Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vicount Legends '70 - Nord Grand killer ?

I have Viscount’s gig bag for the Legend. It’s not really a case, just a fitted nylon bag, but it is double-thickness and lightly padded. Very well-made, but not going to protect from hard knocks. That said, with careful handling mine’s worked fine. The Compact is lighter than it looks, but yes, a bit big and bulky — the trade-off for having a big flat top.  If you plan to gig it, I highly recommend getting the legs — they are engineered brilliantly, and come with their own bag.

The EP and Sound Collection modules are standard, although Kraft bundles in the AP and Clav modules now. I don’t believe it is sold with only EP and AP.

• Like 1

Legend '70s Compact, Studiologic Numa X 73

• 5 months later...

New OS 1.10 update, plus major Sound Collection 2.0 update!

V1.10 README

Firmware updates and other downloads are available here: Viscount - Legend70s Support (scroll all the way to the bottom of the page)

You need these files:

Legend '70s Update V1.10

Legend '70s / Sound Collection V2.00

Legend '70s / A.Piano V2.02

There's also a new Editor v1.10, and updated Manuals for the OS and Editor.

And a new patch set from MeX for the Sound Collection.

We didn't get the full, modeled Soul organ engine, but we *did* get the new Soul leslie and some new Soul-ish organ patches where you *can* tweak the percussion and drawbar mix.

I still enjoy it as a home piano ( I have the 73 Compact) but found it to clumsy to gig with, and the user interface are not ideal without some planning for where to put the programs. 
Impressive effect section x 2, but also a bit work to get it where I want it. 
I like the keybed, even if it is a P100, a good compromise for el and acoustic piano. 

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2024 at 8:28 PM, bjosko said:

I still enjoy it as a home piano ( I have the 73 Compact) but found it to clumsy to gig with

I have been considering one of these for a while and wondered if you could elaborate on why you find it clumsy to gig with?

Is it the weight, size/shape, or something operationally?

Also, I am trying to figure out whether my NS3C would fit on that flat top and have been unable to find the depth dimension anywhere.

Would someone who owns one of these be able to measure it and post here?

TIA

23 cm / 9 inches. But you can use a stand with a top tier, I have added some photos of my experimenal setups (The Numa on top on a photo as well) just to show the size difference. If using the original stand (as I am using now at home), beware that it can prevent you getting a good sitting height if you also want to control a swell pedal for an upper board.

About gigging, I found the form factor to clumsy, and the interface and program changes ( while advanced) to slow to use in a live situation. I love to tweak my sound on the fly, and here I prefer my Nord Stage.
I also invested in the original bag, thats just some thin nylon with no padding, and I think that was my main reason to grab another board.

IMG_1833.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1255.jpeg

IMG_1254.jpeg

• Like 1
/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

4 hours ago, Papa.J said:

Also, I am trying to figure out whether my NS3C would fit on that flat top and have been unable to find the depth dimension anywhere.

Would someone who owns one of these be able to measure it and post here?

TIA

I wondered that very thing the instant I saw this thing :) 

Ah, I play standing so I'd have to not use the legs.  All in all, it's interesting but not a super great fit for me as I'm heading more into synth sounds these days.

A NS3C would sit very comfortably and stably on top of the Legend70.  I've had my Jupiter-Xm up there a lot, and it's much deeper than 9 inches.

Did you know the Legend70 has a mono-synth module? I don't have one, but there are demos on the legend70s.com website. It sounds pretty nice for what it is; kind of similar to the mono-synth in the newer SKPros.

6 hours ago, Papa.J said:

I have been considering one of these for a while and wondered if you could elaborate on why you find it clumsy to gig with?

Is it the weight, size/shape, or something operationally?

It's not the weight; it's only 35 pounds.  It's the shape that makes it a little awkward, being fairly tall and boxy.  That's the tradeoff you nearly always have to make if you want a board with a flat top; Crumar 7, Nord Grand, even Korg SV-1 and 2 (though not flat). The form factor of having a vertical control panel rather than a horizontal one makes the case taller/thicker, which makes it a little more difficult to maneuver.

I have the padded nylon case, and it's entirely adequate for transport.  Of course you do have to be more careful about knocking into things, but I've gigged successfully with mine without mishap. Just don't throw it into the back of your pickup. 🙂