Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MFB Dominion 1

Probably a little over year ago I bought the MFB Dominion 1 and had said I would do a review. I never did. That said, I've been enjoying it. Here is a pretty good review:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=i_tIDPxs9oQ

I may still get around to a review of my own, but one thing I wanted to mention that I've run into is that the MIDI response is very finicky. I don't rely on it much as I mainly just use it live as a solo synth. But I have noticed weirdness in just trying to send patch changes and stuff. I have a Kronos patch that layers in the Dom 1 and works fine, but to be reliable live I always check to make sure the Dom 1 is on the right patch.

We are recording the next CD and there was one part listening back that I wasn't entirely happy with my timing. It's a part where there is a break with literally nothing but synth, and it's a mono patch where I hold down a note and play a 16th pattern. So it's not just key down timing, the release timing also has to be spot on since it results in the jumps to the held note. IT was mostly my releases that were bothering me. So I thought I would redo it sequenced and send it to be patched into the mix. The computer I used to have sequencing software on crashed, so I just used the Kronos Sequencer. Played, Quantized, playback and the Dom 1 goes all weird. If I turn on an internal sound in the Kronos it plays back fine, but triggering the Dom 1 it seems like it just can't even handle simple note triggers without getting messed up.

I have no other complaints and for all its analog goodness, maybe decent MIDI implementation is too much to expect. In this case, I'll just do multiple live takes until I'm happy just like the good old days. Since it's so stark in the mix and the style of the part is deliberately rigid based on the context of the part in the song, I thought maybe some quantizing would be appropriate, but it's not in the cards, so I'll just need to quantize my brain, LOL..

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea why the video isn't embedding....I'm usually pretty good at that. I tried multiple ways and looked at the UBB code for other videos that are embedding properly and can't for the life of me figure out why this one isn't working. That's why I decided to stay a devil in my avatar after Halloween.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have two thoughts.

1) is the behavior patch independent on the dominion? So can we conclude it is something global rather than some patch setting?

2) can"t you try to just sent a MIDI clock (or set the right tempo in the dominion) and use the internal arp/sequencer to re-create your part?

Rudy