Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why I like Prog

The Real MC

Yeah, I only found this forum recently, definitely seen quite a bit of contention. Maybe I came in at a bad time?

Oh, its never a bad time in that sense. Its simply that I got to see Larry Fast touring with Nektar (*and* Peter Gabriel, oh what a lucky man I am), so like many here, I'm of a certain age that can fall prey to a brief elder's case of CrankyPants. Actually, that's become the spirit of the age. Younger people get madder faster, just at very different things. The reasons aren't necessarily any dumber than OURS, either.

For example, I find it funny when someone claims that analog is better than digital. They're simply different flavors of ice cream and a lot of analog gear has benefited from digital elements, such as effects you can take out of the signal path at will. It reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon where 3 men are looking at a glass on a table. One is thinking "That's only half full." One is thinking "That's half empty." The third is thinking "What on Earth is that doing there without a coaster?"

I advise using this logical patch overlay for any argument herein. :hitt:

I didnt have a moog or other fabled monophonic analog - but I had an analog Roland board in the 80s - it was/is a complete POS compared to my modern digital boards. Couldnt do 5% of MODX, and did 0% better. Literally nothing better about it unless you like wondering if your wandering oscillators will even be in tune the next time you select the same pre-saved patch (of the approx 50 patches you can save in total). Maybe you like the concept of polyphonic being literally 6 notes max. Maybe some guys like that stuff - not me.

I actually gave it away to a muso in my area a few years ago that had an unsupported affection for the old analog board. I think someone had it in his first high school garage band or something. Sure - i basically chucked a snappy $50 but hes an actual struggling musician so ... my gift to the community. He recently recorded his first album - he didnt use it lol.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disco kicks ass without the constant incessant wankery. The Ohio Players, KC and the Sunshine Band, Kool and the Gang, Chic, The Gap Band, The Spinners, The Emotions...... Great tunes, great grooves.

Thank you!!!!!

As far as this topic: I don't like nor dislike like any genre. If I like a song, I like a song. Country, Prog, EDM, Pop, Rock, Classical, Jazz, Hip Hop, Hardcore Rap, etc.

I do have my preferences, but I will never dismiss something out of hand just because it falls into a certain musical category.

I am the same. I never cared much about some prog because it's not dance music, but I liked some of it very much because I also like a lot of classical and other musics. I also loved disco because the good stuff was very danceable and also highly arranged with great bass lines and good keyboard and horn parts, strings too. "Disco Inferno" may be my all time favorite - silly lyrics but catchy music, excellent production and arranging. Burn that mutha down. There's also the Stones' "Miss You." Purists might not call it disco, but when you start in with the lick and that beat, the dance floor fills immediately. That's what I'm after - a happy crowd of smiling people shaking their bootys, having a great time, enjoying the music and the band - and tipping well. :love:

Edit: that reminds me to start a thread about tipping the band. A friend says millennials don't tip because they don't appreciate the music and the musicians. Others say they don't tip because they don't use cash anymore. Sorry to go off topic. Look for another thread.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Archived