Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to connect Virtual/computer to amp?

I've tried the "search" function but can't seem to find an answer to my simple question: What is the best way to connect a laptop (computer producing the virtual instrument audio signal) to one's stage amplifier (system, or PA, etc)?

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not yet knowledgeable about virtual instruments. I've always used a dedicated keyboard which I simply hook via ¼ inch jacks to my mixer or amplifiers.

So I'm assuming I start with a keyboard, and then, via either MIDI or USB, connect my keys to the computer..... but then how do I connect the computer to my amps or PA feed? I would require a pro-grade connection, full range, no hum, etc. Using the headphone jack seems like it would be less than optimal in many respects. Is it a requirement to have a mixer, and that mixer also have a USB input (from the computer)?

Anyone know of a good tutorial on the subject?

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an M-Audio Interface that I use. Connects using the USB, and gives 1/4 outs that can go to the amp. Works quite well

I have it connected to my computer, then running out of it to my pair of Mackie Thumps

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

You are thinking correctly (from my point of view)--I don't (yet) gig with a laptop but I have a pretty good idea of how to go about it. Others here have more experience in a live setting and I expect they will chime in.

Indeed unless you use the headphone jack, you'll need an interface. This provides not only better connectors and maybe better digital-to-analog conversion but also might help with latency.

(Edit: Reezekeys makes a good point, macs have been the only computers I have used that seem to work ok without an interface, my windows laptops that wouldn't have gone so well.)

I'm noticing more keyboards and some controllers have an audio interface built in, which is very handy. My Modx does for example--so I hook the single usb cable between my Modx to the computer, and it not only sends midi to the computer but takes back in the audio and merges it with the Modx's own keyboard output.

I believe the Studiologic compact numa 2 has an audio interface built in, that looks to be a nice controller if you need one to go with the laptop.

I also have a Key Largo mixer that has an audio interface built in, but I haven't needed to try it out.

The smallest and cheapest interface I ever used (at practice a couple times) was a small behringer deal a couple inches across. At home I use a Behringer u-phoria, larger and better-built, the problem I'd have live is where to put the thing (I'd need a table or rack to get it off the ground, it might go on my keyboard with velcro).

In short: If you already have a keyboard that doesn't have an audio interface (most do not), and you are adding a laptop, I'd be looking at getting an audio/midi interface. Or a mixer that has one. The Key Largo is nice because it has direct boxes built in (with ground lifts) and you can combine the laptop with an existing keyboard easily (for a backup if nothing else).

Thank you, folks, great input / help! Greatly appreciated.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

What you have understand is the typical of signal you're sending to the amp. Use the headphone jack on most laptop and you're sending a hot signal to the amp so need to keep the laptop level down when setting up and slowly workup the laptop volume and amp volume. I would use an audio interface, that is a line level signal still hotter than a instrument the typical amp is expecting, but not as hot as headphone out. What would work best is an audio interface into an amplifier that has a Line Input, or if a guitar amp with a effects loop plug into the return side of the effects loop that will sent the signal to the output stage of the amp.

Apple used to say their 1/8" audio out of their computers could sense what they are being plugged into and adjust between headphone or line level. My old Mac Pro did, but not sure if their laptops worked the same way.

Apple used to say their 1/8" audio out of their computers could sense what they are being plugged into and adjust between headphone or line level. My old Mac Pro did, but not sure if their laptops worked the same way.

They did, at least the ones up until 2017, I have no data beyond that. They also had hidden Toslink transmitters at the bottom of the socket; you could send optical S/PDIF if you had the right cable...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I find no mention of this "autosense" ability on any Mac's headphone jack despite a fair amount of googling. Might it just be the heaphone amp delivering different amounts of power based on the impedance of the device it's connected to?

I have heard that some newer Macs will reboot the audio subsystem if you plug or unplug something from the 1/8" jack. That plus losing the toslink port makes me happy I still use my late-2013 MBP!

Bad idea, imo. I have one of those cheapo USB guys. Amazon and Ebay are filled with them â they probably all use the same chipset. My thought was to create an Aggregate Device* in AudioMidi Setup so I'd have two independent stereo outputs from my MacBook Pro. Four channels of audio for $8, gotta try that, right? The only problem was, this cheap USB interface had the habit of randomly disconnecting itself! Oh well.

If you think about it though, why would a $8 interface sound any better than the Mac's headphone out? Yes, I've heard about how an internal sound card picks up emi or other digital noise from being close to the motherboard. Maybe some computers, but not any of the Macs I've owned â at least not enough to be audible to me. Certainly fine for gigging and probably even recording (I have a different workflow for recording so I haven't tested that).

One of the advantage of the Mac's headphone output is that by not using a 3rd party interface, you eliminate a potential failure point. (Actually, two failure points if you also load a custom driver for that interface). That's why I stopped using my MOTU MicroBook IIc after it disconnected in the middle of a show. If you only need stereo output (and no inputs), and no extra special features an interface might have, I see no reason to use a USB interface for most applications.

Maybe your luck will be better than mine â here are some examples a quick search on Amazon came up with. I got the one on the left.

*For you Windows folk - an "Aggregate Device" is a way in OSX to combine the inputs and outputs of multiple audio interfaces so it appears as one device to any app that outputs audio.

USB-audio-adapters.jpg