Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What was the first "Blues Power Trio?"

Originally posted by ThatDrumnGroove:

i heard something about pete townshend doing the first power chords

All I'm saying is Lightnin' Hopkins definitely played some distorted power chords in 1954. Check out "Lightnin's Boogie' on the "Lightnin' and the Blues" CD.

Not saying he was the first, but I believe he just might have been.

Some of the early Chess sides from Chicago by Muddy , the Wolf, and others also had a cool raw sound.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

Some of the early Chess sides from Chicago by Muddy , the Wolf, and others also had a cool raw sound.

Ain't that the truth...I would've loved to hear those guys live - I think most likely they would've been using their guitar amps to project sound from the stage (as opposed to thru some sound reinforcement system) so they would probably be hot & crankin' in a club. There's gotta be some footage somewhere.

I watched a little Howlin Wolf & Hubert Sumlin tonight from the 1962 American 'Folk' (hehe) Blues Festival DVDs that came out recently. They're recorded at a lower controllable volume though - and Lightin is on acoustic guitar with a pickup but the amp isn't hot...very very cool... :cool:

Well, the first power chords of the modern rock era were probably in the opening riff of "You Really Got Me" by Jimmy Pa... er, the Kinks. :P

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

y'know, now that I'm thinking about it a little, even though they had a lead singer, weren't the who a power trio?

Yeah, pretty much. Once in a while Roger would play harmonica or (very rarely) guitar. After a while they had a keyboard player at live gigs as well, but he didn't play all the time (just songs like "Baba O'Reilly" and "Who Are You" that had actual keyboard parts).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

hey now - ZZ Top totally kick ass blues trio. cream of course did some blues, due to claptons influence, but i dont think i would call them a blues trio.

jnorman

sunridge studios

salem, oregon

The first band that came to mind to me was Blue Cheer. If I remember correctly, Vincebus Eruptum was their debut album. THAT was a power trio. Not much else, but their version of Parchment Farm and Summertime Blues was the loudest thing I had ever experienced at that tiime. They had the biggest stacks of Hi-Watts I ever saw before or after.

I'm not sure if they were pre or post Experience, Cream or Zepplin's first albums, but it had to be close. They were definitely more powerful than any of those bands; not nearly as tasteful, but surely more powerful.

Archived