Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should we be buying other stuff?

On the one hand, buying stuff helps keep the economy going, supports those businesses and those who work there.

OTOH, is it safe enough for the people fulfilling those orders for them to do that work? There have been reports that Amazon hasn't been doing enough to keep their workers safe (6 feet apart, cleanliness, etc.) so they shouldn't be risking their lives to fulfill anything except "essentials." Generally, if you order online, you probably hope the working conditions are safe and the employees are treated well, but how do you really know? Some of our preferred MI dealers are still selling online, so we hope that's the case for them, but we have no way to be sure besides reputation and trust.

I'm not sure if I should be ordering anything besides stuff I can't live without right now.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of a good question I suppose and how to know? I'd like to think people are not being forced into unsafe situations and acting responsibly but in the end your own safety in any circumstance ultimately falls upon yourself.

Yesterday was my wife's birthday and I ordered some flowers and chocolates on-line to be delivered. I assume the florist shop wasn't crowded or unsafe, I sort of envision maybe a couple people working there to fill orders but I certainly don't know. It's probably safe to assume the delivery driver was out alone. I do know that it prevented my need to go shopping at the store which is something I prefer under any circumstances.

Anyway when I made the order there was a small disclaimer I'll paraphrase as "due to current circumstances there may be a need to improvise but rest assured the arrangement will be delightful". When I got home the flowers looked great but the chocolates were in the shape of little frogs. I've never seen anything quite like that but they were tasty none the less!

Good points about online vendors, not disputing it.

i am buying locally, primarily at our local Krogers (Fred Meyer).

They've put up sneeze shields at all cashier stations, require you to pack your own bag if you brought it, have social distancing guideline stickers for the checkout lines to keep everybody 6 feet apart, have disinfectent wipes available at all entry/exit points and I see nearly all the employees wearing gloves and often masks.

Trader Joes has implemented similar measures. There may be others but I've not been to them. Just buing groceries and needed items like packing tape right now.

Some people are buying the things i've been listng on eBay and Reverb and I am very thankful. With no gigs it helps me keep the wheels on the wagon.

I am practicing social distancing, wear a mask and gloves at all times in public and have a pack of Clorox disinfectant wipes (the ones that actually kill virus) in my car.

That said, I don't disinfect the objects I sell. I've had not symptoms and the shipping period is long enough for the virus to die if it is present on the surface of my items.

I am intentionally using slower delivery services, that is one reason why I do this - the other is to keep the total price lower.

It's a mixed bag, depends on your vendor. I bought one thing, once, from Amazon. I don't want them to be the only retailer so I spend my money elsewhere.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm living as normally as I can while still respecting distancing. Many businesses are willing to take your order over the phone and then put the item in the trunk of your car when you go to pick it up....I bought a plumbing part this morning that way. Last night we got takeout from a local restaurant.

You have to be careful but if you stop everything the economy collapses.

I've read that COVID-19 can stay on cardboard for up to 24 hours, but the virulence decreases over time. So I just leave packages outside for a day before bringing them in.

This is why I don't spend a lot of time decontaminating, I have no control over who touches my packages after I drop them off.

The guy at FedEx Office who handed me a package on Monday was not wearing gloves, I was.

So I left it in the trunk of my car overnight, opened it downstairs in the parking area and left the box. Now that I've tested the item I can recycle the box.

Precautions are pretty logical and simple for the most part.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I've read that COVID-19 can stay on cardboard for up to 24 hours, but the virulence decreases over time. So I just leave packages outside for a day before bringing them in.

This is why I don't spend a lot of time decontaminating, I have no control over who touches my packages after I drop them off.

The guy at FedEx Office who handed me a package on Monday was not wearing gloves, I was.

So I left it in the trunk of my car overnight, opened it downstairs in the parking area and left the box. Now that I've tested the item I can recycle the box.

Precautions are pretty logical and simple for the most part.

I leave things for 72 hours to let whatever is in the box also decontaminate. Particularly for metal items. Then they come in.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

They can live up to 72 hours on flat surfaces in general. Unfortunately, this means extra steps for washing hands, sanitizing, etc. if you want to get the thing inside box out sooner than 3 days.