Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedal weirdness controlling software piano

Mjazz

I have a Yamaha FC3A sustain pedal (the one that supports half-pedaling) connected to my CP4. Works fine.

But when I use that setup to control Pianoteq, I can see that there's major weirdness with the pedal input that's being detected by Pianoteq. For about the first half of the FC3A's downward range of motion, the "pedal" image in Pianoteq rapidly flutters up and down as I depress the physical pedal (meaning, I assume, that the MIDI values being received are bouncing around all over the place, even though I'm just smoothly depressing the pedal). Once I get to about the half-way point on the physical pedal, then the Pianoteq "pedal" behaves as expected, going down and up in sync with the FC3A.

I assume that the problem is in the FC3A, that the potentiometer in there (if that's the right word) isn't making smooth electrical connection as it moves through its range. It's a few years old. Any other possibilities?

This only matters if I use the "sustain pedal noise" feature in Pianoteq, which I don't especially care about, and I can turn it down to zero. Still, it would be nice to have it working properly.

I'm wondering whether anyone else experiences this with an FC3A or other kind of pedal, in Pianoteq or other virtual piano software. I don't want to spend money on a new pedal if this is just typical (crappy, but typical) pedal behavior.

Thanks!

Mike

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to watch this thread carefully. I've been occasionally using an FC3A with Pianoteq via a Midi Expression adapter directly into my laptop (my board is a Privia PX3 and it doesn't support continuous pedaling). I sometimes have to fiddle with the pedal when it first boots up to get it working right, but once it settles in, it seems to be working normally.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I don't know this exact pedal, but my first inclination would be to open it & see if the pot is sealed or not. If not, I would spray it with de-oxit. If it is sealed, you might be looking at replacing the pot, but I would probably try the hail mary of cleaning the 1/4" jack, also working the pedal as I jiggled the cable around & see the response. I've seen jacks and plugs with enough oxidation or dirt to affect contact in weird ways. Also, cables that get worn enough to have intermittents. Sorry that the best I can offer is a fishing expedition but I always start with the least expensive possibilities you can get lucky sometimes!

Reezekeys, thanks ... definitely not the cables, and the pot is sealed. So maybe I'll replace that if I can find the equivalent. I just spent a few minutes rapidly working the pedal up and down to see if that would clear any oxidation on the pot, and it did help.
Mike

One more thing to maybe try before replacing the pot - redo the solder connections on the the pot & anything else soldered. I had a solder connection on a circuit board for my QSC K8's amp board come off the board but you couldn't see it at first glance.

Archived