Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Tork...& to think---it coulda been Steve Stills

d  halfnote

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Shark, none of the "official" reports give the cause, but he was enduring that tongue cancer for 10 years.

I didn't hear anything about it until seeing a MeTV "blurb" during a commercial break last night.(They show "vintage" TV shows,THE MONKEES once being in their line-up).

I grudgingly spent the day in an ER finding out what WASN'T the cause of my difficulty. :mad: d's right about STILLS, and I think( and mentioned elsewhere) that it WAS Stephen, after not getting the part, who jokingly suggested PETE try out! ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

d's right about STILLS, and I think( and mentioned elsewhere) that it WAS Stephen, after not getting the part, who jokingly suggested PETE try out! ;)

Whitefang

That story is in today's Washington Post, as part of Pete's obituary. Seems Steve Stills called Peter Tork, and suggested he audition, after Stills was turned down, but Tork blew it off . . . until he got another call from Stills a few days later, persuading him to go for it.

Can't say I was really a fan, but I do have fond memories of Pleasant Valley Sunday, and Daydream Believer on AM radio, wa-a-ay back in the Stone Age . . . or should I say the Rock Age? Their Music was made to make you feel good, and if it was the artistic equivalent of Coke or Pepsi, well, there are far worse things.

Rest in peace, brother, and thank you for the sweet memories.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

d's right about STILLS, and I think( and mentioned elsewhere) that it WAS Stephen, not getting the part, suggested PETE try out!

That story is in today's Washington Post, as part of Pete's obituary.

Can't say I was really a fan. If their music was the artistic equivalent of Coke or Pepsi, well, there are far worse things.

Also not really a fan, even then, but there was more to them than it seemed.

[video:youtube]

Them Monkees made a movie

written by Jack Nicholson and Bob Rafelson

The film featured Victor Mature as "The Big Victor" and cameo appearances by Nicholson, Teri Garr, Carol Doda,

Annette Funicello, Frank Zappa, Sonny Liston,

Timothy Carey, Percy Helton and Ray Nitschke.

Also appearing in brief non-speaking parts were Dennis Hopper and film choreographer Toni Basil.

Mickey D sings some jazz blues

Mikey N teaches a lesson abt the use of 5/4 in pop music

Finally our subject here, Pete T, 'splains himself

& seems just abt like what we might've heard from The J Airplane or any other W Coast band of the era.

d=halfnote

DAMN d!

Do you know HOW MANY YEARS it's been since I first( and only time) saw that MONKEES show intro with ZAPPA? :o

Damn near swallowed my TONGUE at the time! :laugh:

Thanks for that. :) And too, with the mention of HEAD, you might have given this.... ;)

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/X2AIxd8yhJY

"Headquarters"( '67) was their first LP that had Tork, Nesmith, Dolenz and Jones playing their own instruments on, with Tork mostly handling keyboard work and session Bassist CHIP DOUGLAS handling the bottom end.

What tickles me about that is that was kid actor STANLEY LIVINGSTON's character's name on the "My Three Sons" TV show! :D

Whitefang

Oh MAN that is sad news.

I really liked that show as a kid, especially the music interludes.

I recall seeing the Monkeemobile at least once, at a auto show.

RIP Mr Tork. You are definitely on the soundtrack of my life.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived