Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An OK Electric piano, too

So my sampling consideration in conjunction with my version of certain studio effect ideas I think I found similarly on A grade recordings made me state for now and overseeable posterity that I could play an acoustic piano patch on the CP4 and not exceedingly feel compelled to go into the reasons sampled signals are dreadful to listen to.

I mean. I still believe it's impossible to make even the simplest sample playback or easiest digital filter sound "right" without many considerations and actual processing to do so properly, even to the extend that any digital recording to me still sounds cold harsh and impossible to feel normal audio shapes in. Unless we'd use a perfectly reconstructing DAC, which nobody has. Preparing a signal such that an ordinary quality DIgital to Analog Converter chip/circuit (that is of quality that is almost ordinary by now, but historically speaking pretty good) sound ok in MY opinion is still a job that requires immense processing and skill to achieve.

In the CP4, using almost the same global effects processing as in the recent apiano example, the synthesis, harmonic components usage, electronics circuit simulation elements, and global effects combined to prepare the signal path in the Yamaha to be ok with normal DACs also works for electric piano, here's an example of the Rhodes '71 with some tube amp:

rho71b_lilf.mp3

It's a little funky, not too much, I don't think anyone needs to nick this music (of course rights reserved for commercial use) or by espiecally impressed by the tidiness of the improv, and somehow, probably also on your system as a listener, it sounds alright like an instrument, and during playing I didn't feel that ever present acoustic sh*t from sampling errors going back an forth spoiling the fun.

So, that's a good thing for once. Again, not for free download, but it's nice to know this is possible. The reverb of the instrument is guarding the mid range of the signal, and is more audible than needed in this case, there's work to be done on that. The recorded examples is taken from the USB recording on the CP4, doubled in amplitude by ffmpeg and put into mp3 without any processing or editing of any kind.

Theo Verelst

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic