue, I can play piano or organ licks good enough on the Compact 2x to get through the mainly blues and blues rock-band gigs I play without difficulty. Of course, with Covid, my gigs pretty much ended last spring after I had just played 2 or 3 with the Compact 2x.

Overall I find that AP and EP licks are a little easier or me to play on the Compact 2x while organ licks are little easier for me to play on the Nord 5D 73 (which may have similar action to the Nord Classic Compact).

Having said this, because action and feel is highly subjective, what works for me may not work for someone else.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

THe only problem I see is one of budget: .

HI, thanks for the reply! The whole idea of selling the Nord is to buy something around half the price and be able to use the other half in the rest of my studio. The keyboard action is something I am not willing to compromise. Now that I know the Numa is more less the same soundwise I think I am settled.

About a year ago I had a chance to cover close to an hour set on a Numa Compact 2X; got called up to play with the band at a friend's B-day party, and the keyboard player 'disappeared' for awhile... Gave me a chance to explore the NC2X; though the monitoring was somewhat poor, I did manage to get a fairly good idea what the instrument could do. Recalling that experience, I agree that this is going to be your best choice to cover the territory of the original Nord Stage. It's a lot of keyboard for $600 - $700.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I play a lot of blues as well and don't use much organ overdrive which is worse on the Compact 2x than on Nord 5d. I also don't use the Leslie sim much, using it mainly a little at the end of organ solos or holding background organ pads with my left hand while doing piano raindrops or comping piano with my right hand. If I played more hard or progressive rock, I'd be a lot more concerned about the Compact 2x's poor overdrive and Leslie sim.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I have decidede to go for the Numa and sell my Nord. Thnaks for your answer, it really helped me.