Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Donn Trenner

I did not know him personally but he was a fixture in my area (Connecticut). What an amazing life. His CV is unbelievable. How many people do you know today who can say they've played with Bird?

This 2-year old article is a very informative look at Donn's career. Condolences to his family & friends.

https://www.connecticutmag.com/the-connecticut-story/after-70-years-of-playing-with-legends-guilford-s-donn-trenner-still-has-music-to/article_96d51230-8537-11e8-b99f-6be5029ee9b4.html

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That"s one hell of a resume. The shot of him, Steve Allen, and Andre Previn is pure gold.

RIP

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Donn was a great guy, always had helpful feedback and kind words, and was generous with his time. I once had a lesson from him at his home, and after the lesson he spent another hour showing off the studio he built in his basement (he used to build Heathkits on the road), his many boxes of Steve Allen Show charts, pictures of his daughter and his favorite singer Ann Margret. You always felt like you were his best friend, and you had his full attention whenever he was with you. For a great read, get his autobiography, 'Leave it to Me...My Life in Music.' And he always closed his emails with 'Hugs'. And, if you didn"t know, that little piano rift throughout the Route 66 TV show theme song was Donn Trennor.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Glad to hear from someone who actually knew him. I'm still trying to figure out why or how I never got the chance to meet or hear him â I grew up in the southern CT area (lived at various times in Stamford, Norwalk and Westport) and have lived next to CT now for the last 18 years. Not exactly around the corner from where he was but not that far either. Many of my close musical acquaintances that I've worked with countless times over these year played with him. Both of us being pianists meant you'd never find us on the bandstand together, and I guess I didn't get out to hear others much when I wasn't working. My loss â I'm sure I would have enjoyed his playing a lot. I'm seeing many Facebook comments and condolences from my musician friends. I will look for that book. And I just checked out the rt 66 theme on u-tube (the show was just a teeny bit before my time, I don't remember seeing it). Nelson Riddle â I can only imagine the A-list L.A. players on that date! Don was in good company.

I'm still trying to figure out why or how I never got the chance to meet or hear him â I grew up in the southern CT area (lived at various times in Stamford, Norwalk and Westport) and have lived next to CT now for the last 18 years.

Man, I know that feeling. The closest contact I had with Tommy Banks was when I washed his windows during a summer between school years. I still kick myself at not having ever heard him live. I'm good friends with his granddaughter, I was a year behind her and her husband at university and we've all gigged together. She performed with him a lot in his later years.

Donn was a great guy, always had helpful feedback and kind words, and was generous with his time. I once had a lesson from him at his home, and after the lesson he spent another hour showing off the studio he built in his basement (he used to build Heathkits on the road) ...

Dang, Iove to hear this. I didn't know Don, but I had a mentor that inspired in the same way you describe (the Heathkit connection struck a nerve). Thanks for your remembrance and I wish I could've crossed paths.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Oh wow that is too bad. I like hearing stories and the background on people like Donn. They are sure becoming rarer.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com