Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My PC turns itself on! Help?

That's right, my PC turns itself on sometimes throughout the day, and almost always turns itself back on at least once when I shut it down. I don't understand this, and my power bill is getting a little high. I was wondering if anyone knew what could be the cause of this problem. I have an older cheap case.... maybe get a new one? Power supply problem.

I am also using AMD Processor and compatible motherboard so if you could, please lend some advice.

Matt

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be due to several causes:

a) The "Modem Wake Up" mode is ON. This means, if the computer is connected to a MODEM and it detects an incoming call, the computer will turn on itself. See the BIOS settings and turn it off.

b) Same idea, with a LAN cable. If there's some activity in the LAN, the machine will turn on. Same solution.

c) Deffective ON/Off Switch or power supply. Make them be checked.

The quickest solution to this is to connect the Computer to a UPS Voltage regulator. If the regulator is not turned ON, it will be impossible for the computer to turn on by itself.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

On one occasion when this happened to me, it was actually a spyware program that had installed itself onto my hard drive. Get clear of it.

BUT, now mine is randomly turning on again, and I'm 100% positive that it's the power switch gone mental. I find it hard to turn on when I want it on, and it seems to have a life of its own when I don't want it to.

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Mine doesn't quite do this but it won't shut down completely, I have to swicth the mains off when it powers down, other wise it will continue to hum and the power light will be on but dimmer than usual. Kind of like sleep mode but it isn't in sleep mode?!?! Wonder if it's a similar problem. Will check the things suggested here and let you know if it helps at all...
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Archived