Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ghost in the Machine

BEMcCut

This isn't about the Police album but what was going on with my Kurzweil PC361 last night. I have been rehearsing for an audition with a local band. Many hours spent creating sounds for the 8 songs they gave me. Last night the Kurzweil started doing crazy things. Volume kept cutting out, octaves switched on patches and one setup transposed itself up one step. A Roland VR-09 and Motif ES6 had zero problems. I re-booted it and it worked fine the rest of my rehearsal but now I have doubts about it's reliability. Two days before the audition. Just my luck.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like to hear these stories. Gives me the willies.

So far, so good (with my PC3).

P.S. Sorry I wasn't able to help you with repair advice. I'm just another Kurzweil owner with fingers crossed and some repair money squirreled away.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

At rehearsal last week, I had my PC3 crackle and reboot every time I touched the expression pedal. Seems there was some type of electrical static interference. I put my iPad soft case between it and the floor which stopped it from happening to get through rehearsal. Haven't tried it at home yet since then. Weird.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I also have a PC361 that has some intermittent strangeness. Generally, making sure all cables and connectors are properly seated can do wonders for PC3s. The spotty pitch wheel is another known issue. If you're comfortable opening it, cleaning and checking connections, that would be my recommendation.

This isn't about the Police album but what was going on with my Kurzweil PC361 last night. I have been rehearsing for an audition with a local band. Many hours spent creating sounds for the 8 songs they gave me. Last night the Kurzweil started doing crazy things. Volume kept cutting out, octaves switched on patches and one setup transposed itself up one step. A Roland VR-09 and Motif ES6 had zero problems. I re-booted it and it worked fine the rest of my rehearsal but now I have doubts about it's reliability. Two days before the audition. Just my luck.

I had the same with my PC3. Transposed half step during a gig, sometimes no sound. It didnt occur often, but often enough to drive me crazy. I constantly was Wondering if I did something wrong (because I could never reproduce it), or the kurz did show intermittend behaviour. Finally concluded it was the last and sold the board (with mentioning of this behaviour!).

Rudy

I have all three in the PC3 series. Any time I'm going somewhere other than usual places, I make sure to carry along a smaller size APC UPS. From reports over they years, the PC3 series doesn't tolerate low and fluctuating AC voltage input as well as some boards. Note that I personally haven't experienced that problem, but my precautions may be why.

Bring it home and test - works with no problems. Sporadic problems - maybe the venue had some problem wiring, or some heavy intermittent load on that circuit, or ...

May not be the cause, but a possibility. If so, an AC power regulator to insure proper input voltage consistently just may be the answer.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Mine had one really bad night where it refused to boot, and has had an ongoing screen flicker pretty much since I got it (used). When it has worked (which is 99.8% of the time) it's been a fantastic keyboard...but I can't recommend it after my experience and that of others.

What "fixed" mine was to go into the Kurzweil "safe mode" (not the exact name, but it reminds me of the Windows safe mode). I chose the boot option from there and since then it hasn't had the issue.

I suspect power as the culprit, simply because that was a gig where I used available stage power instead of using our bass players rack unit, like I have done on almost 200 other gigs...the stage had lots of outlets and seemed like a very pro setup, and it was quite convenient for me to just plug in right next to me...I wondered afterward if something was up with it. If that was NOT the reason, it's quite a coincidence.

MoodyBluesKeys I don't think it was a power issue. I was rehearsing in my home studio. I had the keyboard plugged into a Furman power conditioner and the indicators didn't show a dip or spike in power. Thanks for the response.

Archived