Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Note from one of your friendly admins.

zeronyne

Hello, peeps,

So I'm hearing that with the sale of New Bay Media to Future Music, this forum could be in jeopardy. They Keyboard forum has made contingency plans that are not really practical for this board, but I'd like to hear from you guys, especially the longtime lurkers, whether there is even momentum left here to look for or consider an alternative to this space that brings the "spirit" of this group along with it. Frankly, I can't quite tell if there is real activity on this board or not. We maybe in a situation where only 5-15 people are actually using this board at all.

So if you just lurk in the shadows, this would be a good time to chime in if you want to see this forum continue. To be clear, I have no insider knowledge. But I've been part of many web property acquisitions, so I know how this could play out.

Let me hear from you!

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see it continue, personally. It may be time for it to fade into legend but I found a home here a few decades back and this is still my first stop each morning. It certainly doesn't have the traffic other sites generate but the knowledge and professionalism of those involved here makes this the stop for professionals and serious players. We've seen n00bs come here and hesitantly question their abilities, seek support when they're struggling and gain confidence mainly because of the support and advice of the folks here, where they might have been swept under the rug or ridiculed at other sites by members who were, dare I say it, less than supportive or downright cruel (since it's always easier to feel good about yourself when you're tearing someone else down).

The future of any discussion group is always tentative and can cease to exist on a moment's notice, sad but true. I'd like to see this one stay because I believe it has real value, moreso than other vanity groups.

Except for Lug, of course. There's always That One Guy... :D

Play. Just play.

This needs to be saved because it has "That One Guy". Not every forum can boast that.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

While I might not be as active a poster as I have been in the past, I do check in here a few times a week just to blow the cobwebs away and check the lights are still working. I'm in the FB Low Down group, and friends there with some of you. I'd hate to see this go away, but it is what it is.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I understand that cost may be a factor. If the archive goes away, I'd hope we have some warning though, so we can find time to extract useful information from the site before it disappears.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

A hangout like this would be tough to duplicate these days. It always seemed like our "Dino-Saucery" kept the nuisances away.

I'm surprised they let us keep this as long as we have. For the past few years I felt we're just a system upgrade from being dropped.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I'm surprised they let us keep this as long as we have. For the past few years I felt we're just a system upgrade from being dropped.

Indeed. IIR, what happened is that they pulled the plug on us once without warning. Many of us screamed "WTF? A little warning would be nice, fella! We got family to keep track of!" and so they put the site back up. After that episode the exodus was pretty dramatic as other connections were made post haste since we all assumed the near death experience was not a one-off event...oar knot.

I love that "oar knot" thing.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

It is so beautiful to see you all, long time friends. I am afraid that this is quite an exclusive club, but I like seeing you again. You might think I am mostly hanging on the FB group, but, actually, I almost have cancelled my subscription.

I admit I am roaming on Twitter too much, but for totally different reasons and on totally different themes (by the way, I am @cosmic53, was tweeting a lot on computer programming, but now politics has become very hot and, yes, I am italian).

Mostly the wear of this kind of interactions led me here tonight looking for good friends.

This, and the fact that I am resisting actively the idea that at 65 one could just sit in front of GarageBand, or TV.

So, hello everybody. I am here. Hugs to everyone.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a lot of time here. I found it years ago when I was young and foolish. Good friends here. It hasn't seemed the same for a while. I'm surprised it's still here. I thought it was going away a while ago, and went looking. I spend a lot of time at "the other place" and even moderate a forum.

I do come and look here from time to time. It was my first online home.

• 2 weeks later...
It at least needs to stick around in case I ever have to name my band.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 3 weeks later...

I would think that an approach like the "keyboard corner II" would work for keeping in touch. One person setup the site after the sudden disappearance of the whole New Bay Media site, the site does not have a continuing cost (although there are some ads).

Right now the site is dormant, but could be back live within hours if something permanent or long term happened here.

The one real problem is that it does not keep the historical information. Not knowing enough about the existing forum software and it's database; I don't know how insurmountable that would be. If it were permitted to obtain a copy of the whole database, that might be possible to migrate or setup some sort of archive.

One thing for sure: the "atmosphere" here (and on KC) is LOTS better than most other places (Mastering VAST) forums have a similar atmosphere, but are primarily focused on Kurzweil gear).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived