Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia MicroFreak

On 1/26/2019 at 11:20 PM, Ed A. said:

"Good" is something to my liking. I'm definitely not a piano player, I like experimental music more than I like mainstream, but this just sounds harsh and any demo I've heard seems to be trance/dance oriented. Not my kind of thing. No interesting soundscape/pad demos, or things I've never heard before?

I made 260 patches on the thing that are decidedly NOT trance/dance. So I wouldn't write off a synth just because it ships with crap presets.

The capacitive aftertouch, mod matrix, and variety of synthesis models (virtual analog, FM, wavetable, etc.) definitely make it a great synth for experimental sounds. It's really fun. For ambient pads and soundscapes you'll probably want to pair it with a nice reverb or delay, since it doesn't have any built-in effects.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Revisiting the 'Thread that will not die' :laugh:.  

Turns out I had couple hundred dollar+ credit with GC of which I wasn't aware, and it was about to be turned over to the state as 'unclaimed property'.  So I found a mint condition used MicroFreak on their site; and for $72 additional, it's on the way to my local GC.

Now to find a relatively inexpensive FX pedal that has at least delay...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 6 months later...

Had the chance to play one of these guys at GC a few weeks back. It's surprisingly fun to play, if a little different feeling. Sounds pretty good too.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments