Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound KP612S vs. KP610S?

16 hours ago, mmartinez said:

Anybody using one of the KPs (408, 612) in a typical loud rock band? How does it hold up there?

Where do you guys position yours - in back of you like the guitarists and bassists (backline)?

I am…. I’m using the “new” KP612SX coupled with its “slave”, the SL-512.  The combination is a monster.  1st time in my life I can drown out the loud guitarist.  Having the guitarist ask me to turn down has been sheer fun.  Giving them a taste of their own medicine finally allows them to understand the importance of playing as part of a team.  But I digress…..

I usually try to place it behind me some distance (as far back as space will allow).  But in reality, due to space constraints and other players placement desires for their amps, I often end up placing it simply wherever there is space.  Regardless of location, it seems to work very well, and in stereo.  The only rub is that sometimes other band members want to stand right in front of it… so not only are they blocking the sound, they are blocking the stereo (if that makes any sense).  I have casters on both units, makes transport very easy (as long as I can roll, ie, not stairs!).  I even purchased 5-inch caster wheels - WOW does the thing roll easily, almost can’t stop it.  Not sure I would recommend that, but I always wanted to try it!

I separately posted my review last year:  

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

23 hours ago, mmartinez said:

Anybody using one of the KPs (408, 612) in a typical loud rock band? How does it hold up there?

Where do you guys position yours - in back of you like the guitarists and bassists (backline)?

I've commented earlier, but I'll chime in again that my 610 more than holds up in a two guitar band. Our two guitarists use tube amps in the 40 watt range. Although we all try to keep it down, we can pretty loud sometimes. No problem for the MS amp whatsoever. 

Where I place mine depends on how much room I have on stage. I try to be similar to the guitar amps behind me, i/e at the same level aiming straight out. I also use an amp stand tilted back right behind me if there's no room near guitar amp....