Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CD-R Question ?

I recently purchased a pack of 30 Sony CD-R-Music (80min.) for my Marantz 631 stand-alone burner. So far out of the first ten, four have failed.

I'm wondering does this sound like just a bad batch of blank CD-R's or am I experiencing an intermittent problem with the Marantz. I've run across an occasional CD-R (of various brands) that the Marantz wouldn't read but never this many so close together.

Anyone got any clues?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some machines definitely prefer certain brands of CD-R's and will not work and play well with others. When in doubt, I suggest following the manufacturer's recommendations as far as the brands of CD-R's you use, and this is especially important with stand alone (hardware) CD-R burners - they seem to be more "picky" than most computer based CD-R drives. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the source of your problem.

The cd burner I added to my computer will not work well with cd's that are not maxell. I have no clue why, but if I use non maxells I get an error trying to burn.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Thanks all, and Phil I'll definitely give Marantz a call. I believe they recommend TDK's but all I usually see in stores are TDK DATA instead of TDK's for music. Also I noticed the 631 manual suggests using 74 min. CD's instead of 80 min. CD's if problems occur.

OTOH I just finished a box of Fuji 80 min CD's and didn't have a single dud but I didn't see the Fuji's last time I was at the store so I got the Sony's.

The Marantz 631 does not need "for music" CDR's.

And yes, I think it is a good idea to look for 650mb discs, rather than 700mb.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by cwfno:

The cd burner I added to my computer will not work well with cd's that are not maxell. I have no clue why, but if I use non maxells I get an error trying to burn.

That's weird. My computer's CD burner (HP) "eats" almost all the brands... Though my stand alone Tascam doesn't like any maxells at all.
I am back.

Originally posted by Phait:

Does data vs music CD-R's even matter what you burn on them? I'd at least think burning music cd's on data cd's wouldnt' be a problem..

My understanding and experience is that data and music CD-R's are identical. RedBook is RedBook, right? Music CD-R purchases include some cash going to the music labels as an anti-piracy measure. Although I've seen no stipulation in many of the contracts I've seen, that any of that cash is earmarked to the artist.

I use TDK & 3M data CD-R's for all my mastering. Haven't had one turned away from the dupe house yet.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

Originally posted by Phait:

Does data vs music CD-R's even matter what you burn on them? I'd at least think burning music cd's on data cd's wouldnt' be a problem..

My understanding and experience is that data and music CD-R's are identical. RedBook is RedBook, right? Music CD-R purchases include some cash going to the music labels as an anti-piracy measure. Although I've seen no stipulation in many of the contracts I've seen, that any of that cash is earmarked to the artist.

I use TDK & 3M data CD-R's for all my mastering. Haven't had one turned away from the dupe house yet.

There IS a difference - Music CDs have data pre-written into some sync header areas, which the stand-alone CD recorders check for before they'll work properly with them.

Archived