Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me find a Light Hammer action

A light hammer-action......

Obviously there is no such thing, but I think he really means "a substancial synth action"

Fatar TP8S. Comes on a bunch of synths, if you find that data base of keyboard actions. Hard to beat.

You can get the action alone these days for a pretty low price.

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_8S.htm

Note one unusual word in the description for synth actions: "weighted."

So maybe a better description of the action: "weighted synth action" = light hammer.

I still stand by my original recommendation but if we take this POV, what about the Dexibell S1?

Here for the gear.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A light hammer-action......

Obviously there is no such thing, but I think he really means "a substancial synth action"

Note one unusual word in the description for synth actions: "weighted."

So maybe a better description of the action: "weighted synth action" = light hammer.

Hammer action is precisely that - a hammer mechanism that swings a weight (there's momentum), and the weight returns the mechanism to rest under the influence of gravity. Synth actions don't have a momentum characteristic, and are returned to rest by a spring. Even the heaviest synth action feels very different to the lightest hammer action.

I agree that Fatar TP8 is a lovely synth action - Vox Continental uses it I think?

Cheers, Mike.

I agree that Fatar TP8 is a lovely synth action - Vox Continental uses it I think?

Fatar does make a waterfall version of the TP8, it's the TP8O (O for organ) used in many clonewheels... but it does not feel like that's what's in the Vox, which feels better than those.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)