Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Neon Vines Thread 2.0

As mentioned in the other thread, I give her full props for her chops and courage. I'll also stand by the assertion that heavily automated music, doesn't sell well to most audiences. This is not a question of technology and modernity, but of whether the performer's "soul" is transparent to the audience. Sometimes gadgets can prevent the human connection.

This leads to the question I didn't address, of whether there are some audiences for which it will work? Absolutely. There are (smaller) audiences which rave about the magic Thomas Dolby creates in his one man shows, for example. Also people's ability to see artistry in diverse forms is increasing. The long tail of the internet allows for success in many forms.

Anybody with her courage and commitment deserves success. If she can focus on the human connection (story-telling, vulnerability, charisma, emotional courage, etc.) in addition to her amazing competence, she may well have the best of all worlds. Let's watch her journey. She may go to places we can't contemplate at this point. I wish her well.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neon Vines is expressing herself. She is singing. Thats not automated.

She is creating some loops, loop points, triggering, yes, I see that.

But thats not her entire gig.

She is playing the Roli keyboard live.

In some of her YT's she is playing drums.

She is writing her own material, and interpreting covers.

Doing her own music production, recording, etc.

Yes, she is a 1 woman band. I especially like versatility.

All this takes creativity and skill.

Sure, you can say, you don't like her voice

this or that, or you wouldn't do this or that. etc etc.

I wouldn't be distracted by picky points of 1 video or 2 by a promising

artist/performer

I think folks should consider she has excellent potential, in addition to skill,

versatility, creativity.

Its a bigger picture to get your brain into. Try to take a step back and see it.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Greg I think people do but we don't have to like it. Your points are valid I just don't think it's a lot of forum members cup of tea.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I hear you. But what I often read is not what I consider a ' balanced assessment '.

I also notice that some folks hear or see 2 areas, that they dislike, and game over.

I understand that some folks can't be bothered. The reasons will vary.

The artist we are analyzing has many strengths, much more than 2.

Some folks deliver a balanced assessment and I appreciate that.

That shows me they are reading thoroughly, have an understanding of music

production, and realize that 1 person, the artist, is using resources in an interesting way.

Those posts have value to me.

[70's Songwriter]

Understandable but I think the resentment comes from the fact that a lot of people have struggled with years and years of piano lessons or gigs to no avail. We have some really, really talented people on this forum. I know a few of them outside of the forum that are amazing in their own right. People like that girl are seen as a threat and deep down some of us are probably afraid that is where music is going and can"t control it. We are a dying breed as most of the members are older here and in short supply. There is probably some kind of inclination on some level, that she hasn"t 'suffered' as much as we did or do. Playing keyboards is arguably the hardest instrument to play. The sheer volume of piano music no one could get through in a life time for example. That"s just my honest assessment of where some of this comes from.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Not my customary music, but very well done. My grandson (HS junior) is producing electronic music at home (with a much smaller setup). No criticism gonna come from me - I listened to several videos with different instrument packages and I won't likely ever play keyboards that well. Plus, takes a lot of time to get skilled on the button-matrix devices and hit the right button - very well developed hand independence. Posted a couple of them on FB sent to grandson, granddaughter, and a few other friends.

IMHO, she sounds a lot better than some of the ones that get 40-50 million views and make a ton of $$.

And - she will be upping her game as she continues.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Understandable but I think the resentment comes from the fact that a lot of people have struggled with years and years of piano lessons or gigs to no avail. We have some really, really talented people on this forum. I know a few of them outside of the forum that are amazing in their own right. People like that girl are seen as a threat and deep down some of us are probably afraid that is where music is going and can"t control it. We are a dying breed as most of the members are older here and in short supply. There is probably some kind inclination on some level that she hasn"t 'suffered' as much as we did or do. Playing keyboards is arguable the hardest instrument to play. The sheer volume of piano music no one could get through in a life time for example. That"s just my honest assessment of where some of this comes from.

I agree with you. I have been posting and reading on KC since 2003.

I have asserted many times that keyboard players should be highly regarded for their knowledge and skill.

I find it very painful to read posts , year after year, how little control a keyboard player has in a band/gig etc, and how often they

are pushed to the background by other band members , guitar players, etc etc etc.

Just the same, and I think this is essential in making progress in your life, and your career;

One has to ask the right questions when undertaking a career, a new band, a spouse, a new keyboard etc etc etc

Life is not all luck and circumstance and chance.

The artist, Neon Vines is educated, worked her skill, her presentation, her promotion, used all her resources

and has a plan.

Its not luck. Getting some notoriety is not 100% luck.

I think hard work and persistence, education and being multi talented will attract luck.

FYI, I experienced considerable bad luck in my 20's. That was a harsh but necessary education.

[70's Songwriter]