Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forum Dare- Tell me if/why you don't dig Neon Vines

Song80s

Call me Captain Obvious, or what my take is...

A woman playing electronic keyboards. Not just piano etc etc.

AND she is singing WHILE playing a guitar solo on her Roli setup.

That takes skill, coordination, concentration.

The artist is am·bi·dex·trous.

That has nothing to do with being good music, you're talking like it's a sport not an art.

I have to disagree, respectfully.

I like the big picture of good music. What I referred to are elements within that

Concentration , coordination, tempo, being ambidextrous are parts of mastering the instrument.

Creativity plus mastering these mechanics [ if you will] can provide a good music result.

I also think of this as Left and Right brain activity. Both have a role and work in a coordinated fashion

to produce a desired result.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=

If she had some great tunes to work with I could easily overlook the rest of it. I would rather see her succeed than fail, I would love to hear her tackle a GOOD song and maybe she has.

The song in this video isn't good, I would dislike it regardless of who tried to sing it. Cheers, Kuru

I didn't mind your very critical answer to the video and the artist.

I assume you have considerable experience and felt qualified to point out your observations of the young artist.

I also consider relative potential. My opinion is the artist has very good potential.

The statistics on YouTube also provide overall, a level of world wide acceptance by listeners.

In many cases, you can't argue the data. It is what it is. Whether you disagree with the data or not.

[70's Songwriter]

Not for me. The first 5 seconds turned me off right away. Irritating sounds. But I kept listening. It does get better, the chorus has a decent pop catchiness to it, but nothing exceptional. I noticed it was a cover so I checked out the original. The original is the source of much of the problem... to me, the song just isn't good enough to be worth covering. As for her talent and skills at what she is doing, that's certainly more than respectable, it's just not producing music I particularly care to hear. Really, anything that CAN be done with loopers is probably not going to be anything I care to hear. I prefer music that is not so repetitive and devoid of "humanity" in the playing of the parts. But then, I'm old.

Hey Scott. I like your strong analytical ability . And you kept an open mind, while tolerating the first 5 seconds.

You gave a fair and balanced appraisal of the young artist and the structure of the original.

Will circle back and check out the original version, just for fun

Thanks

[70's Songwriter]

[quote=

If she had some great tunes to work with I could easily overlook the rest of it. I would rather see her succeed than fail, I would love to hear her tackle a GOOD song and maybe she has.

The song in this video isn't good, I would dislike it regardless of who tried to sing it. Cheers, Kuru

I didn't mind your very critical answer to the video and the artist.

I assume you have considerable experience and felt qualified to point out your observations of the young artist.

I also consider relative potential. My opinion is the artist has very good potential.

The statistics on YouTube also provide overall, a level of world wide acceptance by listeners.

In many cases, you can't argue the data. It is what it is. Whether you disagree with the data or not.

True the data is important. Jenna Marbles comes to mind, I no more than typed "jen" into the search on YouTube and she was at the top of the list. I haven't looked at any of her ish in months. 20.2 million subscribers (I am not one of them) cannot be wrong. At the same time, context is important - Jenna is obviously engaging a wide audience and has been doing so for years having started out with virtually no equipment at all. She isn't a musician, just a talker. Pretty funny sometimes.

Jenna Marbles

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jenna+marbles

Here are some other multi-taskers whose work I admire, starting with Jimmy Smith, who I think is often overlooked. Watch his feet!! Cheers, Kuru

Jimmy Smith

I can't wrap my head around tryng to do what Jon Gomm does. Mind blowing and then he starts singing too.

Jon Gomm

Another interesting approach.

Yasmin Williams

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

A forum member posts a video of themselves playing (working on their learning curve) and receives loads of support.

This video gets posted and displays someone's musical skills and she gets summarily dismissed by some.

Although she's garnered some notoriety on Youtube, she's not a nationally known artist that's 'made it'.

I wonder about the different measuring stick being applied to her skill set.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Based on the same logic, what about this guy? (2.4M views)

1][video:youtube]https://wwe.com/w=AxHt4-GDvck

Or this one?...

2][video:youtube]https://wwwom/watch?v=8n9Qlb7fziA

Logic ?

First video originated from March 2011.

9 years old on YouTube, There is an advantage to having this

on YT, for 9 years, where it racked up the 2.4M.

Your second video has 594 views

My O/P topic YouTube is from July 2018, under 2 years old.

1.3M views just for the 1 song

The young artist in the O/p has 12 separate videos

And I have done my best to clarify a prior post about musical result.

{ from my post on page 2]:

"Concentration , coordination, tempo, being ambidextrous are parts of mastering the instrument.

Creativity plus mastering these mechanics [ if you will] can provide a good music result."

Anyway, my choice and preference of music and presentation and performance is with the artist in my O/p

To each your own, as they say.

[70's Songwriter]

Cool, lots of fun performances here, particularly enjoyed the kalimba / guitar.

Voice quality, chops, song chosen, looks aside, I just don't dig this kind of multi-tasking. If she was just the instrumentalist I'd be impressed, but as she's trying to play challenging parts that require most of her attention she has almost nothing left for singing.

Vocals by their nature grab our attention, in this case they need to be soulful/emotional, but I don't want to watch her- she's doing something else, juggling many different parts at once, and therefore doesn't give the basic job one of singing its due, which is to get me to connect to the song thru her voice, eyes, dancing, etc. It's a complete non-starter for me for that reason.

It's like talking to someone who is trying to share something sensitive, personal, and she's multi-tasking on her phone at the same time.

It's a classic problem for anyone who has electronic assistance, whether it's looping, arranger keyboards, backing sequencer, etc. If the effort needed to create the backing tracks is completely invisible, everything has been setup / recorded in advance, then the audience doesn't see your musical efforts to create the backing tracks, and it looks like karaoke. At the other extreme is what she has done, giving so much attention to executing the instrumentals that her connection to the vocals is secondary and has little impact.

It's necessarily a simpler performance, but i've seen plenty of looping musos that show you their creation of the song from scratch, but have arranged it so that job one, connecting to the audience thru their singing, is done well.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Randelph, you make several good points.

Her " 1 Man Band " performance is going potentially split her concentration.

You are 100% correct, folks get into vocals - it is #1.

I listened to her vocal after reading your post- I think, and I am not sure, she is singing from her 'head ' or from throat up ?

The classic power of a singer is to sing from the chest or lungs, or gut. I am not solid on this, since I don't sing

Maybe you can clarify , if this makes sense.

All that aside, I enjoy her vocal performance.

Her pitch and timing sounds 95% perfect to my ears.

She is on the notes, and she is on beat. I appreciate her tone.

Maybe she and her vocal performance is not perfect, but I am not a picky perfectionist.

I suck at singing. I admire anyone who can sing a song in a persuasive manner. This young

lady does that IMO.

[70's Songwriter]

Greg, you did intend this thread for people saying why they *don"t* like her, right? At least that"s the way the title is.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Greg, you did intend this thread for people saying why they *don"t* like her, right? At least that"s the way the title is.

Hey Max, you are exactly right

I did that negative spin title to test assumptions.

I am on the critical side , for the most part.

This time , the young artist performance struck me

as deserving of an "A".

However, I figured I must be missing something in the letter grade.

And later, on I tried to make it clear in the post pages 'why ' I enjoyed

the young artists performance.

It was fun to see how each person took on the "dare'. They were free to

say if they really enjoyed the artist. I didn't stipulate that there were

hard rules about evaluation.

So far, I say the artist deserves an A. That takes into account her +10 years of experience

and training. She demonstrates poise. She has skill. And more potential and talent

than this 3 minute cover song. IMO

Would I compare her to Herbie Hancock ? Or Steven Wilson ?

Thats not her peer group. Thus a comparison to other favorites

of mine is not valid.

[70's Songwriter]

Count me among the unimpressed. I made it all the way through, but in hindsight I wish I'd bailed out earlier so as to save more time for the rest of my life.

Thoughts:

1) I don't see that what's she's doing is all that difficult. Rick Wakeman does three times as much without breaking a sweat. Hell, I've seen dozens of average bar bands with keyboardists who "multitask" more than she does. I mean, really folks...she barely even plays two-handed. For that matter, I could probably work up a fair facsimile of that tune if I tried hard enough--and I can't even play keyboards all that well. The vocals would be hard for me as my voice is a wreck--had laryngitis a while back and my voice has never recovered. Besides, I'm not the kind who throws in a little faux-emotive "uh" every ten seconds. Dammit, if I'm going to fake an orgasm, I'm going to go full tilt boogie and give it the "When Harry Met Sally" treatment. If the woman at the next table doesn't say, "I'll have what he's having..." when I'm done, it won't be for lack of effort on my part.

2) The music isn't to my taste, but she seems to be more or less in line with the kind of music my daughter favors: Overly emotive, yet with no depth to the emotion. It's a false front; she's acting, and not even acting all that well. She's pretending she's in a music video...oh, wait, she is in a music video, only it's a cheesy imitation of Selena Gomez or somebody. Go ask my daughter, she'll be able to tell you who this girl is imitating.

3) There's Lindsey Stirling, for instance. My kids went gaga over her last year or the year before. It's the same sort of thing. Sorta pretty girl. Sorta decent musical ability, but certainly nothing to write home about. And yet...people get all kinds of overwhelmed. Stirling clearly has better production values on her videos, but setting that aside it's really pretty much the same sort of thing...just mediocre talent garnering more attention than it's worth.

You asked why I don't dig the stuff? Honestly, I feel that the there are probably a hundred girls in my town who could do as well or better. Why some people gain momentum and others with more talent don't is a mystery we've all pondered from time to time. The girl in the video just ain't all that special in my view.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Soul is an arbitrary emotive construct. One man"s soul is another"s Frito corn chips.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Soul is an arbitrary emotive construct. One man"s soul is another"s Frito corn chips.
"Soul" can be different from one person to the next, but if you don't feel that something has it, then it doesn't â for you.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Cou...just mediocre talent garnering more attention than it's worth.

You asked why I don't dig the stuff?

Honestly, I feel that the there are probably a hundred girls in my town who could do as well or better.

Why some people gain momentum and others with more talent don't is a mystery we've all pondered from time to time. The girl in the video just ain't all that special in my view.

Grey

I am sorry to have played a role in wasting 5 minutes of your time.

Seriously, time is more valuable than money, IMO.

"Why some people gain momentum and others with more talent don't is a mystery"

Thats the eternal question in life and also on this keyboard forum.

I think one of the keys to success, personally or in public notoriety, is 'asking the right questions '

I bet that sounds ridiculous . Maybe not

Lets take the converse - if a person doesn't ask the appropriate set of questions in a life challenge, they

are likely to not have succeeded in that life challenge.

Many think a successful life or career is determined by luck. I disagree. Luck or convenient circumstance

is a very small factor.

Lets circle back to the artist that you and others here have ' evaluated ' in this post.

She is smart enough, skilled enough, and likely has a ton of persistence in her music career.

Plus she is presentable and I suspect she is getting good support as her talent is tangible.

12 YouTube videos and about 4 million views.

Thats not an accident.

When an artist has 4 million views, that tells me there is substance.

Its not a requirement that all of use here have to appreciate her talent.

I enjoy trying to understand what it take for 1 person to succeed

in a particular career while 1 million[pick a big #] fail at that same career.

[70's Songwriter]

I don't see that what's she's doing is all that difficult. Rick Wakeman does three times as much without breaking a sweat. Hell, I've seen dozens of average bar bands with keyboardists who "multitask" more than she does. I mean, really folks...she barely even plays two-handed. For that matter, I could probably work up a fair facsimile of that tune if I tried hard enough--and I can't even play keyboards all that well...

...Honestly, I feel that the there are probably a hundred girls in my town who could do as well or better. Why some people gain momentum and others with more talent don't is a mystery we've all pondered from time to time. The girl in the video just ain't all that special in my view.

Grey

I hear you about the keys/lead parts. However...

It"s not the keys playing that"s the hard part. Her whole deal is about live looping and triggering. Segments are pre-recorded, like some of the patterns, but she doesn"t hit 'play' once and play a melody line. Different parts are assigned to different controllers, as triggers to start. If her timing is off at all with starting those different sequences via the pads, the song would be a mess. It"s a tricky balancing act to make it all work.

For anyone interested in some of what she does, what she uses, and how it is used, I found an ZZsounds article from last year. https://blog.zzounds.com/2019/08/16/neon-vines-music-gear-picks/

Here"s an original. You can see a lot more of the multitasking here.

[video:youtube]

'Beat It' cover. ROLI keyboard solo at the end. Pitch correction on the voice, yes. Kind of hard to explain what she"s doing in this one, but as above, everything seems to be triggered live. Not all parts independently played live, but the timing has to be right to get it all to play together. Looping.

Here she is in one of Andrew Huang"s videos. Entertaining more than musical overall and it"s funny to watch the various 'producers' and their reactions. Note she has a much nicer-looking setup here.I think the sheet backdrop is more for giving a 'casual' feel to the other videos.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Also, found some older videos of hers. She does play actual instruments too.

Nice singing and pleasant guitar.

Keyboard and drums (bass too?).

Sweetwater also had her demo ROLI gear.

OK, any of the videos that Mighty Motif Max posted above would have gotten a different (and better) reaction from me than the one posted in the OP. I played it as it was given to me, there's just too much going on to keep up with all of it!

The songs are much better for one thing, the most important thing.

The video with vocals and guitar is not so over-processed and we can hear what SHE sounds like as opposed to hearing what her signal chain sounds like. She sounds good, she may not ever be one of the truly great singers but well above average.

I get that she is going for a stylized ultra-processed sound, it's almost like Cher's Believe has become a gold standard for parady vocals or something. Which is pretty funny, maybe an "inside" joke.

Yes, she is challenging herself with the multi-tasking and yes, you do have to hit the right buttons at exactly the right time or the whole thing goes down in flames. Still, it's different than playng in the moment and it sounds it.

It is a style and currently "in" although I think Billie Eilish may be shifting the "what is cool" to another style righrt now. It is about time for a change of some sort.

FWIW, I've done 18 remixes on Metapop and run the gamut on styles so it's not unfamiliar. I am definately not a "get off my lawn" kinda guy at all.

The video with Andrew Huang was interesting, I learned some cool stuff. I remixed one of his tunes, had 63 tracks of parallel processing by the time I was finished. Didn't win, so it goes.

If I were producing and collaborating on a tour plan, I'd position her more like St. Vincent, who plays the guitar as it fits and focuses on delivering the song. Annie Clark has a multi-tasking keyboard, pad wizard holding that down, an electronic drummer holding that down and a bassist who sings backups.

It serves the song better. Juana Molina comes to mind too, she gets a lot done with a trio and it frees her to serve the song.

My critique based on the first song stands but there is more to Neon Vines. Obviously, tastes vary. I'm good with that - everybody can like what they like and that includes ME!!!!

My opinion of Neon Vines has been elevated considerably, I may check on her from time to time and see what she does with all this.

Cheers, Kuru

OK, anyplan, I'd position her more like St. Vincent, who plays the guitar as it fits and focuses on delivering the song. Annie Clark has a multi-tasking keyboard, pad wizard holding that down, an electro

My critique based on the first song stands but there is more to Neon Vines. Obviously, tastes vary. I'm good with that - everybody can like what they like and that includes ME!!!!

My opinion of Neon Vines has been elevated considerably, I may check on her from time to time and see what she does with all this.

Cheers, Kuru

there is always more to the story. nice that you are caught up ;)

[70's Songwriter]

there is always more to the story. nice that you are caught up ;)

None of us will ever be caught up. More music comes out in one day than I can listen to in a lifetime!!!

I don't spend more than maybe an hour of two a week listening to anything. Today has me covered well into next week.

I play every day, working on my music comes first. Cheers, Kuru

OK, any of the videos that Mighty Motif Max posted above would have gotten a different (and better) reaction from me than the one posted in the OP. I played it as it was given to me, there's just too much going on to keep up with all of it!

The songs are much better for one thing, the most important thing.

The video with vocals and guitar is not so over-processed and we can hear what SHE sounds like as opposed to hearing what her signal chain sounds like. She sounds good, she may not ever be one of the truly great singers but well above average.

I get that she is going for a stylized ultra-processed sound, it's almost like Cher's Believe has become a gold standard for parady vocals or something. Which is pretty funny, maybe an "inside" joke.

Yes, she is challenging herself with the multi-tasking and yes, you do have to hit the right buttons at exactly the right time or the whole thing goes down in flames. Still, it's different than playng in the moment and it sounds it.

It is a style and currently "in" although I think Billie Eilish may be shifting the "what is cool" to another style righrt now. It is about time for a change of some sort.

FWIW, I've done 18 remixes on Metapop and run the gamut on styles so it's not unfamiliar. I am definately not a "get off my lawn" kinda guy at all.

The video with Andrew Huang was interesting, I learned some cool stuff. I remixed one of his tunes, had 63 tracks of parallel processing by the time I was finished. Didn't win, so it goes.

If I were producing and collaborating on a tour plan, I'd position her more like St. Vincent, who plays the guitar as it fits and focuses on delivering the song. Annie Clark has a multi-tasking keyboard, pad wizard holding that down, an electronic drummer holding that down and a bassist who sings backups.

It serves the song better. Juana Molina comes to mind too, she gets a lot done with a trio and it frees her to serve the song.

Cheers, Kuru

Those were from my watch history (thank goodness for that feature), or older videos I found as mentioned. Those are why I like her channel; I like the original How Deep Is Your Love by Calvin Harris, but it"s a song I"ve never seen an effective cover of. As I said before that cover wasn"t her best. I probably only like the original because it was popular here right around the 13-15 age range, and psychologists say whatever you listen to at that point will be something you like forever. :laugh:

That didn"t happen to be 'Yours', did it?

Not to go off topic in the thread, but Dua Lipa seems to be heading towards a more 'live' type of music. Check out this version of her newish song Don"t Start Now, live from LA. Much better than the studio version I think. Sure there probably was some editing later but overall this is a step forward.

As a matter of fact, it was.

I learned all sorts of good stuff about using Waveform by mixing that. The high track count came from learning parallel processing, track automation and blending effected tracks with given tracks.

With every remix I've set a different challange and experimented. Some of them sound nothing like what was given, others like Yours are pretty true to the provided tracks. It's been a great way to learn, I recommend it.

Such as it is, link below.

https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse/tracks/yours-opossum-apocalypse-remix/81308

As a matter of fact, it was.

I learned all sorts of good stuff about using Waveform by mixing that. The high track count came from learning parallel processing, track automation and blending effected tracks with given tracks.

With every remix I've set a different challange and experimented. Some of them sound nothing like what was given, others like Yours are pretty true to the provided tracks. It's been a great way to learn, I recommend it.

Such as it is, link below.

https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse/tracks/yours-opossum-apocalypse-remix/81308

Cool! Nice mix! Particularly like the intro and the acapella part on the bridge.

I also did that remix challenge. Took a lot of time and it"s the only one I did, but it was for the same reason you mentioned somewhere, having good solid tracks to work with and to not have to worry about trashing it as much. There were a ton of remixes submitted (+/-1,300 I believe), so I"m not sure if I caught your version the first time around. I listened to the first two hundred or so I think.

I kind of did the polar opposite of what you did, recording almost all my own tracks to replace the originals (honestly I didn"t like the original at all). 37 audio tracks, thirteen MIDI. All done in Cubase AI 9.5, which definitely served me well for a long time before I upgraded to Elements. Learned a lot in the process; nothing"s ever as simple as just recording nice tracks. Simulating sidechain compression with an expression pedal? Yep. :laugh:

Remix-Screen.png

This was the original submission with commentary. I did a finalized version, which is the video above, but the first track was the one they were going to judge unfortunately. Andrew Huang - Yours: Maxibillion Remix

Here"s my thread here with all the tech details for fun. https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2981746/My_remix_of_Yours_by_Andrew_Hu

^^ Awesome, you did a great job!

Honestly, I didn't like the song at all either. If I had seen/heard the video you posted above with Andrew's remix of another artist I would have gone full Opossum Apacalypse on it.

That is probably what he wanted to hear.

Instead I thought it would be best to be all nicey-nice. My bad but I still learned things I can use from now on and they will always be useful.

If I recall, first prize was Komplete Ultimate, pretty nice stuff.

I've only played instruments myself on a two remixes. I downloaded one recently but too busy now to mess with it. Another little bit of fluff pop, ugh.

I've wanted to focus on the remix aspect and also was thinking that the Artist would like it better if I kept their stuffs.

Haven't won anything that way so I will not hesitate to slice and dice in the future.

I will go back soon and try one. This time it must be discombobulated. Thats the most fun, doing the most "wrong" things you can think of only worse.

I've done lots of pitch shifting, clip stretching and crazy EQ dives. Was showing a friend what could be done and turned a kick drum in to a shaker, that was fun.

I just got Eventide Physion on sale so next remix I plan to do a deep dive with that plugin. It's a powerful tool, can do crazy and way crazy as well as subtle.

This is the only piece I've put up that was all original, a spontaneous experiement. Mix was super simple, I just played 5 stereo takes in about 45 minutes and did parallel processing going in. One mastering plugin in the output, that's all.

https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse/tracks/that-itch/130532

Cheers, Kuru

Thats not an accident.

Hmmmmm... Sorry by given the current mediocrity of popular songs nowadays (here in Brazil and elsewhere), I do not think quantity tells anything about substance. Granted, given the amount of videos posted on Youtube, the fact someone outstands above the average just tells me the average is too low.

FWIW some of the popular music artists in Brazil are clearly competent but chose making money instead of producing good stuff, as this is what most people want/like. I suppose that is the case with several artists around the globe.

About the OP, her kind of stuff is boooooooooring to me as most of DJ like stuff. Yes, she's competent handling all the buttons, pedals, keys but not more than many others. Her voice is not bad though.

Musical taste is personal. Thank you for the invitation to opine.

Neon Vines is a skilled musician and producer. I like that she has keyboard chops. Props to her for her courage and skill.

However, for me, this clip is not musically satisfying. I prefer a more organic connection to an instrument. Unfortunately (and with due respect to her evident musicianship) in this clip, her connection to her instruments is too reminiscent of that an early 20th century fotoplayer. Too much automation can turn musicianship into

Thats not an accident.

Hmmmmm... Sorry by given the current mediocrity of popular songs nowadays (here in Brazil and elsewhere), I do not think quantity tells anything about substance. Granted, given the amount of videos posted on Youtube, the fact someone outstands above the average just tells me the average is too low.

FWIW some of the popular music artists in Brazil are clearly competent but chose making money instead of producing good stuff, as this is what most people want/like. I suppose that is the case with several artists around the globe.

About the OP, her kind of stuff is boooooooooring to me as most of DJ like stuff. Yes, she's competent handling all the buttons, pedals, keys but not more than many others. Her voice is not bad though.

Which is why I mentioned Jenna Marbles. She is a wonderful bastion of medicrity.

20.2 million subscribers and a video every week for several years - good luck counting the views!

Gangham Style? 3.5 BILLION hits, so it must be the best song by the best singer ever.

I agree that counting clicks is not a valid measure of talent. Using those sorts of metrics one would proclaim that McDonalds is the best restaurant.

[quo

Gangham Style? 3.5 BILLION hits, so it must be the best song by the best singer ever.

I agree that counting clicks is not a valid measure of talent. Using those sorts of metrics one would proclaim that McDonalds is the best restaurant.

I don't agree with your comparison.

Comparing your Gangham style example, a thing from 2012 is not relevant to the O/p of Naked Vines, which started in 2018.

the click count is not the only indicator of talent, skill and potential. Its an important element but not the only one.

I think folks , should make an effort to look at the bigger picture with a fair degree of relevance.

An artist will certainly strive to release content and increase clicks/views.

But comparing a pop artist from 2018 to something from 2012 is an apples to oranges.

I have noticed other flawed comparisons on this thread.

Anyway, I am fine with my view of things, and you can be fine with how you perceive the topic.

Or what you like or prefer.

Happy Easter. [ not sure if you celebrate that day]

[70's Songwriter]

Happy Easter to you as well.

We will have to agree to disagree that click counts are a relavant factor in quantifying talent and that the time segment can be an indicator.

None of this is saying anything about my opinions regarding Neon Vine or any other talent on the internet. I did say that I like her, I feel she has much better than the song you've chosen to present. It's fine, tastes differ, we're good.

Cheers, Kuru

[quo

I don't agree with your comparison.

Comparing your Gangham style example, a thing from 2012 is not relevant to the O/p of Naked Vines, which started in 2018.

the click count is not the only indicator of talent, skill and potential. Its an important element but not the only one.

I don't want to engage in one of those pointless and endless internet arguments that never go anywhere, but I'm troubled by the way this line of thinking goes. Either click counts are relevant to whatever metric or evaluative judgement you are making or they are not. And whether you're comparing 2012 with 2018 is also a relevant part of the same evaluation or it's not. Certainly you can enter the year as a variable into your evaluation metric and adjust for it. Either use click count and year or don't. You can't have it both ways â use click count when you want and not when you deem it not relevant. I tend to agree with KuruPrionz that if click count is a measure of how good something is, then Gangham Style and McDonald's are some of the best. But we know that's not true. Click count is simply a measure of popularity and how well something is spread across the universe it's in. It has no necessary relation to how good or talented or musical something or somebody is. We all know examples of very talented and excellent artists who are not successful or well known â who would not get very many clicks if they were on utoob â as well as purveyors of complete crap who get lots of attention and success, etc. Whether someone is talented, whether the music is good, always comes down to your personal opinion and taste. Popularity is never a measure of how good something is. Sometimes some things that are very popular are very good â in music, Beatles are a good example â and sometimes they aren't. McDonald's is an excellent example of that.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.