Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha S90 Key-bed...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There"s always a lot of confusion over action in the 88 note yamahas. I"ve had the S90, S90ES, S90Xs, S70XS, Motif ES8, XF8 and for me the one that didn"t fit in was the S70XS though on paper it had the same action as the bigger S90XS. I played the Montage 8 and I would definitely say it is not the same as the S90 or any of the above. It"s different, maybe what Dave said above, it"s a refinement but no it"s not identical.

Then again boards with apparently 'identical' keybeds wont always play the same as it will depend on the manner in which the sit in the carcass of the machine, how they are manipulated for the sounds of that particular machine etc. If I were you I"d try out the Montage 8 first, it"s a fine board with a lovely action and with your s90 experience I"m sure you"d adapt quickly to it.

I read recently that the Yamaha MO8 had the same keybed as the ES8/XS8/XF8 but I had an MO8 and never remember it feeling that good?

You would think that if the Montage 8 and S90 use the same Balanced Hammer Effect keybed, they would be identical.

In your opinion, is the Montage 8 keybed heavier?

I'm playing on a Kawai MP11SE. Some would consider that keybed light. Great for piano but I need a faster return key especially when playing orchestral instruments. I've always liked Yamaha keyboards, especially the S90. I don't want to buy another S90 though. I want something up to date. I'm hoping the Montage 8 is a great replacement.

If OP is coming from an original S90 I would think he could pick up an used S90XS somewhere and be really happy if he doesn"t need the on board sounds. It"s way lighter than a M8. M8 is a lot of money for just a key bed.

This is excellent advice, and it is what many Broadway pit keyboardists do: use the great feeling keybed of the S90/XS to play software.

I have a S70/XS and a Montage 8, and they feel identical to me.

I just got the Montage 8 (white version). I no longer have the S90, but from what I remember the keybed feels just like it. The key return is quick. Exactly what I need when playing percussion/drums and synths. I'll even make use of the internal sounds. The white looks amazing. ð