Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The List Of Stunningly Hot Gtr Solos That Nobody Knows

d  halfnote

I suspect there will be, maybe, more than a few entries... :laugh:

As always, submissions, no matter how self-evident they may seem, are best accompanied by some commentary that indicates their value in this list.

Exhibit A

Though respected even by those like Frank Zappa who found him a bit, uh, hard to deal with, Captain Beefheart [aka Don Van Vlet] was a bandleader equally devoted to blues, soul, jazz, rock & the avant-garde.

His bands consistently had gtr players able to hold their own in all those categories.

This submission, from one of his later records, features a player going by the nom du disque Zoot Horn Rollo (aka Bill Harkleroad).

Here he demonstrates some blues slide chops that challenge the late great John Dawson Winter 3rd for both authenticity & freneticism.

I particularly like how he insists on playing variations on a single line thoughout the solo.

As a side issue, dig how the drummer, aptly named Art Tripp, previously of a performer w/John Cage, the Cincinnati Symphony & Zappa, supports not just the ensemble but the gtr...it sounds as though he plays the same part thoughout but listen closely---on a 2nd track he's adding variations. :cool:

The entire track's great but the real fun starts @ 1:50.

[video:youtube]

Whatchu got, Player ?

[enter as many times as y'like but please, only 1 track per post]

:snax:

d=halfnote

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savoy Brown with the great Kim Simmons on lead. This tune grabbed me early on, an instrumental in an album full of Blues-Rock, where the Guitar screamed, and delivered a serious gut-punch! Hell, yes!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Another favorite from way back, featuring the much-lamented Ollie Halsall on Guitar. I loved the whole album, but this was just amazing!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Last entry from me . . . well, for this evening at least. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, featuring Zal Cleminson on Gibson SG. Another tune that just grabbed me as soon as I heard it; incredibly tight, and very, very strange. VAMBO ROOLZ, OKAY!

I did listen to Savoy Brown for a while as a teen.

Hadn't remembered them for yrs.

I do intend this to be a serious appraisal of neglected work (& I haven't myself audited any of the postings) but I gotta ask...

Why did YTube select a pic of Keef Richards for the face of that clip ?! :freak:

OK, I'm sorry. Back to serious mode !

S Brown / Waiting In the Bamboo Grove

Even more psycho-single-minded than the Harkleroad solo I posted !

& def in the Bo Diddley beat sweepstakes.

The timbre is def snarltastic --- kinda reminds me of early Santana, both in tone & phrasing---a previously unrecognized influence on Carlos ?!

Kevin Ayers "See You Later / Didn't Feel Lonely Till I Thought Of You"

I like those songs (quite clever, in a way a bit similar to Ray Davies or Randy Newman) & I'll buy into the value of the solo that breaks loose at 2:09...esp the loopiness starting @ 2:25 & the rubbery "seasick" effect @ 2:40 !

Thanks for that one, Winster ! :2thu:

10cc - Feel The Benefit

For a moment at the beginning I thought I was hearing a demo for "Because" from The Beatles's ABBEY ROADHOUSE.

The solo [3:45 + ] itself is quite majestic & might fit well as the climax of AR...but wait, what's this---more gtr stuff [5 min mark / 6:22 / 6:50 (return of "Hear Cometh The Son Of Here Comes The Sun" / & now I hear the solo AString cited (just past min mark), a sorta Dave Gilmourish exposition that's suddenly cut off in mid-expo--- :freak:--- that supposed to happen ? ]

10 CC did always make good records & they apparently continued to do so even after, as it says there, Godley & Creme.

Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione

Thanx for the tip, Dan...although it sounds as if that clip's source had some skips around the 2 min area.

The gtr statement of the theme during 3/4 mins is nice but, ah!, here we go: 5:19...that is good stuff & has some impressive spiralling lines (diff form but, to me, remindful of the Kim Simmonds example Winston posted).

When this was all over the radio Back Then, I tuned it out---LOOK WHAT I MISSED !

Which is kinda the point here, innit it ?!

BTW, after I listened to the Mangione clip YT kindly offered me a great Geogre Duke live perf [ no gtr content but chk it out at

]

So that was a double bonus !

:like:

Who's next ?

Or what does anyone other than me think of what's been posted ?

:snax:

d=halfnote

One of my all-time favorites on vinyl. The whole collection is worth a listen and, this isn`t exactly about a solo in the usual sense but, check the playing throughout-lovely rhythm, tonal changeups, complex lines-fugeddaboudit...

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I'm not sure, but I THINK this is Bill Spooner doing this solo( at the 2:05 or so mark).

& what would you say is the reason we should listen to it ?

[Please reread OP = "As always, submissions, no matter how self-evident they may seem, are best accompanied by some commentary that indicates their value in this list."]

It's the 21st C---at the rate we're moving it's almost the 22nd C !

I wouldn't expect busy ppl to chk something out if I don't have time to tell 'em why... :idk

The intent here is not to post & run but to entice others to chk out what they may not be hip to...& also to endorse worthy submissions by providing reactions to what we hear.

BTW, that's not just me commenting but "airbody" !

Them's not The Rules but they are, I think, good ideas

Skipper, glad you posted both access-ways to Jimmy Vince ... the single track started as more early 197-tease Motownish than the LongPlayer turned out, which so far seems much more jazzerific !

What's anybody else think ?

d=halfnote

d

That is why I recommended the whole collection-there`s spacy atmospheric stuff with subtle guitar, Latin flavor with percussion, and the aforementioned Motown influence-several members of Earth Wind and Fire were among the cast. My French is very basic but, I always wondered why it isn`t Tour DU Force. Anyway that IMO fits this work.

No more reason d than anyone has for listening to anything YOU post.

Or, READING anything also. ;)

Some people just LIKE certain things, and for no other reason except that it somehow APPEALS to them. You look at or try to analyze something too much or too hard and your thoughts and eyesight gets blurry. THEN when you try to put all that BLUR into words, well..... you wind up with a typical d post.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well in fairness, it`s not such a bad thing to metacognize sometimes. Not just think something, but think about the fact that you`re thinking it and why. Some people are more articulate than others-it doesn`t make their choices any less valid. In sum, aside from shifting the burden of proof-let`s count how many minds have been changed by that-I`m not sure there`s a good reason to insist on analysis.

No more reason d than anyone has for listening to anything YOU post.

Or, READING anything also. ;)

Some people just LIKE certain things, and for no other reason except that it somehow APPEALS to them. You look at or try to analyze something too much or too hard and your thoughts and eyesight gets blurry. THEN when you try to put all that BLUR into words, well..... you wind up with a typical d post.

Follow yer own rules, Matey, but to not be able to say why one likes something or to think there's no reason to do so insults both the art one thinks they honor & the intended audience.

Doesn't have to be heavily analytical, merely an introduction or enticement.

So...case closed...let's get back to the point, eh ? :rawk:

Lemme help by suggesting this stunning solo which, while not a true surprise, as most here might be, is one that may not be known in particular.

Extra gravy comes from the incidental relevance to this position in the thread :rolleyes:

but more importantly the band context (all introduced in the clip), which includes the Master Blaster Hiram Bullock.

Who'd not like having him be yer 2nd guitarist ?

You can already see by this clip's frame blow who the star is but even beyond that you will be stunned by what he whips out in this case !

I'd point out the solo times but you won't wanna miss a note[*]---plus the man delivers one of his best vox (& I heard that cat play live 100+ times before he even got famous).

[* bonus points for spotting his inclusion of the "I'm in w/the In Crowd" melody quote & even more points if you can name the quote that follows, which I haven't been able to ID :idk (heard at 4:07~4:150 ]

OH !

& that he thing he does w/the the drummer @4:20 + is a gas ! :cool:

d=halfnote

Archived