Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz Piano Study

I started studying piano in 1969. I studied jazz piano with Mark Levine, Art Lande and Mark Isham in the 1980s. I was hired by Mark Levine in 1994 to be the Technical Editor for his book 'The Jazz Theory Book'. I also was active in editing his 'The Jazz Piano Book' (1987).

I started studying with Barry Harris in 1992 and have continued to this day. My goal as an instructor is to help other musicians, who are interested in jazz but find it a little too cerebral. In my school we practice the Barry Harris method, while being cerebral, it's effective for developing the language for improvising single note lines and for beautiful chord playing.

I posted an image of my easy arrangement of "Embraceable You" by George Gershwin. It is an example of one of the most basic voicing systems I teach to those interested in getting into jazz piano. It"s in four part harmony with rules that are flexible. It"s a solid foundation for chording that can be embellished upon. I intend to upload a new tune every other day.

Ballad tempo, rubato, even eighths with expression.

Embraceable.You.ARRANGED_0001.png

Embraceable.You.ARRANGED_0002.png

703.thumb.png.5e0cdd5c82ac043b8e7a2b283d0d394c.png

718.thumb.png.0c1a9271b7a599eaebdefad23ce24666.png

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bag's Groove" blues with a 2 beat bass style left hand. Two beat bass is an essential left hand style for solo jazz piano playing..

Medium tempo, swing eighths.

Bags.Groove.2.Beat.F.png

Walking the bass on a chorus of "Bag's Groove" eventually switch back and forth freely between two beat bass style and walking style.

Medium tempo, swing eighths.

Bags.Groove.Walking.png

719.thumb.png.10580a85de6d07550c52e5493cdfa35f.png

721.thumb.png.8479af659269520628f4b91f92673d21.png

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

"ALTER EGO" with left hand arpeggio style (evens eighths).

Alter.Ego.Arranged.png

Ballad tempo, a stock "2+2" chord style arrangement or "choir style" chording on Polka Dots.

Polka.Dots.ARRANGED.png

706.thumb.png.c954fc3ae77c9625557e18fe404e87db.png

715.thumb.png.ab709130dfc4b65b973087a786cce2f3.png

Jazz+ is a longtime contributor and therefore deserves latitude regarding the "no offering of services" rule. But to me this feels like offering of services, resume and all. It might be different if it was an interactive discussion, rather than a thread updated daily by the OP.

My reading is painfully slow, but I might actually run through some of these chords if I find time. Stuck at home with kids, that's not likely. But I speak as someone who might actually benefit from this.

I'm not a moderator, obviously, but if I was I'd be asking the question "what if everyone did this?"

Again, Jazz+ is a productive member. This isn't personal.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

"Birk's Works" (C- blues) with a very simple 2 beat left hand style that also kicks with the melody. Medium tempo, swing eighths.

BirksWorks.syncopated.arranged.png

A Charlie Parker blues with Bud Powell style left hand bebop shell chords. Medium tempo, swing eighths.

Au.Privave.ARRANGED.png

714.thumb.png.0a9c3fc2c680a09810d31ad6fe9fe028.png

723.thumb.png.0462339e002e8fd53791be303c026859.png

A Night In Tunisa featuring the handy stock "tresillo" left hand which works on any tune, can be done like a stride, or swing. Medium tempo, even eighths.

A.Night.In.Tunisia.ARRANGED.2.png

Barry Harris's approach to "minor ii V ". Medium tempo, swing eighths.

Woody.n.You.png

711.thumb.png.f349c51aaf68151b5ab0899ece44fe5b.png

732.thumb.png.35428bbaf5c199954b19334edbe68837.png

If ever there were a time to re-evaluate the rule(s) this would be it. Maybe extenuating circumstance and as long as it"s fair to all...I"m just asking the question.

You may be right. But there's a section in the forum for people who want to offer lessons. It's not like there's no way to do that here. The more need there is for musicians to ply their teaching trades, the more need there is for an orderly way to do it.

If I was to make the case for this thread, I'd argue: 1) he's offering content for free, not just repeatedly advertising lessons, and 2) I doubt there's other members who are likely to post a bunch of charts, so I don't think there will be many threads that mimic his.

But I also think there's important differences this thread and Dave Ferris' "miscellaneous." In Dave's thread, the instruction is in the thread itself, and it's interactive. Nowhere does Dave mention that he gives lessons remotely.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Another tresillo rhythm left hand bass pattern arrangement. Medium tempo with even eighths.

Blue.Bossa.ARRANGED.png

Another Bud Powell style left hand arrangement of his tune "Parisian Thoroughfare". Up tempo with even eighths.

Parisian.Thoroughfare.SHELLS.png

713.thumb.png.5de0f19f17f4dcfe6e6c47bb9f02540a.png

720.thumb.png.67802592e8f865ce5b059602dbc07e4d.png

I edited the OP to remove mention of online communication, apologies.

On to the music with a basic (stupid) question. Is it assumed or some how implied that 8th notes are syncopated in jazz or is there some kind of designation? What if you want straight 8ths in the middle of a song?

If you're talking swing phrasing, swung eighth notes are assumed. If you wanted straight 8ths, you'd have to indicate it in the score.

Syncopation means notes moved from the downbeats to the upbeats. It is frequently used in Swing, or when playing with a swing feel, but it has nothing to do with the subtle change of eighth note duration.

Thanks for the sheets, Jazz+. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences working with Mark and Barry :wave:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Mal Waldron showed me this tasteful left hand. Medium tempo, swing eighths, blues in F.

BagsGroove.F.Waldron.Stride.png

"Mean To Me" with typical Bud Powell 2 note left hand bebop chords in the baritone range. Syncopated to compliment the melody. (Medium up tempo swing eighths)

Mean.To.Me.ARRANGED.png

725.thumb.png.f8831d40000b712373ae67d97b533792.png

727.thumb.png.002c0b82fff3c9ee20a81283092e954f.png

Tresillo rhythm style left hand bass again.

Love.For.Sale.ARRANGED_0001.pngLove.For.Sale.ARRANGED_0002.png

730.thumb.png.75689829818c8e42413ebabff51639ce.png

731.thumb.png.1b6b4b68ee44f6d9986aa30d2b23da5f.png