Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The affordable SMALL studio thread

Unless you want something you can carry in a pocket, it sounds like you're on the right track with you Zoom R8, but it's just a little limited for where you're trying to go. I'm not surprising that you aren't getting much separation using the built in mics. Having a handy recorder like the H6 will allow you more flexibility in placement, but still, built-in stereo mics won't give you great separation, particularly with amplified instruments. The advantage of a "handy" recorder is that you can put on a set of headphones and move the recorder around while the band is playing and put it in the best position that you can find. A tabletop unit like the R8 is far less moveable.

Have you given any thought to using a pair of outboard mics with your R8? That might be a good investment both as an experiment and an investment in your next "upgrade."

If you like your R8, you might consider moving up to an L-8 and a few microphones. It allows you to record up to 10 tracks simultaneously so between mics, line inputs, and direct (DI) inputs you should be covered. You can work "live" on the recorder/mixer, doing overdubs as you're working, transfer tracks to the computer, or use it as an interface for recording straight to the computer. These things are pretty well thought out. The only thing I can think of that you might want is a footswitch to start recording if you're working alone. Maybe other models have one.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The band is currently a 3 piece rock band, but may expand to 4 as there's been talk of recruiting a bass player. Drummer with full kit, singer/guitarist whose preferred amp is a Roland JC-120 with distortion pedals and other pedals in front, and myself on electric violin through Boss Katana 100 with effects. I have been using my Zoom R8's internal mics to record band rehearsals. I learned why the R8 is not a first choice for this application - stereo separation in the recording is practically nonexistent, which defeated the idea of capturing drums on one side and the guitar amp on the other, as they are physically on opposite sides of the rehearsal space.

For my home recording, I can record my Moog Matriarch and Roland MC-101 in stereo (4 tracks total) plus the Behringer Pro-1 (1 track) or the Empress Zoia (2 tracks) when I want to capture electronic music ideas. I've gotten by with a 2-input audio interface plus analog mixer in front, but now I'd like to record these devices to separate tracks simultaneously, for later remixing, editing, etc.

XY isn't and won't be wide stereo, AB is. Something is lost both ways, you lose the sides with XY and you "lose" the center with AB. Both have their purpose.

Your second paragraph suggests you do have a use for 6 or more input channels for a computer interface. I run an 8 channel Presonus Quantum TB2 at home, more so I can dedicate channels than for simultaneous playing but it's nice not to have to hook everything up every time so I get it. It sounds like the H6 will cover that but you may want the AB module too.

While I can hook 2 more mics up to my Tascam and record another stereo track, so far I've never really done it. I've always gotten something good with careful placement and choice of mic pattern. For singer songwriters I turn the Tascam on it's side and in AB I have a vocal mic and an instrument mic with pretty good separation.

As to bundles, my biggest knock on the bundle you are considering is that the world is full of cheap, crappy tripods. I see tons of them at thrift stores, stripped, bent, missing proprietary parts and not worth a dime.

A GOOD tripod is an item you buy ONCE and done forever with no regrets. I looked at your link more closely, they are including what appears to be a small, tabletop tripod. It looks like it's mostly plastic.

I have an older small all metal one, was 3 bucks or so at Goodwill. I also have a Gorilla Pod, got that used and it's much more versatile than a tabletop model if you aren't looking for a full sized tripod. You can often fine a place to put it that is well out of the way of customers and all the noise they make at clubs.

I replaced my Bogen tripod, which was as good as anybody would need, when a Gitzo Reporter came up on Craigslist for $30. It's well used and ready for another hundred years of use - solid as a rock.

Buy nice or buy twice.

Shop around locally, pawn shops, thrift stores and the photo section of craigslist - buy a GOOD tripod, even if it's a small one. It's frustrating to have your tripod wilt when you are out in the field - been there, done that. Years from now, you'll thank me. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks guys!

I've decided not to go for any of the H6 bundle deals.

The tabletop footprint of the R8 is another reason I want to eventually replace it with a Handy Recorder or equivalent from Tascam, Sony, etc. I've been setting on top of an amp (not turned on), or other random equipment - sometimes at a precarious position. An R6 or similar with its own tripod would allow more flexible placement in the room.

Also, I have to plug the AC adaptor into the R8, as its recording time is only 2 hours when running off battery. This further limits placement of the R8 in the room, as the AC adaptor cable is not that long.

Thanks guys!

I've decided not to go for any of the H6 bundle deals.

The tabletop footprint of the R8 is another reason I want to eventually replace it with a Handy Recorder or equivalent from Tascam, Sony, etc. I've been setting on top of an amp (not turned on), or other random equipment - sometimes at a precarious position. An R6 or similar with its own tripod would allow more flexible placement in the room.

Also, I have to plug the AC adaptor into the R8, as its recording time is only 2 hours when running off battery. This further limits placement of the R8 in the room, as the AC adaptor cable is not that long.

I'm using rechargeable AA batteries (3) for my Tascam. I recorded 2 complete 3 set shows with one charge. That includes the breaks, I just left it running.

The freedom of batteries is a BIG bonus. Not sure about the Zoom but the newer version of the Tascam can run on one of those rechargeable phone charger batteries. Those last a LONG time, probably looking at 8-12 hours. Pretty compact, I'm sure there is a way to mount one without any problems, maybe velcro?

Keep up the search, I consider my portable recorder to be an essential tool. It's nothing to toss it in the gig bag. I do have a tiny tripod that can just get tossed in as well. I've recorded shows from a safe spot on the floor, even if it got knocked over it isn't far to fall. So far no problems, but I am picky about where I put it, both for safety and for sound.

Well, OK. Let us know how it works out for you.

Got an extension cord? Home Depot has very good deals. ;)

Heh, I have several extension cords at home.

Definitely want a recorder I can put in a my pocket. Tried the iPhone route - not happy with that for reasons I'm sure you guys understand.

MONO!!! :laugh:

I have a company iPhone sitting on my desk. I turned it off around 1pm today.

If I turn it back on to mess with recording I'll have emails on there that I will feel guilty ignoring. :)

So, I'll guess:

It's 16 bit only (like Garage Band).

There isn't much storage space and micro SD cards are fidgety little pieces of crap.

The recording volume sets automatically after the really loud sound overdrives it.

So, I'll guess:

There isn't much storage space and micro SD cards are fidgety little pieces of crap.

The recording volume sets automatically after the really loud sound overdrives it.

That's how it is as it comes out of the box, but it can become a lot better. There's a wide range of stereo mics that plug in to the various (be sure to get the right one) digital port on the phone and can provide the "handheld recorder experience" or better. These mics have the A/D converter built in, they're all 24-bit, some will do 96 kHz, and with all of the analog signal path built into the mic, you don't have the low frequency rolloff, limiter, and automatic volume control that comes with the built-in mic.

Micro SD cards are fiddly, but they're available in large enough capacity so that you have plenty of recording time while sharing the memory with phone things, and even a fairly large music library. You'll probably want to get your recordings off the phone and on to something more convenient for working with them ASAP, so you can consider the phone to have essentially fixed recording media.

Is this a great solution for The Gov? I don't know, but I don't think so. It doesn't give him many of the features that a handheld offer, and it's an extra piece that needs to be plugged in before using it.

But - yeah, it's possible to get good quality audio from an iPhone if your needs are right. Since the video camera is really good, an add-on plug-in mic is a convenient way to make a good video if you're good a making videos and pay attention to the audio.

[MONO!] Nope.

:laugh:

Come on now, I may be a noob at recording, but even I know better than to expect stereo recording from an iPhone mic. Plus I did read Mike's post that said just getting a handy recorder is not going to guarantee good stereo separation.

I was trying to encourage you to take a step beyond a handheld recorder to do everything, and use outboard mics with the mixer/recorder/interface that you already have until you really outgrow the need for more recording channels, and then upgrade the recorder. You can add more mics at any time, even when you're still using the R8 by using its mixer capability.

If the footprint of the R8 is really an insurmountable problem, you probably don't really have a very good room for recording your band anyway. Put it on a card table in a corner and run your mic cables out to where the band sets up.

I'm a system kind of a guy. I like to have flexibility of adding or changing individual components rather than putting everything in one case and having to replace the whole thing when you outgrow it. You could start out with a $100-150 pair of condenser mics and have that part of the system with the quality of the built-in mics, plus the flexibility of positioning them in many different ways, not just X-Y or A-B stereo, and put the two mics at different distances to balance the instruments.

But that means that you actually need to start learning how to record [pardon me if you already know] but that will last you a long time.

If I turn it back on to mess with recording I'll have emails on there that I will feel guilty ignoring. :)

So, I'll guess:

This a better guess. :cool:

For me, the number one turnoff of using an iPhone to record band rehearsal is.... battery life. Rehearsal usually goes at least 6 hours. Sometimes 8. My buddy has a Sony handy recorder that can do 12 hours, no problem.

Yes, I could bring in a USB cable and charging AC Adapter, but part of our practice is setting up our gear for playing as quickly and efficiently as possible. If I have to plug in my iPhone to keep it charged, that cuts into my setup time. A bigger problem is the odds of forgetting the cable and charger.

The first time I tried to record rehearsal with the iPhone there was horrible clipping distortion. That was before the Audioshare app and other useful apps were released that offer an actual input gain control. So I know in 2021 I can use Audioshare to record the rehearsal, but that doesn't solve the problem of battery life, having to bring in more things that will probably be forgotten or lost in a rehearsal space packed with the gear of multiple bands, not just ours.

Another problem is storage. You noted this already so I won't repeat the explanation. :)

I was trying to encourage you to take a step beyond a handheld recorder to do everything, and use outboard mics with the mixer/recorder/interface that you already have until you really outgrow the need for more recording channels, and then upgrade the recorder. You can add more mics at any time, even when you're still using the R8 by using its mixer capability.

If the footprint of the R8 is really an insurmountable problem, you probably don't really have a very good room for recording your band anyway. Put it on a card table in a corner and run your mic cables out to where the band sets up.

I'm a system kind of a guy. I like to have flexibility of adding or changing individual components rather than putting everything in one case and having to replace the whole thing when you outgrow it. You could start out with a $100-150 pair of condenser mics and have that part of the system with the quality of the built-in mics, plus the flexibility of positioning them in many different ways, not just X-Y or A-B stereo, and put the two mics at different distances to balance the instruments.

But that means that you actually need to start learning how to record [pardon me if you already know] but that will last you a long time.

Yeah, our rehearsal space is not a proper recording studio. It's just a rehearsal space. I think it's a converted auto shop garage or storage room. This is rock and roll, man, not Real World Studios.

I appreciate that. But I just want to start with the handy recorder by itself, and start adding mics later, depending on needs.

I get your POV that I should get the mics first instead of a new handy recorder, but the R8 is so bulky compared to a handy recorder. It takes up space in whatever I use to transport it, which gets in the way of other gear I might want to bring, or even just extra water bottles or something when we rehearse on a hot day. I'm also sick of having to lug the R8 to shows or other places where I want to record something outdoors. Even though it's light to carry, again it takes so much freaking space....

I get your POV that I should get the mics first instead of a new handy recorder, but the R8 is so bulky compared to a handy recorder. It takes up space in whatever I use to transport it, which gets in the way of other gear I might want to bring.

I'm also sick of having to lug the R8 to shows or other places where I want to record something outdoors. Even though it's light to carry, again it takes so much freaking space....

Gosh! And that's the smallest one they make in that series. I was so happy when the Nagra with its eight D cells for power came along that I didn't have to lug my Ampex in its two 50 pound cases.

Kids these days!!! :laugh:

I get your POV that I should get the mics first instead of a new handy recorder, but the R8 is so bulky compared to a handy recorder. It takes up space in whatever I use to transport it, which gets in the way of other gear I might want to bring.

I'm also sick of having to lug the R8 to shows or other places where I want to record something outdoors. Even though it's light to carry, again it takes so much freaking space....

Gosh! And that's the smallest one they make in that series. I was so happy when the Nagra with its eight D cells for power came along that I didn't have to lug my Ampex in its two 50 pound cases.

Kuru must be a kid too. I mean, a real grown man should be tossing a Nagra into his gig back, not a little Tascam right?

Or does he have a special "no elbow ribs from Mike" permit/free pass?

Kuru must be a kid too. I mean, a real grown man should be tossing a Nagra into his gig back, not a little Tascam right?

Or does he have a special "no elbow ribs from Mike" permit/free pass?

Well, I figure everybody should be able to do things like recording the way they want to do them.

Some things will always be an experiment. Some experiments become protocol.

Sometimes life tells us what to do. I was long since done moving my Mesa half stack around before I sold it. After I sold it, the problem was solved.

But I still had heavy amps. Smaller but heavy. Sold those too.

Now my heaviest and largest gigging amp is a Boss Katana 50 Combo MKII but if they issue a Katana 25 with a 10" and it weighs less I'll probably downsize.

I'd consider a 15 with one 8" if it's a good speaker.

Or computers will get so good I'll just Bluetooth my amp sims to the PA and carry a guitar bag with a pouch, done. I would not mind that at all.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't use an Ampex 2 track in perfect working order to master on, if I had one (I don't). Stuff is just stuff, if I use it and like it I keep it.

Otherwise, somebody will want it...

These days, my rig and recording methods are such that a portable stereo recorder isn't worth very much to me... in fact, if anyone wants a used Zoom H4n that MIGHT have an issue with one mic input (I haven't done thorough tests), I'll sell it to you for $50 plus shipping.

When I do field recordings, I use my iPhone with a Shure MV88 or binaural mic headset, and the resulting recordings are excellent, but I am pretty damn sure that's not what El Governor De La Plata needs, as my battery life and stereo separation requirements are much milder.

I would never take a Nagra-D into the field under any circumstances. I would be so worried about hurting it that I would be unable to focus on getting a good recording.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I would never take a Nagra-D into the field under any circumstances. I would be so worried about hurting it that I would be unable to focus on getting a good recording.

I don't have a big enough hammer to damage a Nagra ;) though given that the Nagra D is a tape-based digital recorder, it's more vulnerable than the analog Nagras. The analog ones were designed so you could hang one over your shoulder and run around with it. I don't think a D would like that very much. When I say "Nagra" I mean the III, IV, IV-S, and E models. They're built like tanks and last forever. I was more concerned about damaging myself from hauling around the Ampex and the Revox A700 that followed it. I could never afford, nor justify owning a Nagra myself, but there were plenty of them around here at the time that I could borrow when I wanted one.

If I have a "pro" and "sit down" stereo recording gig, I take my Korg MR-1000. It's bigger than handheld and sits nicely on a table. It doesn't have built-in mics, but it has fine preamps and converters, runs about 5 hours on batteries, and if anyone really wants it, it does DSD. (Craig likes DSD) Kind of like 2006's Nagra for people who couldn't offord a Nagra, but I could afford the Korg. The only thing that I worry about is that the operating system and recordings are stored on an internal 20 GB hard drive. It's one of those midget ones like they used in iPods, I think, no longer replaceable, nor is there any more support from Korg and they can't even supply the system files if the disk drive needed replacement. That's when it's obsolete, but as long as it still works, it's still in use.

My TASCAM handhelds with outboard mics work just as well as the Korg for what field recording I do, but if I'm getting paid, I'd rather have something with me that wouldn't prompt a "hey, my kid has one of those" when looking at my setup.

Part of my desire for a dedicated handheld recorder is fueled by frustration with not getting good cicada recordings, lol.

See if I'm going to have to get a premium mic for my iPhone to get a better recording, why not just get a dedicated recorder. At least that's my thought process.

See if I'm going to have to get a premium mic for my iPhone to get a better recording, why not just get a dedicated recorder. At least that's my thought process.

I look at it differently. A dedicated recorder is a microphone with a recorder attached. Better than a phone for sure, but not as good, or as easily put in the right place (once you find it) of individual mics. Since you already have a dedicated recorder (the R8), you can start building a microphone collection and learning how to use mics to their best advantage. You'll have another 17 years before the cicadas come around again, and in that time you will have accumulated a lot of gear - including, probably, a handheld recorder.

My Android phone recording of cicadas

Part of my desire for a dedicated handheld recorder is fueled by frustration with not getting good cicada recordings, lol.

Just bugs is what. Probably SampleTank or Kontakt has a cicada sample you can play on a keyboard.

Just bugs is what. Probably SampleTank or Kontakt has a cicada sample you can play on a keyboard.

If you're just messing with me now, I'm guessing this your way of saying, it's time to get off the playground and leave it to the big boys again.

Thank you for your time and the smiles. I'm going back to lurking.

The weather here is beautiful and I look forward to spending some time outdoors today - recording or not. Hope you get to enjoy some outdoor time as well if the weather is also lovely where your'e at.

I look at it differently. A dedicated recorder is a microphone with a recorder attached. Better than a phone for sure, but not as good, or as easily put in the right place (once you find it) of individual mics. Since you already have a dedicated recorder (the R8), you can start building a microphone collection and learning how to use mics to their best advantage. You'll have another 17 years before the cicadas come around again, and in that time you will have accumulated a lot of gear - including, probably, a handheld recorder.

My Android phone recording of cicadas

I'll take you up on your offer and treat you to a meal and drinks though, if the unlikely happens and I get in a situation where I actually need gear that meets your standards :cool:

I'm going to go back to lurking. I did get a multiple input audio interface for home recording. I'm not going to say what it is because I don't want to be told right now I should have got a UAD Apollo or something. :laugh: You guys are already making me feel bad for not owning at least one $400 mic.

If you're just messing with me now, I'm guessing this your way of saying, it's time to get off the playground and leave it to the big boys again.

Thank you for your time and the smiles. I'm going back to lurking.

The weather here is beautiful and I look forward to spending some time outdoors today - recording or not. Hope you get to enjoy some outdoor time as well if the weather is also lovely where your'e at.

Don't take it wrong, I am prone to blurting stuff out just because.

Your topic is an interesting one and you've gotten a variety of responses, including mine.

I started getting into a more complex studio with the mistaken idea that it would be easy to lug it around, set it up in great sounding rooms and make excellent recordings.

Now that I have most of that gear, I never want to move it again!!!!

So I am big on the idea that the music is where you play it and honestly, I bought my Tascam from a friend who thought he was going to make videos with sound of female models that he was going to hire. 2 strokes later, he couldn't do much of anything without dropping stuff and he sold me the Tascam. I LOVE that I CAN take it anywhere, set it up quickly and get a respectable sounding recording with it.

I recently recorded our band at a decent sounding club with a good PA system. Our lead singer happens to also be an excellent soundman so he dialed the band, I set up the Tascam and recorded 2 nights - 6 sets.

Once we chose the ones we like we can use it to book gigs. It sounds "real" which is what most club owners want - people talking and applauding, glasses clinking. They don't want a studio recording, they want to know how your band actually sounds.

So, lurk if you must but please check back in when you get your new toys and have a chance to record some things I want to hear your experiences, I'm still learning too - we ALL are. If it was easy to know everything about recording it would be boring as hell!!! Cheers, Kuru

Gov, (in case you are lurking) - you got me thinking and for the last couple of nights I've been setting up my Tascam and recording myself playing acoustic guitar versions of my original songs.

I'm finding it very easy to "desk drum" along with them, which is encouraging since I recently felt like I've hit a wall with drum plugins. It is possible to do a deep dive and program every nuance of an entire song so it sounds like a real drummer playing. And it is possible to adjust tempo in sections to allow for "feel" but what about a subtle acceleration of tempo over time? That would take a ridiculous amount of work and yet most of us can just play it in an instrument.

I want to let my music "breathe" and it seems like taking a good version of my solo song rendition and playing all the parts to that should yield more satisfying results for the sounds I am wanting. It's about feel.

I listen to a tempo masterpiece like Midnight Rambler off the Stones Get Your Ya Ya's Out album and I want my music the breathe like that instead of flatlining to a steady tempo.

So, Tascam is fast, easy and stress free. Tune my guitar, set the recorder up, turn it on and go. I can drop that track into my DAW later when I get a solid take and start adding the things I want. I don't need to keep that track, I can record others to replace it. I may not want acoustic guitar on every song and I don't want guitar and vocals cross bleeding in any case.

It may sound like a tedious process but I've spent too much time already chasing the feel, the groove, the renditions that I want and so far no love.

If I had a budget, I could hire some fantastic local musicians to play along, I know some good rooms and even a place where I could get do quality multi-track recording of up to 6 pieces for $600 a day, which includes getting a copy of the tracks to do what I want with.

Gotta win the lottery to do that, this can do now.

So we've taken a detour here but portable recording devices most definitely fit under the category of SMALL, Affordable Recording Studios so thanks for the side tour!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, an ART Head Amp 5 arrived. Used, eBay purchase. I've got 2 headphone outs on the Presonus Quantum, each with it's own headphone amp and volume control.

That works fine but I wanted to put a volume control for the headphones over on the other side of the desk so whoever is tracking can adjust the headphones to their liking.

This seemed like it would do the job and at $32.60 delivered it's the right price for the Affordable theme in this thread.

I tested it last night, it sounded great and all channels are working fine - BUT, there was a high mid frequency sound that was constant in all channels. A deal breaker in my book. Third party wall wart was included.

I had the wall wart plugged into a Furman P-8 Pro D, a good quality power conditioner/noise suppressor that has been working great - even if you are on a tight budget you really need to find a way to get a quality power source in your system, you can't go cheap here without risking some noise on your tracks.

I only learned one real life lesson in Algebra - eliminate variables.

I started by unplugging the TRS cord coming from the second headphone channel on the Quantum to the Head Amp.

That eliminated my entire audio system but not the hum. I was done for the evening so I slept on it.

This morning, I dug around in my "extra stuff" stash and found a Shure 12v DC power supply that was left over from a wireless system that died and went to heaven.

I tried that power supply, with the Head Amp still unplugged from the system. No hum at all and barely any hiss even when cranked. Good so far.

Hooked up the audio cable from the Quantum headphone out, fired up Music (the new iTunes) and put on Leonard Cohen - There Ain't No Cure For Love.

I tried all three sets of headphones on all 5 channels of the Head Amp. It actually sounds really good, the noise floor is not worth mentioning and the only issue I found is it appears the plug on my vintage Austrian made AKG K240 headphones could use replacement/soldering. Easy, I'll get around to it, those are nice sounding cans.

Variables eliminated, problem solved, this is a welcome minor addition to the small, affordable studio.

Yesterday, an ART Head Amp 5 arrived. Used, eBay purchase.

I tested it last night, it sounded great and all channels are working fine - BUT, there was a high mid frequency sound that was constant in all channels. A deal breaker in my book. Third party wall wart was included.

Like a whistle?

This morning, I dug around in my "extra stuff" stash and found a Shure 12v DC power supply that was left over from a wireless system that died and went to heaven.

I tried that power supply, with the Head Amp still unplugged from the system. No hum at all and barely any hiss even when cranked. Good so far.

Variables eliminated, problem solved, this is a welcome minor addition to the small, affordable studio.

Good troubleshooting, and a good lesson that all wall warts of the same voltage aren't alike.

Now that I have the Mackie d8b set up, I'm looking for a headphone amplifier like that. In my previous setup, I had one power amplifier that I used for one or two mono headphone mixes, which was "good enough for who it's for" (as a friend used to say about a lot of things). The headphone mix(es) came from aux outputs on the console. The Mackie, however, has the brilliant "Copy Mix to Cue" button for two stereo outputs that are intended as stereo headphone feeds. I'd like to be able to take advantage of those, give the talent stereo mixes (starting point being the control room mix) if they want. So I need more channels to drive headphones.

Yesterday, an ART Head Amp 5 arrived. Used, eBay purchase.

Like a whistle?

Good troubleshooting, and a good lesson that all wall warts of the same voltage aren't alike.

Now that I have the Mackie d8b set up, I'm looking for a headphone amplifier like that. In my previous setup, I had one power amplifier that I used for one or two mono headphone mixes, which was "good enough for who it's for" (as a friend used to say about a lot of things). The headphone mix(es) came from aux outputs on the console. The Mackie, however, has the brilliant "Copy Mix to Cue" button for two stereo outputs that are intended as stereo headphone feeds. I'd like to be able to take advantage of those, give the talent stereo mixes (starting point being the control room mix) if they want. So I need more channels to drive headphones.

I am happy with this unit. I know there is better stuff out there but the price to performance ratio at the price I paid is very good.

Here is a link to the manual. Note the left and right inputs (one can also be Mono and the other Stereo), the RCA inputs, and the 3 TRS insert points for Channels 3, 4 and 5 so you could add external effects like reverb to the headphone mix without relying on plugins. Those are useful features even if I haven't (and might not) ever use them.

https://artproaudio.com/framework/uploads/2018/06/om_headamp_v.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
ART's stuff varies wildly in quality. Some of it can be surprisingly good, though. When I was doing a lot of studio work, I got a lot of mileage out of my Pro VLA. Need to find a new home for it, now.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

• 3 weeks later...

Over the weekend I realized that having the power connections on one side of the room and the audio connections (as much as possible) on the other side was a good idea.

It is already something I prefer, having the controls and inputs of audio devices to be simple, obvious and on the front panel Some the tools I really enjoy using do not follow this form factor so compromise is inevitable.

I did what I could, I worked all weekend and part of last week on reconfiguring the rack and then today I flipped my studio desk and side stand for the rack 180 degrees. I've already spent some time getting all the inputs on the front of the rack and that is done with photos coming soon.

Since you won't do well trying to find this, if you have a Blue Robbie mic pre and you want to rack mount it (1/2 rack width and 3 spaces high), you will need to remove the pedestal, This is simple, get a countersink bit and use it on the 4 screw holes covered by felt on the bottom. You can find them by pressing down with your finger, they are 90 degrees apart once you find the first one and will require an allen wrench - I don't have the span on the wrench.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy about my layout and since it's happened slowly over time I'll show you where I am at after keeping an eye out for upgrade paths that are too compelling to ignore and buying "six months same as cash" on PayPal.

You just have to be realistic and realize there will always be another.

Ill be back, I feel like I am finally putting a usable studio together here. for me, it's been a process, for many, I suspect a similar outcome but many variations.