Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

#1 You can set the octave range so the preset keys aren't on the keyboard.

#2 I don't know.

#3 b3x is a finicky but does work work with other apps in the background so if you set up a split with the split just containing those high notes and set the midi channel to say 4 and use a synth app set to midi ch 4, you can have a synth or something on those notes.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

Thanks JR!

3 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

#1 You can set the octave range so the preset keys aren't on the keyboard.

Really? When I tried yesterday, the octave range buttons just controlled the onscreen keyboard, and my Nord was still changing the presets when hitting those lower notes.   I'll have to try it again.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

53 minutes ago, Kawai James said:Really? When I tried yesterday, the octave range buttons just controlled the onscreen keyboard, and my Nord was still changing the presets when hitting those lower notes.

I have the same problem, currently the only solution is to limit the key range on the controlling keyboard. Another restriction is that it is not possible to run a clean organ output without leslie/amp sim to use an extetnal Leslie.

2 hours ago, Kawai James said:

Thanks JR!

Really? When I tried yesterday, the octave range buttons just controlled the onscreen keyboard, and my Nord was still changing the presets when hitting those lower notes.   I'll have to try it again.

Cheers,

James

x

I'm thinking that I got used to using my 49 key controller and forgot that you might not be able to shift on a 73 key board. You should be able to octave shift in split mode though.

FunMachine.

11 hours ago, Kawai James said:

It seems that there is still no way to disable the bottom-most preset keys, despite requests from users, correct?

Requests from users don't seem to have much impact on IK, so that seems par for the course. (My own pet peeves on B-3X are that you can't assign the drawbar controls for the upper/lower manuals to different MIDI channels, which precludes easy use of numerous 2-manual setups where the drawbars/sliders for each manual are naturally send out of the same channel that manual's keys are being sent on; and that they never updated the Hammond profiles for the SK Pro... none of the existing Hammond profiles match, and again, the app's settings don't have enough flexibility for you to do it yourself.)

The way I'd address your issue (since the Electro doesn't have a split that allows you to disable or assign a different MIDI channel to the keys you don't want B3X to respond to) would be to add an app like Camelot Pro or Keystage, which will let you filter those "preset" keys out, on their way from the Nord to B-3X. (Latency may or may not be an issue... you'd have to try it and see.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah I'm hot and cold on those presets.  On one hand, they actually are useful since my Modx doesn't have a very good set of controls for drawbars, so that is one way to quickly get variation that beats trying to use the ipad surface.  On the other, I accidentally bump them pretty regularly yielding unpredictable results!

That is pretty weak that there's no option to turn them off (??)

I need to look into a better boost option for my occasional solo.  I've been using either the leslie gain (from the superknob) or the mod wheel (set to tube screamer on/off).  Both increase volume but the TS is pretty overkill distortion wise even at low overdrive settings.  I'll have to see if I can set the mod wheel to a range and try mapping it to leslie volume (for a bump only).  Or maybe the EQ with a volume bump set on it.    Another approach would be something in the Modx zone if that's possible, that way I could apply the same technique to piano and other internal sounds.  Mod wheel to a boost of some kind.

18 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Yeah I'm hot and cold on those presets.  On one hand, they actually are useful since my Modx doesn't have a very good set of controls for drawbars, so that is one way to quickly get variation that beats trying to use the ipad surface.  On the other, I accidentally bump them pretty regularly yielding unpredictable results!

How many presets do you need? If you only need, say, 5, you can create a MODX7 Performance with a MIDI zone to play the 61 key range of the organ on the appropriate channel, another MIDI zone to play the bottom 5 keys on the same channel (for switching presets), and then assign no MIDI output whatsoever to the keys in between. That empty "buffer" area will reduce the chance that you'll hit a preset key accidentally. Using more zones (MODX supports up to 8) and/or MIDI note transpositions in the zones, you could get fancier... like using a combination of keys at the very bottom of the board AND keys at the very top; or only black keys (leaving white keys unassigned). Those would be other strategies that could give easy access to more presets with lower risk of hitting any of them accidentally.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The only time I ever hit them is when I get a little too enthusiastic with glissandos or whatever those are called on organ :)    I generally never play anything close to that octave (since we have a bass player).    

5 hours ago, Kawai James said:

Thanks JR!

Cheers,

James

x

Go to ‘Advanced’ (button in the top left) and set your keyboard split there.  I set mine to pedal/upper with a split point of C1.  

The receiving midi channels are set in ‘Setup’ (the cog/wheel). I have mine set as upper=1, lower=2, pedal=3, program change=1.

I set my Nord to transmit on midi channel 1 which means it only plays the upper manual and from C1 upwards…therefore no presets.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just purchased the B-3X, using it on an iPad Pro, and yes, it does sound GREAT!  

My issue is an iPad Pro “display/view” one…..  B-3X will ONLY display on my iPad Pro in landscape mode.  I need to use forScore in portrait mode…..  does anyone know any way to get B-3X to display in portrait mode?  (I know it would be small or cut-off, but nevertheless I need to use portrait mode.)

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

3 minutes ago, cassdad said:

does anyone know any way to get B-3X to display in portrait mode?

possibly using the Stage Manager function of iOS, if your iPad model supports it...?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

possibly using the Stage Manager function of iOS, if your iPad model supports it...?

Yup, wow, thank you, AnotherScott!!  That works, somewhat.  It does indeed accomplish exactly what I requested.  The downside is that the B-3X app does not seem to work as well in that “mode”…. ie. moving the drawbars is very glitchy, does not work very well.  But it does accomplish what I’d requested - so THANK YOU!  (I had never heard of “Stage Manager” before - every day is a learning experience!)

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.