Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rush Trio Celebrates 30 Years Together

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, Super 8! I'll play.

One whole side of 2112 counts as a song, right? I mean, it all adds up to one concept. So I'll take that. Also "Distant Early Warning" and "Marathon". And "Mystic Rhythms".

Oh, and I just remembered that many of their lyrics were also influenced by John Dos Passos. When you read "District Of Columbia", "U.S.A" and others, you see that many chapter titles are the same as Rush songs from a certain era. I think probably "Power Windows", but I'm not just sure about that. Of course, most people already know that Ayn Rand influenced the 2112 concept and perhaps more.

You know what? I've gone completely in the opposite direction from prog, I mean for the purposes of my own music. I'm a lot more interested in songcraft, mass appeal, pop sensibility. But, there's just something about Rush. When you're seventeen and have something on vinyl, I think it bores a hole into your DNA for life. And that's a good thing. ;)

Originally posted by d gauss:

[QBok, how 'bout the cliche-fest lyrics to 'Tai Shan'? :)

[/QB]

I'm not sure I'd say that was a "cliche-fest" lyric. But I'll admit it wasn't one of my favorites on the album.

How about: (I'm going through a lyric list HERE , and these are a few of the songs that are jumpig out at me.

Entre Nous

Different Strings

Subdivisions

Losing it

Afterimage

The Pass

Bravado

Nobody's Hero.

I don't think these are silly or pretentious lyrics. I think they are intelligent lyrics. I think they write intelligent music.

By that, I don't me music or lyrics that is above others (because 'I can't get no satisfaction' is a great lyric). I mean that they are honest and well thought out, and generally to the best of their ability.

'By-tor and the Snowdog' is a story. There are other stories Peart has done with varying degrees of success -in my opinion;

2112 -which I didn't care much for

The Cygnus X-1/Hemispheres thing -which I enjoyed a great deal.

Red Barchetta

Red Sector A

There are a bunch of them.

What I have enjoyed about RUSH has been their desire to experiment and try things...even if there was great risk attached to it. They weren't afraid to use synths or tubular bells, or to put a rap in the middle of 'Roll the Bones', or to write songs that were about something other than getting drunk and getting laid.

Sure, not everything they have tried has worked out. That's the risk. But consider 2 songs; "Vital Signs" and "Force Ten". Both are favorites of mine. Neither one of those songs was written when they entered the studio to record. They purposely went to record those albums with less than an album's worth of material because they wanted to try writing songs on the spot to see what they would come up with. That takes balls. Because there is a great deal of likelyhood that those songs will end up being filler. Yet they were highlights on those abums.

I find RUSH to be an inspirational band because they strive to do something different. Oddly, it's the difference that many people complain about. Ironically, those same people bitch about format radio.....go figure.

Okay, sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now. :bor::D

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

When I was 16, in 1977, the garage band I was in loved the live Rush album, "All The World's A Stage". We did our best to cover "Anthem", "Fly By Night", "What You're Doing", and "Bastille Day". Because of all the fun we had, it's the older Rush I like the best.

I learned a lot trying to play all of that and had a blast. And although I would now rather emulate Charlie Watts than Neil Peart, copying Neil's parts forced me to be better at drum rudiments = good for any drummer.

I bet there are still some pot seeds in the binding of that double-album.

Originally posted by timrocker:

But, there's just something about Rush. When you're seventeen and have something on vinyl, I think it bores a hole into your DNA for life. And that's a good thing. ;)

:thu:

In high school (late 80s) I would listen to 2112 to pump up before soccer games. If the bus ride was too long and I got to side 2, I'd end up just getting depressed and having a crappy game...

Originally posted by whitefang:

I have to semi-agree with d gauss about Pert's drumming. I don't think it's totally "grooveless", but it's somewhat pretentious. Sort of like Carl Palmer. Some of us thought Palmer was outstanding, but it was really that his "pyrotechnics" fit the music ELP was doing. I defy! I defy! Anyone to say there was anything impressive about Palmer's drumwork in that God awful "Asia" group(or however the fuck it was spelled)!

Back to Rush...back before they were really well known, I(and a few friends)thought that they and a group called "Pavlov's Dog" were one and the same. Just by the vocals. I only have the Rush "Chronicals" on CD. And while I can honestly say that it's hard for me to get into a LOT of Rush's tunes, the ones I DO like more than make up for it.

Whitefang

I saw Dave Sircam (spelling?) formally the lead singer of pavlov's dog in a little bar in St. Peter's MO. We had played the bar the week before. He was doing a cover gig warming up for a reunion show at the Pageant. He was really good too. Put on a pretty good show. I was amazed that he was in this little place, but I've had some of the best shows there. The crowd loves their music.

I can't wait to play there again. OK Back to the discussion, sorry...

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Archived