Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Art Lande Speaks

Lande is deeply into improvisation:

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I have always loved Art Lande's music, beginning in the late '70s... I have a bunch of his early albums, including Red Lanta. I especially like "The Piano Eccentricities of Earl Dant" ("Earl Dant" is another anagram on Art Lande). I also really like the Rubisa Patrol stuff, esp. "Desert Marauders" album. However, all that vinyl went to Brasil when I moved there in 1998 and never came back... oh well, lots of it still in my head!

Listening to these now. He did a talk and improv with Ravi Coltrane at the local U and that stuff just whooshed way over my head at high velocity. These pieces are more accessible for my small brain.
I make software noises.

I like his early work too, 'Red Lanta', the ECM duo album with Jan Gabaraek in particular is very beautiful work. And the Rubisa Patrol with the great Mark Isham was very good. Lande"s work after Rubisa Patrol got more experimental and I lost interest.

Interesting monologue from Mr. Lande. Thanks for posting!

The part about listening to the music and letting the story of music unfold is easy enough to understand, but a challenge to implement for those of us who are not at an advanced level. But it's something to aspire to.

Also interesting points about recording vs. playing live, not having to expend so much energy "emoting".

Also, thanks for turning me on to his music!