Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blindfold test of pianos

bjosko

I call that noodling testing, easy slow ballad playing. He never tests the action with the ease of technical playing. He never plays fast runs, or a Chopin Etude, or solo on Giant Steps or fast stride.

Not about this demo in particular, but just in general, I think slow playing is more revealing than fast playing. Lots more pianos sound good when played fast than slow. With most pianos being looped, fast playing only lets you hear the "best" part of the sample, before it gets to the loop. Fast playing also tends to have less dynamic variation, so you can't get a sense of the expressivity from pp to ff. Fast stuff, while also useful, I think tends to tell you more about the capabilities of the player than the instrument.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not just about the sound. The action, that's what I'm talking about. How much effort is it going to take to burn, how stressful is it going to be on the tendons. Those risks. Digital actions can side line you. I'll never forget how messed up my hands got from the Yamaha P-250 Pianists sometimes do play fast. No? Those are key points in my book.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I don't think a demo of someone else's fast playing is going to tell you how tiring you'll find the action or how your hands will feel after playing it for a while. I think that's asking too much from a youtube demo. Plus some other player could have much stronger or weaker hands than you do. But maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were looking for out of the demo.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I know even with the Avant Grand (which is so good) there is some adjusting to the digital instrument... at least a few really good players I know have suggested they can get fatigued if they forget they are playing on the N3, which is easy to do. I concur.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I don't think a demo of someone else's fast playing is going to tell you how tiring you'll find the action or how your hands will feel after playing it for a while. I think that's asking too much from a youtube demo. Plus some other player could have much stronger or weaker hands than you do. But maybe I'm misunderstanding what you were looking for out of the demo.

Disagree. A pro pianist can tell right away how hard he is having to work when burning.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived