Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs/bands to cover with three guitars and keyboards

Problem being, I'm personally not a huge southern rock fan and prefer more new wave and rock like Talking Heads, The Cars, Tom Petty, The Police, etc.

No wonder we get along whenever we see each other at MAKCH

A lot of Police songs have multi-tracked guitars, so you guys could def. do 3-part guitar arrangements of those songs. Talking Heads of course had their expanded live lineup (Adrian Belew on 3rd guitar, Bernie Worrell on extra keys). Never could figure out what The Cars' Rick Ocasek was doing on rhythm guitar other than the clicking thing.

If I was one of the 3 guitarists (and somehow forgot how to play keyboard) I'd be the one volunteering to reproduce synth/keyboard parts via effects pedals such as the EHX Mel9, EHX B9, etc.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything Bruce Springsteen? The E Street band has 3 guitars, two keys players plus saxophone, everybody would have his hands full.

Ok, just joking.

Serious answer: I'd quit the band the very second a third guitar was even whispered about.

If I was one of the 3 guitarists (and somehow forgot how to play keyboard) I'd be the one volunteering to reproduce synth/keyboard parts via effects pedals such as the EHX Mel9, EHX B9, etc.
This +18 (strings).

I saw Suzanne Vega live recently - she played her acoustic, she had bass/drums/2nd guitar, and for over half the set her guitarist was basically playing synth (Roland V-guitar). Begs the question why she didn't hire a keys player instead, but at least it was a more creative approach than the obvious g/g/b/d thing.

Back to the OP - does one of the three guitarists play keys? 2x keys + 2x guitar is much more versatile and fulfilling.

Cheers, Mike.