Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for an analogue audio switcher

Jon May

I'm looking for an analog switcher box that can switch or mute audio based on received MIDI program change. Preferably 2-audio in 2-out. There are various stomp-box-style amp switchers out there that can be reversed to become 2-in 1-out, but I'm hoping for auto-magical switching. Battery powered.
"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking for an analog switcher box that can switch or mute audio based on received MIDI program change. Preferably 2-audio in 2-out. There are various stomp-box-style amp switchers out there that can be reversed to become 2-in 1-out, but I'm hoping for auto-magical switching. Battery powered.

I´ve never seen a small (2x2) analog I/O audio routing matrix w/ MIDI and memory locations.

Try to find a good/working condition AKAI MB-76,- 7 unbalanced analog inputs w/ storable input level pots for each channel into 6 unbalanced outputs. 32 memory locations, MIDI programm change recall and MIDI channel user selectable.

Internal PSU, 19" rackmount.

I use one since decades, toured w/ it ... never failed.

More info HERE

I also owned the PEQ-6 and sometimes regret I sold it.

A.C.

Is this again for your Electron + hx3 setup? Im really thinking there should be a more easy way! For instance, as suggested in the other thread by making silent patches on either of them.

Rudy

Whoo, never seen this f ok Akai!!! It means that, with the PEQ-6, I could have the main output of my DRUMBRUTE and 5 separate output to go to 6 input, apply a different EQ on each of the 6 "channels", and have a mix of 3 outputs, one for me, one for my drummer and one for the main PA?

Or I have to use both units to do that?

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Whoo, never seen this f ok Akai!!! It means that, with the PEQ-6, I could have the main output of my DRUMBRUTE and 5 separate output to go to 6 input, apply a different EQ on each of the 6 "channels", and have a mix of 3 outputs, one for me, one for my drummer and one for the main PA?

Or I have to use both units to do that?

MB-76 is the programmable router w/ individual input level adjustment ...

Routing configuration AND input levels will be stored individually in every preset memory location.

You can switch between 32 of these via MIDI Prg-Change command.

PEQ-6 is a different unit.

6 7-band "graphic" EQs under the hood,- 1 set of user programmable/storable controls on the front panel.

Even the controls a rotary pots, it´s a graphic EQ (fixed band/ +/- xxdB boost/cut).

It has 32 memory locations too.

The machines have MIDI In and Thru ...

When you own both, you go from MB-76´s 6 outputs into the 6 inputs of PEQ-6 and from there to mixer, amps, DAW ... whatever.

Connect MB-76 MIDI-Thru w/ PEQ-6 MIDI-In and send MIDI Prg Changes to MB-76, which then transmits MIDI to PEQ-6.

According to signal routing of MB-76,- you can multiply individual input signal(s) across the 6 outputs (duplicate AUX sends of a mixer p.ex.) OR merge any number of input signals into only 1 output (or grouped outputs) and at different relative levels.

You can also combine both features and the only limitation is count of inputs and outputs.

It´s simple and effective !

In the past I always wished the MB-76 had 8 inputs for my Yamaha TX-816,- a MB 86 so to say,- but it never happened unfortunately.

Up to now I´m using the MB-76 routing Minimoog D and DX7mkII into different preamps and FX for overdriven/distorted leads and have a mono input/output channel running to a tube OD and rotary spkr. sim.

For just only the flexible signal routing jobs, you don´t need the PEQ-6 urgently.

A.C.

Also you may want to check out the XR18 mixer by Behringer. Ive been using it for quite a while since it first came out and have (mostly) good experience with it.

You can setup scenes which is basically a saved setting of the mixer settings (muted channels for example in your case) and then recall them via MIDI. I have not tried using it this way (Im not using the MIDI functionality) so maybe someone who has one can chime in if it works as easily as the manual suggests.

While it is not battery powered it is very flexible and can be used as either an 18 in/out audio interface as well as switchable in settings to a 2 in/out audio interface.

Might be overkill for your application but having options can be a good thing :)

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

Whoah! I turn my back for 24 hrs and suggestions come pouring in - thanks so much everyone

Would this work (Soundsculpture Abacadbra)?

Clonk

I did see that one Tim and it's certainly the form factor I'd prefer over rack-sized units. I've only had a quick look, but the example setups show switching activated by foot switches. I'm not sure if it could be programmed to look for eg) MIDI Program change data.

EDIT: Just read this... "The ABCadabra can be controlled either by MIDI Program Change commands or by Control Change "on/off" commands (sometimes referred to as Instant access switches) as are found in most of today's MIDI foot controllers. "

It is a 1 audio in - 2 audio out unit whereas I want the reverse, which maybe it can do? Have sent them an email.

Is this again for your Electro + hx3 setup? Im really thinking there should be a more easy way! For instance, as suggested in the other thread by making silent patches on either of them.

Well spotted there Rudy. Yes, I'm wanting to play the Electro's non-organ programs without the HX3 organ sounding. I have yet to sit down and count up how many non-organ Electro memory slots I use. I suspect I may end up needing to silence (with draw bars zeroed) many of the HX3's 16 presets. Still it's an exercise that needs to be done, and certainly a clean & simple solution.

Do I understand correctly that you have a complete set of sounds you want to scroll thru when performing? And because the HX3 only has 16 preset locations, you have the chance of running out of presets.

If that is the case, a solution is making sure that for every non organ patch, the HX3 is using the same (silent) preset, so you have to remap the program changes. This could be done, if you have a smart phone, by something like setlistmaker. This program allows you to send program changes cc's to both your boards. There are also dedicated program change pedals who can do this. Finally you could also use an event processor to remap.

I would strongly suggest to solve this with midi and not with an audio switcher. If you don't have a well built device, it could bring more trouble than solve things.

In my opinion, your problem is a quite common midi problem.

Rudy

... a solution is making sure that for every non organ patch, the HX3 is using the same (silent) preset...

That is very cunning if i can achieve the remapping!

I would strongly suggest to solve this with midi and not with an audio switcher...

An event processor was where I was heading until another member strongly suggested that hung notes could be an occasional issue. :laugh:

Suddenly, just adding a second keyboard doesn't sound like such a bad idea :laugh:

You could also setup the Nord to send no program changes and do them manually. In case of an organ sound you have to push the program change on botje the Nord and HX3, but if you have enough time this might be a good solution.

Rudy

... a solution is making sure that for every non organ patch, the HX3 is using the same (silent) preset, so you have to remap the program changes.... Finally you could also use an event processor to remap.

I would strongly suggest to solve this with midi and not with an audio switcher. If you don't have a well built device, it could bring more trouble than solve things....

Rudi - it is slowly dawning on me that remapping the Nords non-organ programs to the same silent program on the organ module (on the same midi channel) is not going to risk any hanging notes. Correct?

Correct. You only sending (remapping) midi information when switching sounds.

EDIT, That is in the case that you use something like setlistmaker. I don't know the event processor thought. I can imagine all midi data is going "through" the event processor, not only the program changes. So it still could be possible that there is a chance of hanging notes. Maybe someone with more knowledge about these things should chime in. If you are using a third device that only sends program changes I pretty sure you are save. (I used setlistmaker a lot without problems!)

Rudy

I can't even imagine how to incorporate this into a rig :o

Phone (or other device running Setlistmaker) between keyboard and module connected via USB?

Archived