Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bob V-IV-I: Hello and welcome. Today on [b]This Old Song[/b] we're taking an old blues number and injecting new life into it. With me is Doctor Frankensteinway. Dr.F: Hello Bob V-IV-I: What can you tell me about this old song? Dr.F: Well it was originally built in about 1904 by a share-crop worker coming out from Arkansas to California. You can see in the details that is was rough hewn, but used good stock. Bob V-IV-I: It is indeed rough hewn. A lot of sanding must have taken place. Dr.F: Right. The song was originally built in the key of E. We had to sand down to find the fundamental. Some of the overtones were blistered and peeling. The harmony was all painted over some time in the 1950's. Bob V-IV-I: A lot of those old songs were in the key of E. We forget that nowadays Dr.F: Right, but with some attention to the underpinning, we were able to raise the pitch up to G. Bob V-IV-I: Did you have to add reinforcing? Dr.F: Only to the neck, then we just changed the strings and made sure the bridge was okay. Bob V-IV-I: The song looks pretty good. I see you added a chorus? Dr.F: That's right. The original blues song didn't really have a chorus as we think of them today. So we put the chorus on as an addition. Bob V-IV-I: Was that expensive? Dr.F: No, I did the labor myself. It was a little nerve racking. Bob V-IV-I: To say the least! But it seems to sound very nice now. Dr.F: Thanks! Bob V-IV-I: That's all we have time for this week. Next week we look at this modern Rap style of song building that appears everywhere these days. We'll look at hemp-decorating and find out how to use old lyrics in the garden as mulch.
Oh yeah? That's fine for you, you're an accepted member of the entertainment community. What about me? What about Igor? Marginalized by Hollywood yet again. I want my Mummy . . .

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice work, guys. You know, you can dress up those Five chords for the holidays. i like to use whatever's sitting around. Here's a C# i'm not using, and i was going to throw out this cute little G. We'll just spruce them up a little... Dr. Frank, we could use a little of that hemp how if you'd like... okay, right on like that, now in E the V chord is B7, so now we've got a lovely B9 (b13). isn't that special?

Um . .. shovel those lyrics under the concrete we're laying down. Nobody will notice. Besides, we're working on a song for Phil Collins . . . . lyrics don't really matter . . here, I bought these down at the Lyric Depot . . nail a couple of these up on the verse . . . there ya go. Looks nice. Oh shit! The chorus just fell down!
Oh yeah? That's fine for you, you're an accepted member of the entertainment community. What about me? What about Igor? Marginalized by Hollywood yet again. I want my Mummy . . .

[quote]Originally posted by Doctor Frankensteinway: [b]The chorus just fell down![/b][/quote] aww, just get some duct tape....that'll fix it! duct tape is like the force - it has a light side, it has a dark side and it holds the universe together :D
0096 2251 2110 8105

Archived