Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Glue piano key tops...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it"s plastic on plastic, superglue would probably work. Plastic on wood? Probably not a good choice from my experience. Maybe a good quality rubber-type contact cement applied to both surfaces, let air dry, then press into place. Others may know better.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

If there is a glue surface already on wooden keys you may be able to glue to it.

Or you could quickly spread a thin coat of Gel Crazy Glue over the key surface and then push the plastic key top into place.

I would place wax paper between the keys and use a thin blade to scrape the excess off the sides quickly before it dries.

Good luck!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

PVC-E glue is the correct glue to be used on keytops. Its slow setup time allows time to carefully place the keytop and allows clean removal in the future if the keytops are to be replaced. I always remove keys from the piano and use clamps and blocks. Its an overnight repair. If you use superglue you have no way to correct the position if you miss and removal of the keytop will probably cause the key to chunk out, requiring a further repair.

If it"s plastic on plastic, superglue would probably work...

They make a "gel" version of superglue which works better when one surface is slightly porous.

PVC-E glue is the correct glue to be used on keytops. Its slow setup time allows time...

That's one other benefit of Gel Superglue, it typically allows a little more setup time and the ability to reposition parts. That sometimes means clamping or pinching the parts together for 5 minutes before it sets, but it works well in those applications where I've needed a quick and permanent repair.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Thanks for your help, guys... but, a nice little resident gig two nights per week, stopped because of the VIRUS. Doesn't matter any more!

EVERY gig/gathering/event in Abu Dhabi cancelled for the next two months.

Knew it was too good to be true, not having to carry a load of keyboards around in the heat...

Take care, guys n girls.

Adam