Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carry-On 88-Key Folding Piano

I found the VAX disappointing because the edges of the keys were so sharp, it was downright painful for organ. I actually had the opportunity to mention this to Eddie Jobson, and he answered that he had filed down the edges on his.
That is true. The action was fast and tracked velocity well. Compromise feel for piano/organ but edges too sharp for palming.

On the techie side, I appreciate the constant force springs and electro-magnetic sensors in the VAX77 key action. Interesting design decisions, but I have a feeling they also contributed significantly to the final price. I've been hacking away at a DIY keyboard MIDI controller in my basement, so these thing have been on my brain. Making a foldable keyboard is an interesting challenge, but not one that I find very elegant (could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling). The VAX77 is certainly well-built though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things that made the VAX77 expensive was the use of magnesium to save weight- one of the initial design goals was to make it small and light enough to carry-on on a plane. What thwarted that was the rolling bag was just not strong enough to protect it as checked luggage, so they had to give people a flight case as an option. Also, the original sprung-weight keys were actually super light and felt weird to play, even in their original "heaviest" version they were just too light- like unweighted piano keys with synth action. When Jobson came aboard as a consultant, he had them add weights to the keys to improve the feel of the action, which kinda went against the reason for using magnesium. While the weighted, sprung action was not like a piano, it was till doable for piano playing and a generally good compromise to cover synth playing. But you guys already pointed out the issues with playing organ slides. For playing with polyAT, it was the best- I always preferred piano-type keys (such as on a Kurz MIDIBoard of a Yamaha CS-80) to really allow for individual control of pressure. The polyAT was also adaptive- how much pressure needed to activate polyAT was dependent on the initial velocity of the note- so harder/louder notes required more pressure, softer notes required less- it is a very natural feeling and easy to get used to. You could also adjust aftertouch delay as well as frequency of update, and even adjust polyAT response for each individual key!

Ideally, I would love to see a non-folding VAX77 made with more conventional materials (aluminum?) and a choice of a more traditional piano or synth-weight action.

As far as Jobson touring four VAX77s, Hans Tobeason his keyboard tech told me they never had any trouble with any VAX failing. Admittedly I did not ask if they ever switched out the spares.

Not every small car is the same. A VAX77 unfolded might be tough to get into a Mini Cooper or Fiat 500, especially depending on what (and who) else needs to be in the car with you. Other countries have cars that are even smaller. Also, the VAX77 is bigger overall than an NP31, and its weight would make it harder to easily maneiver it compared to the ease of maneuvering an NP31.

Public transport (which also often involves stairs/escalators and walking, with additional gear besides the keyboard) is complicated by both things... weight as well as overall size that can make a given weight more unwieldy.

Someone may want to set up the board for his music work, but tuck it away somehere when not in use. Depending on the particulars of the space, it may be easier to find a spot to store a short squat piece than something twice the length, in terms of, for example, what might fit on the top shelf or floor of a closet, as an example.

:thu: You're right that it would be touch to get a 7x into something like a Japanese Kei-class. Turns out Infinite Response partnered with a car manufacturer to create a vehicle that's a perfect match for the VAX77:

420px-1965_Peel_P50%2C_The_World%27s_Smallest_Car_%28Lane_Motor_Museum%29.jpg

The power cable has to go on the roof, however...

Cheers, Mike.

:) very euro looking car. reminds me of single lane cobble stone roads, bike lanes, and driving on the wrong side of the road. it needs a nation sticker and an 'I love Asfalt!' air freshener. great memories!

Just as a side note. My 76k soft case fit fine across the back seat of my SUV. It also fit fine going in the rear door with half the seats folded down. When I went to a compact hatchback it was no longer possible to fit the case across the back seat. The rear door is the only way and I have to adjust the driver"s or front passenger"s seat a bit. If I bring 88 and 76 - The Mrs. drives the family car now, so I borrow that.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Remember: not all Euro types are the same - only some of us drive on the wrong side of the road.

When I go shopping for cars, I turn up with two keyboards, a stand and a couple of wedges. If they don't fit, I'm not buying. I've never had an awkward dealer moment - they understand.

Cheers, Mike.

Remember: not all Euro types are the same - only some of us drive on the wrong side of the road.

When I go shopping for cars, I turn up with two keyboards, a stand and a couple of wedges. If they don't fit, I'm not buying. I've never had an awkward dealer moment - they understand.

Cheers, Mike.

:cheers: of course! all in good fun. when i was a kid, my dad somehow would round up the scratch to get us over to see cousins and old friends. a priceless gift to stay connected with family oversees and to continue those experiences and connections into the next generation of children.

paris-france-november-05-2018-260nw-1222494985.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 1 year later...

Knowing full well the strong opinions some of us have on the low-price, foldable boards, I nevertheless provide this heads up that the large music site that is our "Friend," is running a one-day sale today on the Carry On 88 Key folding piano.  50% off... $49.