Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite obscure Herbie cuts

It was also the site of the infamous Ray Charles show where his guitarist went off on him, also captured on tape and played in the vans of countless bands since...

OT, but what's this? I just did a quick search but didn't come up with anything.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go. This thread sure has gone into several new directions! Shall we cover Buddy Rich next? :)

[edit - well it can't be embedded here, maybe that's for the best. Just remember, we're all human!]

Oh, by the way.... NSFW like a... well you get the idea!

https://youtu.be/rO297o2XBlg

Thanks. I'm familiar with some of the other ones such as Buddy Rich and The Guys Get Shirts. This one was new to me.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks. I'm familiar with some of the other ones such as Buddy Rich and The Guys Get Shirts. This one was new to me.

Well as long as we're going full-tilt off-topic with this...

After I first heard that recording, I assumed for years that it was some beef over a woman â that Ray had muscled in on some romantic interest that they guy considered his, or something. But then I heard otherwise from a musician who had worked with that guitarist. Obviously he was fired on the spot, and then apparently he spent some time in New Orleans playing on Bourbon. My friend said he never knew his real name; he only knew him as "Peg-Leg," which was what everyone called him. But apparently the deal was simply this: Here was Ray Charles, multi-muilti-millionaire with all the fame in the world, continuing to multiply his fortune while paying his band the lowest wage he could possibly get any slightly competent musician to work for, and then making them pay for their own lodging out of that... and then on top of that, opening every show night after night with the song "Busted," singing about how broke he is. He said eventually it just got to him, and that was the night he snapped.

Having heard that, while I obviously think he did was over-the-top unacceptable and he clearly deserved to be fired... I kinda get it. While I don't condone it, I understand how someone in that situation could be pushed to that point.

I feel better, because I couldn't tell from the video what started it. Clearly it started long before that gig. (Though if you're so pissed off at a situation that you're looking for a reason to go off, you're wrong. JMO Deal with it or don't. Anywayâ¦)

More obscure Herbie cuts, anyone? :)