Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cory Henry Yousicplay Class - Last Day for Pre-Sale Discount

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying you shouldn't get it, but I watched his 6 minute teaser. When he explained the "Lingus" solo, that it was in E minor, but to add another color, Ab, then proceeded to shred, left me impressed but not instructed.

I know a teaser video is just that, but there are some people that are so talented as performers but not necessarily good teachers. I've seen some of Jesus Molina's stuff where he'll say "this is what you want to do", then start tearing up the keyboard without breaking anything down. I learn nothing except I'll never touch what he's doing.

No disrespect intended to either of those guys. I want to quit playing when I see what they can do. I've found tons of solid instructional stuff on Youtube by people that fully and slowly explain so us mere mortals have a shot at absorbing it.

Cory started as a child prodigy and worked it from there. I'm no prodigy and have had to work and work and work and I still plainly know my limitations.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

No disrespect intended to either of those guys. I want to quit playing when I see what they can do.

Cory started as a child prodigy and worked it from there. I'm no prodigy and have had to work and work and work and I still plainly know my limitations.

Hopefully, you will reach that point in your life as a musician of accepting your talent and ability; playing music within it and on your own terms.

IMO, the most liberating aspect of being a musician is the day *better* musicians are meaningless. Sure, it's cool to appreciate another talent but never measure yourself against it.

Playing music is not a competitive sport. There are no winners and losers. Good music prevails and that lies in the ears of the listeners.

Not my intent to derail this thread and/or deter anyone from taking advantage of the pre-sale discount.

However, whenever I hear, see or read a musician making the statement quoted above, I have to counsel it.

Being able to play music is a gift. Enjoy it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

No disrespect intended to either of those guys. I want to quit playing when I see what they can do.

However, whenever I hear, see or read a musician making the statement quoted above, I have to counsel it.

Being able to play music is a gift. Enjoy it. :cool:

I appreciate what you've written and fully agree. My "I want to quit playing" was an overstatement as I have no desire to quit and enjoy continuing to learn (hence my comment about Youtube videos). I've played in many bands, some for $$, some for fun, some for ministry and have played with my church band for 30 years. I also teach one night a week and have had students as young as 8 and as old as 80+. All this aside from my day job.

I 100% accept my talent and ability BUT continue to seek to learn more. I'm comfortable in my own skin, whether playing music or otherwise.

Regarding my observations of guys like Cory and Jesus, they have a gift that amazes me, that because of what I know as a musician, allows me to appreciate them more fully than a non-muso.

Back to Cory's Master Class, trying to condense any part of who he is musically into 10 chapters is like trying to put the ocean in a five gallon bucket.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I was going to post something similar to what Bif_ said but didn't want to come off as needlessly cynical. I hope somebody gets something great out of this. But I suspect there won't be much of anything revelatory in it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

My "I want to quit playing" was an overstatement as I have no desire to quit and enjoy continuing to learn...

I 100% accept my talent and ability BUT continue to seek to learn more. I'm comfortable in my own skin, whether playing music or otherwise.

Regarding my observations of guys like Cory and Jesus, they have a gift that amazes me, that because of what I know as a musician, allows me to appreciate them more fully than a non-muso.

Gotcha. As a seasoned muso, you already know the deal. :thu:

However, I do believe there are musos out there who may not be as secure with themselves. My message is intended for them.

As a muso in ministry, you also know the "gift" that Cory Henry and Jesus Molina have cannot be taught or bought. ;)

Some musicians are sent to the planet for us to witness the power of the universe. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If you dig Cory's playing getting a chance to hear him talk and play will be good for you. I've been around a lot of musicians like Cory and know how they came up where it's all about ears, not formal schooling. That the same way the fathers of Jazz learned that why if you asked them a question they played you an answer. So if you understand that going in then listen closely to what he plays and how sees it. Then go and do the same yourself.

I am one of the big Herbie Hancock fans in the world and know his background contains more formal training, but that was a LONG time ago and he just listens and plays now. So when I took that Herbie Hancock Masterclass I didn't expect a jazz pedagogy to be presented, but getting to hear Herbie talk music and some insights and opinions was well worth the money to me.

I think today too many think there is an answer to everything and with the answers you know something. Education don't work that way the good teachers only point you in the direction of the answer and then it's up to you to go answer yourself by putting the work in. Like the Bill Evans story about his pianist brother kept asking Bill about how did play a certain something. Bill would never answer he would say a word. Finally one day Bill's brother finally asked Bill why won't you answer my question?" Bill said I don't want to deprive you of the joy you'll get when you find the answer yourself.

I saw a YouTube video that analyzed his Linus solo

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas