Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which iOS/iPad audio interface?

Synthaholic

With all the news and recent threads about new iPad apps for controlling new iPad multitimbral sound apps, which audio interface should I get?

Id want:

iPad control of the interface instead of relying on a laptop

At least 4 outputs

I also want ADAT input, since I use some Alesis gear

The only two I can find under $500 are the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and the PreSonus Studio 1824 but Im confused as to whether you can control them totally from the iPad. I have the iPad Pro 12 with 512GB.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

For Focusrite, I'm not sure there's a way to adjust interface parameters from iOS. There is Focusrite Control, but so far as I can tell, that communicates with the desktop app that needs to be running on a Mac OS X machine plugged in to the interface. (cf https://focusrite.com/focusrite-control and https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/212028389-Focusrite-iOS-Control-Basic-setup .) I've used a first generation Scarlett 18i20 to record into Auria Pro on the iPad and it works well, but I have to setup the monitoring matrix, etc. via a laptop.

Mark Of The Unicorn's AVB interfaces all allow complete configuration and control via a web interface. This means that even while one is plugged into an iPad via USB, one can change parameters from a web browser on the same network. (A web browser on the iPad will work, though switching apps while recording is a no go. You rarely want to do that any way. You can even control it from a phone, thought the UI gets scrunched pretty badly.) The web UI is good, though as one adds tracks, one has to be careful about which browser one uses as the UI can get very buggy in terms of scrolling. The AVB units are also incredibly expandable by adding more interfaces and plugging them together using ethernet cable.

The issue with the MOTU setup is you'll need a WiFi access point to plug the interface into and the interfaces are a bit pricier too. (They're also a generally higher spec product than e.g. the Focusrite Scarlett line, though whether that matters or not depends on the application.) If using more than one together, an AVB hub is required.

PreSonus might have something, but a quick look at their iOS apps indicates the control stuff is for the StudioLive mixers and things that have WiFi. The PreSonus story looks similar to MOTU: control is over standard networking and is for units that have Ethernet connectivity. (I think some of their products might have built-in WiFi. Behringer does this on their stage mixers and such as well. That's getting to a bigger and more expensive box than you likely want.)

A friend recently went through this and ended up with one of Apogee's interfaces (Duet I believe) as the MOTU UltraLite wouldn't (easily) do audio I/O and MIDI at the same time from iOS. I don't know if it allows control from iOS or if he's using the physical controls. (It was decided to switch to a laptop due to iOS app issues such as each patch having massively different volume. Not the interface's fault, but par for the course: a smart person spending an hour or three on the issue and deciding they'd rather play music than debug a system.)

Per the thread on iPads, there oughta be a much easier and better answer to this question. There's a ton of stuff for a good price that almost works, but my experience for iPad recording indicates one wants to configure the interface with a laptop or use the physical controls on the interface to make adjustments.

-Z-

Thank you, Zalman Stern! I had come to pretty much the same conclusion about still needing a laptop. The need for WiFi is a dealbreaker. I want to use this interface live and I cant count on WiFi being available. I may record with it at home, but the main function would be to send different iPad sounds to different channels in my mixer. The PreSonus has 8 line outs, plus L&R Mains. So I was hopeful about that one.

The iConnectivity interface looks good (no ADAT. :( ), but Ive read some bad reviews on the controlling software. And Im still not sure if an iPad is all you need.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnAudio4p--iconnectivity-iconnectaudio4

Meh. All the biggest brains are here at the Keyboard Corner. :)

The need for WiFi is a dealbreaker. I want to use this interface live and I cant count on WiFi being available.

Just to clarify, you need to plug your own WiFi access point into the interface via Ethernet to give a way to get to the soft UI. Venue WiFi is irrelevant. It might also work on an iPad with the USB to Ethernet adapter, though I'm guessing it still needs something to provide DHCP, so the WiFi hub is still there, but that avoids running the radios. (Theoretically the interface could provide all the network services needed, but I don't think any of them do.) That'll also need a USB hub.

Not sure how this plays out with the higher-end Dante stuff, but my guess is no one tries to use that kit with iOS.

The Crumar/GSi approach puts WiFi access point hardware into a keyboard (or the Gemini) to allow access to soft UI on a phone/iPad/laptop.

-Z-

Thanks for that, Zalman.

Ive discovered that an iOS interface must be CoreAUDIO Compliant and USB Compliant.

The Steinberg UR824 looks very good, but costs $800. It has plenty of inputs and outputs, 2 ADAT connections, plus comes with an iPad app and Cubase LE for iPad.

But then you come to the fine (and I mean tiny) print: *Please note that in CC mode you can only use the analog inputs and outputs.

CC mode is iPad mode. *sigh*

Oh, and I just noticed: no MIDI. :cry:

• 1 month later...

Thank you to so many in the community who offered suggestions in this thread.

I went with the MOTU Ultralite AVB.

Archived