Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What to do.

EdMusic

Hi, long time lurker here and really enjoy all the insights and opinions that you pros share on this forum.

At this moment my setup is a Roland FA08 as my main board and my top board is a Nord EX compact. MBP Mainstage is routed through the FA to its SUB-Out, so no additional interface is needed for now. Signals of the FA, the Nord and Mainstage (via the FA Subout) through a Yamaha MG submix and to FOH.

With all the Mainstage possibilities, I only use the Nord for some organ patches now although I guess a good VST can do the same. So the Nord is kind of redundant in this setup although I like the keybed a lot and the possibility to switch to a different keyboard within a patch of MS by selecting Panel A or B on the Nord.

I am thinking of selling the Nord and invest in a quality controller and some additional software dedicated to organ and some more, or maybe another top board ie. MoDX just for the sounds of it.

or just leave it this way because if it isnt broken, dont fix it.

Just curious on your thoughts on this.

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. If you like the Nord keep it. There are no really good controllers except for the Physis and it is a weighted board. I would be inclined to keep the action you like and control everything from the Software side and through something like SetList Maker .... But I'm a hardware live guy.

PS - I know nothing about Mainstage. At Home I've always used Cantabile. I guess my point is there aren't any great 'pure' non hammer action 'controllers'. Best I've played in recent years were the Novation SL MK2 61 and it only had 8 faders not 9 to use as drawbars.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It never hurts to have a self contained backup board in case the FA craps out. i only gig with my Electro 4D, but I always have a pair of Yamaha refaces with me in case it falters.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I am using Setlistmaker for a few years now, it sends all the program changes to the gear, so absolutely happy with this.

I have been using this setup for a few years now and it works for me. But you know how it goes, getting itchy to change your setup with new gear without having a real reason to do so..

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

Archived