Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rush Trio Celebrates 30 Years Together

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a fan for about 22 of those 30 years. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get to work or see the tour opening concert here at Starwood. :( Even if I took the day off to work it, my daughter's insignificant "graduation" from day care is that afternoon, and hour before show time. Try telling a 5 year old you want to miss her graduation for a concert. :freak:

Oh, well... I ran spot for their concert in 1997... (sigh)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I ran Spot off of their 1978 concert. Ol' Spot kept coming in, trying to raise his leg on Alex's amp and chew up Geddy's Ric. So I chased him off.

HAHAHAHAHA...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

I ran Spot off of their 1978 concert. Ol' Spot kept coming in, trying to raise his leg on Alex's amp and chew up Geddy's Ric. So I chased him off.

HAHAHAHAHA...

:freak:

:D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Cool!

I was a fan up until the 90's, when I felt there material was just not nearly as strong as it had once been. After 'Test For Echo', I just couldn't bare to listen anymore. It broke my heart. :(

I still haven't brought myself to check out 'Vapor Trails'.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

Cool!

I was a fan up until the 90's, when I felt there material was just not nearly as strong as it had once been. After 'Test For Echo', I just couldn't bare to listen anymore. It broke my heart. :(

I still haven't brought myself to check out 'Vapor Trails'.

Heh, I had the same experience. Word for word. As far as their songwriting goes, it seems they're running on fumes now. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised? Maybe not.

Oh Boy, it comes and goes... After so many years, there are still people blaming their aversion for Rush on Geddy's voice (fantastic on my book, by the way), pretentiousness (c'mon people, let's admit we all would die for having a tenth of that kind of musicianship) and similar grudges.

The one thing to praise here is the band's disregard for their detractors opinions. In a world increasingly ruled by the media, Rush's career sticks out as a sore thumb.

As for me, I'm itching for whatever new material might come out... perhaps some sort of return to the keyboards (only thing I've been missing).

P.S. = As everybody else, I also did not like some of their albums. But the last two studio works are among my favorites :cool: !

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

As has been said in lots of places, the mastering on Vapor Trials SUCKS THE BIG ONE!

I don't know what the powers that be were thinking. The performance and material is very good but everything is ultra compressed to the point where it's a strain to listen to it.

Anyhow, like most rock artists they maintained their peak for about 7 years. For me, 1977-1984 were their best years. The other years weren't as good but so what? They was still a lot of good work during those other years.

It's interesting though, their live show for Test For Echo and Vapor Trials were the best I've seen (catch em' indoors if you can). They can still play. Neil especially, woooo.

I was a big fan during the classic Rush era - 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals. I didn't care for Grace Under Pressure and I supposed I also needed to find new things to listen to at about the same time. I haven't purchased a studio album since the late 80's, but I've heard the Power Windows is good. I might check that one out.

I prefer Geddy's voice to many famous rock voices, including Robert Plant. To each his own.

RUSH RULEZ!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I'm partial to the same list as Dan South, though I have always loved Power Windows, too. What a great album! But my favorite will always be Moving Pictures. Incredible from beginning to end with no soft spots.

But while I haven't been thrilled with the past decade or so's output, I still love 'em.

But somehow I just can't see them having the same effect in prison as Johnny Cash or The Blues Brothers did. :D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by LanceMo:

Anyhow, like most rock artists they maintained their peak for about 7 years. For me, 1977-1984 were their best years. The other years weren't as good but so what? They was still a lot of good work during those other years.

I'd agree with that statement. I cannot discount the work before or after that period, because there was a lot of good stuff there, but the period you mentioned does stand above the rest. Especially 'Permanent Waves' 'Moving Pictures' 'Signals' and my personal favorite; 'Grace Under Pressure'....which I felt was the most consistently good album they have released.

When I was a teen, I think I wore out the grooves in the records listening to their stuff.

Regarding Geddy's voice: There's nothing wrong with Geddy's voice. He has a fine voice. It's a different voice.....but thank god for things that are different! There's so much 'sameness' everywhere else!

Regarding their 'pretentiousness': Neil overplays. That's the end of their pretentiousness. That's Neil. He plays like he speaks. Neil is just that way. But he's very purposeful in his approach. Some of the things he's done have been too over the top, but many other times, his experimenting has uncovered some cool stuff that really sweetened up the song. You take the bad with the good. He's still one of the most inventive drummers I've ever heard.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I grew up on Rush, Moving Pictures in particular. I have seen them live many times. Funny enough, as a guitarist I usually gravitate to the guitars. Not with Rush, I love the way Neil creates tension with fills and breaks. Geddy's playong is astonishing considering he is singing and not just banging out quarter note root notes.

I forgive them for any "over mastering" and stylistic brain farts in the past 5-10 years. Their musical interaction both recorded and live is a joy to behold, and tragic events in their lives' kinda buys them a break.

If you can, see them live. They make ya want to break out your instrument and jam!

There is no substitute.

The thing for me about Rush is longevity. They've been at it for 30 years on and off. That kind of longevity is hard to come by.

I tuned out for a lot of stuff in the 90's. I did manage to tune in for Roll the Bones though. Pretty good effort. After that nothing really great. Vapor trails I like. I mainly listen it in the car where I can make up for a lot of it's super compressed sound. There's some solid song writing in there.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Well someone reasoned that the band is called Rush and they are a trio...

If there's a problem with that I guess someone could check with whomever wrote the article. It's from Reuters.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by ibescotty:

Well someone reasoned that the band is called Rush and they are a trio...

If there's a problem with that I guess someone could check with whomever wrote the article. It's from Reuters.

It's just the headline. This happens all the time with articles. Nothing to worry about, at least once you start reading the article.

IOW, it's meant to get your attention. ;)

I can't help but wonder, had they better management, how far could they have gone? They certainly have (had) the talent - Super 8's right - Test for Echo sucked. Hard. But the only track I ever hear of theirs on the radio is Tom Sawyer. And I'm not going to even mention MTV and music videos to them, because I don't think they've ever heard of it.

Just wondering what's kept them with the same management all this time. I always thought they could've been bigger.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

I can't help but wonder, had they better management, how far could they have gone? They certainly have (had) the talent - Super 8's right - Test for Echo sucked. Hard. But the only track I ever hear of theirs on the radio is Tom Sawyer. And I'm not going to even mention MTV and music videos to them, because I don't think they've ever heard of it.

Just wondering what's kept them with the same management all this time. I always thought they could've been bigger.

Bigger?

Have you been on Mars for the last 30 years?

They have been one of the most prolific album/tour bands in the history of rock & roll.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

And I'm not going to even mention MTV and music videos to them, because I don't think they've ever heard of it.

I have to echo DanS's sentiments - have you been on Mars for the last 30 years? I've seen Rush videos, and you can even buy a video collection on tape (and probably DVD). Sure they're not Madonna or Britney or Marilyn Chambers, but they have had airplay.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Anybody else read Neil Peart's book, Ghost Rider? I read that about six months ago and enjoyed it.

I'll always have a copy of 2112 on vinyl to listen to about once a year. I have no quibble with Power Windows. Enjoyed them in concert, ca. 1983-ish.

Ok, ok. So no one agrees with me. I'm used to being lonely on Mars?!? But I still stand by my convictions that Rush could've/should've been bigger.

Being a prolific musician doesn't mean you got the exposure you deserved. Composition volume and management quality are mutually exclusive concepts...

MTV has had a pretty rocky relationship with Ray Danniells. Their videos were produced, but there was apparently no room in the programming schedule because in the 80's they were too busy playing Poison and Motley Crue videos every half hour. Wouldn't you have liked to see MORE of them?

I maintain the most consistent press they got was Geddy on the cover of Bass Player.

Thanks for not resorting to name calling or threatening to beat me up.

http://images.allposters.com/images/73/039_28666.jpg

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Ok, ok. So no one agrees with me. I'm used to being lonely on Mars?!? But I still stand by my convictions that Rush could've/should've been bigger.

Rush's music is a bit TOO intelligent to hit it BIGGER.
I am back.

Archived