Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long before you said "I love you"?

Originally posted by LanceMo:

Do you believe in love at first sight? I definitely do. That's why I'm open to say those words sooner than some people.

I hear people say this all the time, but I don't know what this is exactly. Does this refer to some sort of infatuation? Because I can't imagine that it refers to a "deeper" sort of love that, say, a couple that has been together for a year might feel. Or is this some sort of magical thing that CAN occur? What does it feel like? I have no way to imagine what this could possibly be like.

I've had one friend, John, who was introduced to a woman at a party. Time stood still for them.

The first words that flew out of John's mouth were, "Oh, my f*cking God, will you marry me right now!?!"

The rest of the people and the room disappeared for them. They dated for two years and then got married. They have been happily married for over ten years now.

Is THIS what it's like? I just have no idea.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

I've had one friend, John, who was introduced to a woman at a party. Time stood still for them.

The first words that flew out of John's mouth were, "Oh, my f*cking God, will you marry me right now!?!"

The rest of the people and the room disappeared for them. They dated for two years and then got married. They have been happily married for over ten years now.

Is THIS what it's like? I just have no idea.

That sounds exactly right to me Ken. It's happened to me maybe 5-10 times over 20 years. Some were responses were stronger than others. Sometimes we were both too freaked out to act on it. A couple times she's been married already (that really sucks!). And a few went down the tubes either because of my own misguided antics or her not being ready for such a major commitment.

Anyway, the feeling is just that you were "made" for each other. Really I think it's that we look for a concrete image of our ideology, our sense of what life should be and find it all in one beautiful package. But there's no conscious analysis going on. We've already done that before we meet her. It's a subconsious, emotional left hook right on the kisser!

I'm very happy for your friend and his wife. :thu:

Well, that's quite amazing then. I have definitely never experienced this. Mine is something that occurs after a while, after infatuation has subsided.

Archived