Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This is today�s music?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in my day in was Doug Clark & The Hot Nuts that were shocking to many, although their purpose was comedy. They were most popular in the Southern Atlantic states. They seem so tame today in comparison.

Kuru: > Right, or Frank Zappa or Root Boy Slim and The Sex Change Band.

Root Boy Slim's "Boogie 'Til You Puke" was the anthem of a certain circle of friends for a while. "World War III" is also great party fare. I occasionally take pleasure in shocking a younger person with decades-old madness like that. It just doesn't appear with the same variety or enjoyable perversity, so ITS NEW TO THEM!! :laugh:

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Back in my day in was Doug Clark & The Hot Nuts that were shocking to many, although their purpose was comedy. They were most popular in the Southern Atlantic states. They seem so tame today in comparison.

Kuru: > Right, or Frank Zappa or Root Boy Slim and The Sex Change Band.

Root Boy Slim's "Boogie 'Til You Puke" was the anthem of a certain circle of friends for a while. "World War III" is also great party fare. I occasionally take pleasure in shocking a younger person with decades-old madness like that. It just doesn't appear with the same variety or enjoyable perversity, so ITS NEW TO THEM!! :laugh:

Long ago and far away, I was in a band with a friend who hailed from Baltimore. He brought Root Boy Slim into our world. We even covered Mood Ring! I LOVE WWIII - "Lookin' for a place to plug in my TV when I finally realize it was World War Three."

Dare To Be Fat? ROTFLMAO!!!

I'm Not Too Old For You and Loneliest Room in the World are classic stuff too. Motel Of Love, In Jail In Jacksonville, My Wig Fell Off, etc. The band was smokin'!!! The guitarist (whose name escapes me) got written up in Guitar Player for also being the music director of the Sex Change Band. He earned it, that was some tight Rock N Roll!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Root Boy Slim and The Sex Change Band.

I can still remember the moment when I was told "Root Boy Slim" had passed, been over 25 years now.

It was about 10:00 AM on a weekday morning, which is like the middle of the night for a musician.

We referred to him only as "Root Boy" in the DC Metro area

:nopity:

Root Boy Slim and The Sex Change Band.

I can still remember the moment when I was told "Root Boy Slim" had passed, been over 25 years now.

It was about 10:00 AM on a weekday morning, which is like the middle of the night for a musician.

We referred to him only as "Root Boy" in the DC Metro area

@Doerfler - I used to work at the Varsity Grill in College Park, back when Root Boy would play there. Too much fun is a mild description, but I plead the 5th regarding specific details.

Eventually the City of College Park passed a resolution that no band with the word "Sex" in the name could perform at any College Park venue. It was a move intended to forestall a rumored Sex Pistols appearance, somewhere, but it also effectively banned Root Boy from College Park.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

As an old Fugs fan, I'm not in a position to point any fingers. If you've never heard "Supergirl", "Slum Goddess", or "Wide, Wide River of Shit,", well, don't say I didn't warn you. OTOH, if you've really NEVER even heard of The Fugs, please, pull up a chair and have a listen. "Nothing" is a personal favorite.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

"Nothing" was the anthem to my last two years of high school.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Guess I was wrong?

About what? If you're talking about your opinion, then you're not wrong. You're allowed to think a popular song is totally whack. I think it's "wrong" to judge others for liking it, to think there's something wrong with them, but we can talk about all those things.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't find these lyrics as crass or offensive someone leading a group of people that has a fantastic, fantastic I'm telling you, following of quality, the best quality people the U.S. has ever seen. Fantastic, I'm telling you. In fact, the quality of this music is so fabulous, the most fabulous, it's perfectly fitting of these times we live in, fabulous times, the best. The American people couldn't expect more fabulous music, fabulous, I'm telling you, just listen to how fabulous it is.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien