Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Canon Thread

Since this thread has reappeared from the bowels of MPN, I recently sold my T2i and bought a used 6d - original version. 

I like it, full frame is just comforting for some reason. It reminds me of my 5d but much improved. The high ISO performance is orders of magnitude better for one thing. 

Some lenses came and went and I regret selling the 70-200 f4 L but it's gone. 

I did a model shoot recently and only used the 85 1.8 and a Tamron 90 2.8 macro (which is notably a longer focal length than the 85, go figure). 

I'm keeping an eye on the Canon 135 f2 L lenses out there, I LOVED that lens on full frame. Everything just looked fantastic. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Purely out of curiosity, what do you like about full frame? 

The viewfinder is larger, I LOVED the viewfinders on 6x7 cameras but since those are not part of my ish now, I'll settle for full frame. 

I find it easier to compose and to assure or assign focus. Since the camera is a bit larger due to the larger sensor, the LCD screen on back is also larger. That's nice too.

I'm finding that some of the things I did on the T2i exist on the 6d but the layout is different so I'm still learning it. Not s big deal but an notable improvement in visual function is a big deal to me. 

I used to go into Live View, move the focus rectangle to the chosen location (the eye of a model for instance) and then if I was using a manual focus lens I could zoom in, focus the eye and take the image. If using electronic focus then it would be a bit slower than not using Live View but more accurate, I'd just put the focus rectangle where I wanted it after composing, press the focus/shutter button down and take the photo. 

So, primarily the visuals are bigger and bigger is better. That said, I would love to have a smaller camera, the Fuji stuff looks fantastic to me, primarily because they have an outstanding line of lenses.

56mm 1.2 on APS? I'm in, that is a beautiful lens!!!

Full frame also deals with low light much better since the pixels are larger. The T2i was 18 mp on crop frame, the 6d is 21 mp on full frame. 

The highest ISO I could use on the T2i before it got too grainy looking was 3200 and that was pushing it. At 3200, the 6d images look like 400-800 iso on the T2i. 

Straight up, the image quality is superior at all ISOs but really shines at higher ones. If I can use available light, I will and the 6d offers more options since I may be shooting handheld and need a faster shutter speed. 

Bear in mind that these two cameras came out around 2011-2012. I'm certain newer cameras in both APS and full frame have better performance. They also have much higher prices, I paid $425 for a 6d in excellent condition, that was doable since I already have a bit of a lens stash in Canon EF mount. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.